It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• how long did epidural injection relief last

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
    nashvillegirl
    (female)

nashvillegirl HB User
    how long did epidural injection relief last

Hi, I have DDD and herniated disc at the L5-S1 with bad sciatia don the right leg. I had 2 epidural injections about 7 months ago and they weren't bad at all. I got about 90% relief from them and so far it has lasted pretty well. In the past few weeks, I can feel the pain coming back, not as bad as it was before the injections, as I was in excrutiating pain, but it's getting progressively worse and I'm afraid it's heading there again.

If you had success with the injections, how long did they last? I am guessing I am going to have to have another ( DR. told me to keep my 3rd one on reserve since I did so well after the first 2). How long can you keep getting these until you have to have surgery? Do they stop working as long over time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: how long did epidural injection relief last

Hi Nashville, I had the same diagnosis as you and the same symptoms in my right leg. Small world, huh?

You can have no more than 3 injections in the same location in a given year. I think you are one of the rare individuals to have had 7 months of pain relief.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
    nashvillegirl
    (female)

nashvillegirl HB User

yeah, after reading this board, I am thinking that is the case. My Dr. told me that I can have 3 every 6 months and I have read on the web that some places let you have 3 every 6 months. I think I'm gonna need them. I guess I was hoping it would last forever. It was such a relief to get the pain relief from the injection but I feel it creeping back.

By the way, Diet dr. pepper is my all time fav drink! LOL.

Did you get any relief from them? Did you have surgery?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Unfortunately, I did not get any relief.

You should only have 3 shots in one year. Be very careful or it can mess your pituatary gland up. There is someone on this board that has that problem. I can't remember who.

The quick version of my story is: I had a laminectomy in May 2006 to relieve the pressure off of the nerves. It took about 6 to 8 weeks to return to fairly normal but I will still having some thigh pain. In September of 2006, I was loading the dishwasher and fell to the ground in excrutiating pain to find out that my back had become unstable from all the bone they removed during the laminectomy and I had a fusion in Feb. 1, 2007.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
    Lucy18
    (female)

Lucy18 HB User

[QUOTE=nashvillegirl;2868135]Hi, I have DDD and herniated disc at the L5-S1 with bad sciatia don the right leg. I had 2 epidural injections about 7 months ago and they weren't bad at all. I got about 90% relief from them and so far it has lasted pretty well. In the past few weeks, I can feel the pain coming back, not as bad as it was before the injections, as I was in excrutiating pain, but it's getting progressively worse and I'm afraid it's heading there again.

If you had success with the injections, how long did they last? I am guessing I am going to have to have another ( DR. told me to keep my 3rd one on reserve since I did so well after the first 2). How long can you keep getting these until you have to have surgery? Do they stop working as long over time?[/QUOTE]
    Hi, i have the same diagnosis! L5/S1 disc prolapse with sciatica on the RHS. I am 24, had an epidural in Dec which worked for a few weeks, the 2nd didnt work at all and i am now on the waiting list for surgery. I have had these symptoms for a year (gradually increasing in severity) and now i am on so many painkillers i rattle!! Pls offer advice if you have any! Im really nervous about this surgery since i read the leaflet the hospital sent me but i know the surgeon i have is on eof the best in the field which makes me feel a bit better. I cant exercise due to pain but if you can think of any wisdon you would like to impart then be my guest!! )

Old 03-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Purple"][B]Hey Pepper this could have happen to me , maybe thats why I'm having these problems because of my injections ? Glad you brought that up..
    Nash, please look up the Burton Report and read it,,I don't like to scare people but please read the Report on steroid injections.[/B][/COLOR][QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;2868586]Unfortunately, I did not get any relief.

You should only have 3 shots in one year. Be very careful or it can mess your pituatary gland up. There is someone on this board that has that problem. I can't remember who.

The quick version of my story is: I had a laminectomy in May 2006 to relieve the pressure off of the nerves. It took about 6 to 8 weeks to return to fairly normal but I will still having some thigh pain. In September of 2006, I was loading the dishwasher and fell to the ground in excrutiating pain to find out that my back had become unstable from all the bone they removed during the laminectomy and I had a fusion in Feb. 1, 2007.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

my releif lasted zero seconds, In my case anyway my surgeon told me its just a money racketerring thing. He said in my condition with severe ddd and spondy they would only help three percent of people and it would be temporary.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

Thanks a lot Shawley! I just checked the Burton Report. That is very scarry. I've had Mylogram and many EPI's. But then life is scarry:}. Fred

Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

It's very scary when some doctors push so many in a year and it is plain just not good for you.

Closed Thread