It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Harmony's 1 Week Post-Op ALIF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
    Harmony5
    Veteran
    (female)

Harmony5 HB User
    Harmony's 1 Week Post-Op ALIF

I can't believe I am 1 week post-op already for my ALIF fusion! The post-op pain is not near as severe as I thought it would be.

So far, I do not have the pain I had before my surgery so I'm so thankful for that. Although, when I had my microdisectomy, I didn't have the same pre-op pain for the first two weeks post-op but it came back in two weeks. I'm sure that time it was because I really needed the fusion instead. My dr. at that time, wanted to try the less invasive first. So, I can't wait to find out in a couple of weeks if this helped my pain even before giving it a chance to fuse.

Most of my pain is in my abdomen where the incision is.

I am wearing an Aspen type brace and just got it yesterday. I was fine without it for the time I had to wait but it does feel better wearing it.

I am now just taking 2 extra strength Tylenol for pain when needed and during the day I usually don't need it. A couple of nights I did take 1/2 Percocet with Reglan for nausea at night when the pain was worse. So I have the Percocet on hand if I need it. My pain was much worse before surgery that I had for years so that is probably why this feels not so bad.

I was told to take it easy with walking and just walk around the house and outside for only 5 minutes at a time. This is because I was in a wheelchair for several years and my whole body is not use to it. The doctor said the area at L5/S1 was so damaged and inflammed that he would rather me just wait until I heal. That disk was completely collapsed with bone touching bone and compressing the nerves. The facet joints were also were arthritic.

So, that's where I am at 1 week post-op. I'll keep you up to date on my progress, esp. with my walking which for me to be able to even walk at all is a miracle and also without pain! Yay, I finally got the surgery I needed for so long. I hope I fuse of course, and have a success story to tell you.

Thanks everyone for the support and prayers you have given me. The beach is becoming more and more enjoyable!

Love,
    Harmony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
    Re: Harmony's 1 Week Post-Op ALIF

Wow, Harmony, you've come a long way! You must be thrilled to be out of the wheelchair! Keep up the good work and keep doing what your doctor says. You'll probably have some ups and downs, but that's normal in recovery from this surgery. You hang in there! Sounds like things are really looking up!

Blessings,
    Emily

Old 04-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

PRAISE GOD!! That is wonderful news. I am so happy for you and just remember to take it nice and slow. Congrats.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
    Harmony5
    Veteran
    (female)

Harmony5 HB User

Thanks! I am happy about it too, but being caustiously optomistic, knowing it's early to tell and could change symptoms as you know. So far, it's good though. I'm very glad I had it done. You and others were and are a big help to me. I wasn't as nervous going into it last week because of the support and knowledge from everyone here. I had my doubts and questioning like everyone weeks before but knew I had to do something and this was my only option left.

Harmony

Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

Harmony, I am so happy for you and the great recovery you are having. I cannot believe your pain level went down to where you only nedd tylenol es, that is wonderful. May God continue to bless you harmony with great sucess.
    Rachel

Old 04-03-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
    bailey07
    (female)

bailey07 HB User

Hey Sis,
    My brace is also the same brand, Aspen. I am still taking pain meds and muscle relaxers. Yesterday I started having left calf and thigh muscle cramps when I get up. You don't have these? That is so awesome. Are you sleeping alot, it seems that my body wants to sleep alot. My pain is also where the incision is. Well talk to you soon,
    Bailey07

Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 AM   #7
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Hi guys! My brace is an aspen too. Do you have those velcro draw strings?? Well I found out something at 7 weeks post op that they forgot to tell me at the hospital. So I thought I would pass it along to you.

Before you sit down, unvelcro the draw strings. Sit down and loosely velcro them to your brace. When you stand up, pull the strings tightly and go about your business. (Like duh, they did not tell me this so I was sitting down with it pulled tightly and my brace was riding up my backside. Need I say uncomfortable.)

Also, you know the plastic parts in the back. Slip a super kotex pad in between the back of the brace and the plastic parts. I put the pad in a sock and folded over the edges of the sock before I tucked it in. It helped the plastic parts from digging into my back.

Hope this helps some and applies to your particular aspen brace.

Take care and god bless.

Last edited by ms_west; 04-04-2007 at 02:06 AM.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
    Harmony5
    Veteran
    (female)

Harmony5 HB User

[QUOTE=bailey07;2900702]Hey Sis,
    My brace is also the same brand, Aspen. I am still taking pain meds and muscle relaxers. Yesterday I started having left calf and thigh muscle cramps when I get up. You don't have these? That is so awesome. Are you sleeping alot, it seems that my body wants to sleep alot. My pain is also where the incision is. Well talk to you soon,
    Bailey07[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry you're still getting the muscle cramps, Sis! Bummer! No, I haven't had that. After my last back surgery in '04, I had terrible muscle spasms and tightness in my upper/middle chest and even made it hard to breath. I had Flexeril for it but it didn't help. Yes, I am sleeping a lot too; everytime I lay down I fall asleep and I try to watch TV or a movie and I fall asleep not long after so I miss what I'm watching. I guess we need extra sleep right now.

Take care!

Harmony

Old 04-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User

Harmony - I hope you continue to heal by leaps and bounds! that is great news!! . I am happy for your progress and good news.

Rose

Old 04-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

Harmony I can't believe its been a week either, I can't believe its been over three for me. Congratulations, just think before we know it, it will be a year

Old 04-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
    Harmony5
    Veteran
    (female)

Harmony5 HB User

Thanks Rose and Vette!

Yeah, Vette, it's hard to believe it's over when not long ago I was reading about your upcoming surgery and praying for you on that day! Now we both are post-op and three already for you! I hope and pray you have a good recovery and a sucessful fusion. Thanks both of you for being here!

Harmony

Old 04-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
    Harmony5
    Veteran
    (female)

Harmony5 HB User

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;2901015]Hi guys! My brace is an aspen too. Do you have those velcro draw strings?? Well I found out something at 7 weeks post op that they forgot to tell me at the hospital. So I thought I would pass it along to you.

Hi dietdrpepper! Thanks for the good suggestions about wearing the Aspen brace. Yes, it has the velcro straps but not strings. Maybe it's the same thing you're talking about. It does ride up when sitting and the back thingy pressing in my back so that is all good ideas! It's much better than the hard shell kind of brace. I was fit for one in the hospital and had to use it, but it wasn't for me. The dr. then said I didn't need it so I was soooo glad of that and to have the Aspen instead.

Take care!
    Harmony

Last edited by Harmony5; 04-05-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #13
    Harmony5
    Veteran
    (female)

Harmony5 HB User

[QUOTE=kkmom;2900666]Harmony, I am so happy for you and the great recovery you are having. I cannot believe your pain level went down to where you only nedd tylenol es, that is wonderful. May God continue to bless you harmony with great sucess.
    Rachel[/QUOTE]

Hi Rachel, You are such an encourager - thanks for your post. I'm surprised too that Tylenol is all I need. I expected much worse. So far, so good. I realize it may change but in the meantime, I am thankful. God bless you too!

Harmony

Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #14
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Harmony - my brace is white and velcoro's in the front. Then it has white strings with tan circles - it is a draw string of types - which pulls the brace together.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
    Harmony5
    Veteran
    (female)

Harmony5 HB User

Mine is different than that as I don't have the strings you're talking about. But it is an Aspen. Guess they make different types. :-)

Harmony

Closed Thread