It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Coming Off Pain Killers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
    apartipilo
    (male)

apartipilo HB User
    Coming Off Pain Killers

HI,

I 'm wondering if anyone can share their knowledge about coming off pain killers after 2 back surgeries. The pain now, after about 1 month being off the MS-Contin ( morphine ), is horrendous.
    Is it common for someone to experience a heightened sense of pain after weaning off morphine? If so, how long does this usually last? I had been on opiates for about 3 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Coming Off Pain Killers

You might receive more answers on the pain management board or addiction board. Good luck and I hope you find the answers you need.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
    Suzy-Q
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hello,
    Can you say a bit more exactly what your pain is? I was on narcotics for much of 3 years and through 2 fusion surgeries. I had a very rough time of it with back/joint/muscle pain and nerve pain after the second surgery. The pain killers really saved my life and yet I didn't have any trouble coming off of them WHEN my pain levels decreased. Along the way, I was given Cymbalta and Ultram and those meds were quite awful to stop taking. Neither really did much for my pain and I only took them for 6- 8 weeks. But tapering off of them was a nightmare- not painful but very sickening (shakes, sweats, nausea, headaches).
    If you are in pain without the morphine, I'd say you need a pain killer! If you're in withdrawals, I'd say you need to do a slower taper and let your doc know so they can maybe help you with some supportive meds. There's nothing mysterious about physical dependence to medications - it happens after even short periods of time. But it matters why you've stopped the med (ought to stop taking pain meds cuz you're not in pain anymore) and it matters how (slowly and with support).
    And if your in pain maybe it matters to see what kind of pain (muscle vs nerve). I found neurontin to be the best for my nerve pain. It isn't a narcotic so I was able to stay on it for longer and stopped taking it only recently (so I took it for about 9 months post-op) and because I don't need it anymore. Best of luck - Suzy-Q

Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Apart,
    Hey bud the pain is intense for the first couple day's, then it get's a little better..I been on them for over a year.. I was taking 15MG Oxycodone and 15MG MsContin all at once , I stopped my oxycodone once before and was only on the Ms but I had a horrible flair up and had to go to the ER for 4 injection's and oxycodone's..Then when I finally realized if no one can just let me do what work's like taking 1 pill every 6 hours of the oxycodone I don't want them, only for break out pain.. I have a few tab's left but been opiate free for 4 -5 day's now and my wife said your back to your old self not out in space ? But my pain is sometimes unbarable to..I'm going for a trial spinalcord stimulator soon. So I won't need any pill's at all.

Shawley

P.S. the Addiction board would help you out alot better.

Closed Thread