It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Facet Joint Injections

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
    Michael8466
    Veteran
    (male)

Michael8466 HB User
    Facet Joint Injections

My Dr. sent me to a Pain Management Dr., he prescribed drugs that didn't work. He now wants to try facet joint injections. I've had 2 epidural steroid shots in the past, which didn't work. I had a laminectomy done on L3-4, L4-5, 5 months ago. which made me feel worse. I also had a EMG done, which showed some nerve damage in my legs. I just feel like nothing is going to work. Has anyone had these injections in which they've worked? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 03:14 AM   #2
    sherry1
    Inactive
    (female)

sherry1 HB User
    Re: Facet Joint Injections

Hi Miachael

I have had my Facets injected in 5 places in my lower back!

They havent helped with the pain but they have given my back abit more flexibility.

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:11 AM   #3
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Michael,
    Hey bud they may work for you , everyone is different. Don't worry about the injection pain , the epidurals are far worse than these injection's.
    I have had 2 series of injections..I recieved like 6-7 injection's on my left side and around 4-5 on the right each time ,but they didn't help me either.

BUT that's not saying it won't for you..I had a Laminectomy of the
    L4-L5 to , I think that alone is a pretty major surgery , You and I have a big hole back there where everything was cut out and removed..My xray of it look's spooky. Why have you had a laminectomy ? I broke the Lamina bone which made my spine slide forward , it's called Traumatic sponylolisthesis grade 1, I did it @ work. Now I'm unemployed ! I have the pain in the back but the worse pain is in my hip's leg's and feet..Soon I hope try the spinalcord stimulator and see if it takes some pain away.. Have you spoke to your Dr. about this ?

I wish you all the luck in the world to get better.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I wouldn't give up so quickly. I would ask what medications did your doctor try? There are a vast amount of pain medications on the market and each one reacts to your body differently. Sometimes it can take many months or even a year to find an appropriate level of relief from medication.

Bear in mind the goal of Pain management is not 100% relief. Most doctors believe if you've gotten a 50% reduction then their job is done. Realistically speaking the goal is 50-80%.

Additionally medication is not the only thing out there, you need a good multifaceted PM who also can teach you or give you access to non medicinal things like Biofeedback, guided imagry, meditation, self hypnosis and more. Individuals who find themselves relying only on pain medication will be faced with tolerance issues at an early stage meaning it will take more medication to keep the pain in check.

I'd suggest you give the injections a try but also consider working with your PM on other alternatives and different medications. For some of us it has taken years to find what works best in minimizing the pain on a dialy basis.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
    Michael8466
    Veteran
    (male)

Michael8466 HB User

Thanks for the replies, I had the Laminectomy done because my neuro said a fusion wouldn't work. He said the other discs would put to much pressure and they would collapse. I started with L3-4 herniated 4 years ago, then a year later L4-5 herniated, and L5-S1 cracked. I guess I'm lucky there's nothing below S-1. I can't pin point on how I got this way. I just woke up one day and my back was in great pain. The doctors think it's from all the lifting I did at my old job. To top it off it's a workcomp case and I don't know if you dealt with them but there very "special people".

Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
    painful paul
    (male)

painful paul HB User

Definately give it a "shot." You have nothing to lose. I had 2 epidurals, and 4 facet injections. The facet joint injections was indescribable pain. 50 times worse than the epidurals. They had to strap me down. And of course they did not work. Just keep telling yourself... short term pain for long term gain!

Presently I am doing spinal decompression and still scheduled for multilevel disk replacement next month. They said that my z joints were so messed up because of the loss of disk height making the joints rub together really hard, messing up the cartilage.

If they are sure that the facet joints are the cause of the pain, they can do a procedure called thermal ablation. They go in with a little instrument and basically clean up the z joint. Its pretty safe to since the z joints are in the rear of the spine. I think it may even be an outpatient type thing.

So far on this particular post z joint injections done work very well, but thats not the real statistics----- lots of people do well with these injections---- go in with confidence.

Good luck!

Closed Thread