It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Sciatica with Numbness, Pins & Needles

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
    Sciatica with Numbness, Pins & Needles

Hi,

For about 2-3 weeks leading up to last Thursday I was having more & more trouble doing my exercises, causing muscle pain (especially in my thighs & legs). Also over this time, all the bones/muscles in my hips, sacro area, bones in rear end, and tailbone area starting aching. First I thought it was flaring due to the weather, but once the weather turned dry again, it still went on. Then last Thursday, it was really bad..I had a hard time sitting, moving, and bending. With all this, though, I did not seem to have any pain in my lower back...just the buttocks/hips areas. I felt as If I fell onto my rear and hips from high up, or was kicked by a horse. THursday night into Friday, I woke up in the middle of the night in intense pain (was laying on my left side). It killed the back of my thigh when I moved, but I was half asleep. I got out of bed, then stumbled, realizing I had no feeling in my left foot (so I almost fell). I hobbled around, trying to stretch and jiggle my foot around until pins & needles came in my foot and it felt a little better. I kept waking up during the night with sharp pains in the back of my thigh and down the side of my leg.
    Then on Friday, the numbness was back and it seemed I had sciatica starting from my rear (near my sacro area), the pain searing in my rear, into the outer back of my thigh, down the outside of my calf, into my outer ankle and into my foot. Over a few days, the foot stayed pretty much numb (with bouts of pins & needles coming & going). I'm also feeling a bit constipated and had some pins & needles in my rear area as well. I first called my rheumy on Monday b/c it hadnt gotten any better & i was having trouble walking (especially since I have something wrong with my right foot so Have to put all my pressure on my left foot, but now I cant do that because my left foot is numb). My spine doc is an hour's drive away and I knew i'd never be able to sit that long as the pain is wayy worse while sitting. My rheumy had me come in as soon as I hung up the phone with his office, he gave my numbing shots & percocet and said it seemed like my sciatic nerve is being pinched/compressed. He said if it didnt resolve in a few days, Id have to have another MRI done. (this, though would be another long story with insurance and I'm just waiting for them to start denying my requests for authorizations because i've had so many other issues). It's now been over a week and I kept thinking it would go away or resolve itself (because many times it does). From my reading, it seems to me like I probably have another disc herniation or something...I'm wondering if I wait too long if this nerve pain and foot & ankle numbness might become permanent?

(I;'ve had quite a few MRI's already and having trouble getting them approved anymore...it also just took me 2 months to get auth for a right ankle MRI, which Im getting on Monday...my PT's & other docs feel that my right ankle problem is or will cause me more back problems if not fixed and now I may need to get another MRI of my spine to see whats causing the sciatica & numbness.....I am just hoping I didnt develop more stenosis lower down in such a short time...ughhhh)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Sciatica with Numbness, Pins & Needles

Oh Baybreeze, I am so sorry you are going thru this. You have been thru the wringer and back. I pray that you find some relief soon.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
    girl12345
    (female)

girl12345 HB User

I am going through something similar to you. I have had burning pain down my legs and had a hard time sitting, standing and walking. I have even left work early a few days. I did have and still have pins and needles feeling, but I have not had much loss of feeling in my legs. I have not had increase in back pain. I have not had the burning sensation in a long time and never in both legs. The last time was right before my surgery, I think. I do not know what to do because I was just at the doctors a few weeks ago and I really do not want to go back. When I was there I was doing ok. I did have some pain, but nothing out of ordinary for me. He did say that I could get an injection if I want, but they never did much to help and I got sick from two of them (spinal headaches). Let me know what you find out.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

Hello baybreeze i understand where you are coming from with the sciatica and not being able to sit and stand. The pain is the worst ever, however I just wanted to let you know that I hope you find some relief soon ans that you are in my prayers.
    Rachel

Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
    twopurringcats
    (female)

twopurringcats HB User

Hi Baybreeze,

I am undergoing the same problem right now, and it is incredibly painful, so I feel for you. Stay flat, on your back. The doctor took xrays and a CT scan on Weds. and told me I have a pinched nerve right above the tailbone (L5). He prescribed physical therapy, which I haven't started yet, and meds. The pain was fiercely shooting down my left leg when I went to the doctor, so I took a taxi. The pain is too strong to drive, I know. Hopefully your doctor can prescribe you some more effective meds over the phone. Feel better soon!

Carolyn (still flat on my back but slowly improving)

Last edited by twopurringcats; 03-17-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

THanks for your support, everyone! I didnt even get these replies in my email...maybe I forget to check that off when I posted this. <duhhh>. I still have the pain and still have left foot & ankle numbness. The best thing is laying down, however I cant lay my left leg flat because it pulls or feels like my nerve is stretching in that position too. You should see how I'm sleeping!! I have a huge pillow propped under my left leg to keep it bent, I have a towel under my lumbar area and I have flatter pillow on each side of me which I pushed a bit underneath my self so that my butt area isn't really pressing into the mattress (because that ends up hurting too). I still wake up at night, especially if I try to turn while sleeping, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the pain is sooo sharp! I'm wondering if it's in my "S" area discs or something Though Im not sure if there even are discs that far down...anyone know? I definitley felt it in my tailbone area. It was weird because it come on gradually over 2 to 3 weeks and doesnt seem to be in the same area I had my surgery. I dont even have back spasms or pain in my lower back, but I do get pain in my rear while sitting, as well as the sciatic pain, etc...I just dont understand why this is happening now...i've been going to physical therapy for a whole year now! So it cant be due to lack of exercise or abdominal tone. And I didnt lift anything or twist or injure myself in any way. I felt like I had a lupus arthritis flare, except that it was happening in my seat area (which is not related to lupus, but it felt inflamed & stiff, etc...)

Tomorrow I have to get an MRI on my right ankle and I am dreading it because I know I'll be in alot of pain laying flat in that machine. I already told them I have this sciatica going on & will probably start trembling like I did the last time I had an MRI. THey had to keep doing it over b/c the images were fuzzy. Don't mind me, I'm just griping right now.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #7
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Wow......that is scary stuff. Once you have surgery do you always live in fear??

Baybreeze .....please scroll down I directed a question to you.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:38 AM   #8
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pepper,

I just live in fear of falling or being in an auto accident so Im very vigilent while driving and very careful going down stairs or walking in the snow. Oh, I'm also very careful about activities I do now, I don't lift much or strain my back so I can avoid more problems...except I dont know how this problem started (the only thing i'm doing lately is sitting alot more at work because it's busy now).

Pep, scroll down as well, I did reply to your other question...

Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Wow! My fear is an auto accident too and falling. That is what concerns me more than anything else. I have not step foot outside in icy weather once since my surgery. way am I going to fall.

Closed Thread