It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• healing time for an open discectomy ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
    saversano
    (male)

saversano HB User
    healing time for an open discectomy ?

Hey guys , Thank you all for all of your support ! You have been instrumental with my decision to go ahead with the surgery ....
    Does anyone think 2 weeks is a reasonable time to go back to a very light job after an open discectomy (school technology director) part time ?
    Also , is there anyone else like me that not a single medication has had any effect on leg pain ??? I mean I can't really take a narcotic because I have to go to work every day .. But I have run the gambit with the meds. They don't really touch nerve pain but they do make my jeans TIGHT !!!! haha...
    OK all ...... I hope ALL of you guys know theres someone somewhere who can help you !! KEEP LOOKING !!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User
    Re: healing time for an open discectomy ?

I'm not exactly sure what an "open discectomy" is, but I had a minimally invasive discectomy and fusion at the thoracic level. Sorry to say that I was nowhere near able to go back to work in 2 weeks. It's about week 10 for me and my energy is back, pain is less. Because I'm moving, I'll start work about week 14-16. Otherwise, I would have gone back at week 12.

Best of luck and I hope your surgery goes smoothly!
    - Margaret

Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
    syrinx2112
    (female)

syrinx2112 HB User

Hi,

I had a micro-d and I was out of work for 3 weeks. I taught high school math and being on my feet all day didn't help after the 3 weeks. I wouldn't even think of going back at 2 weeks. What has your surgeon said about time off? Don't push the recovery time. That is my opinion.

Angie

Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
    saversano
    (male)

saversano HB User

hey Marge , an open discectomy is when the Surgeon cuts the back instead of looking through a microscope like a microscopic discectomy.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
    saversano
    (male)

saversano HB User

Angie , WOW ... He told me 2 weeks would be fine to go back to work. And thats not even for the Micro , its for the open discectomy.
    I do work at a desk in my school though..NO classes to teach, just deal with the technology.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
    bailey17
    (female)

bailey17 HB User

I had a micro D in June and I think it depends on the person. Since it seems like you can move about your office freely (I am a teacher so I don't have that luxury ) You may be able to swing it. But my biggest suggestion is to listen to your body. If you aren't ready don't push it!!!!! You will wind up doing more harm than good. If you feel up to it you can go back to work if you don't take it easy and wait till you feel you are ready. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User

OK, S - I'm assuming you're not having a fusion with your open discectomy. I suspect because there's less messing around with the structures in your back, it will be a faster recovery, but I seriously wouldn't bet too much on it. I'd tell your work it could be longer. The rugrats will just have to wait!

Old 04-20-2007, 01:34 AM   #8
    jinks67
    (female)

jinks67 HB User

Hi there,

in my humble opinion 2 weeks is a little soon...

I'm two weeks and 2 days post laminectomy. I know this is a little different, but I don't know how much so, so I'm trying to answer from a back point of view...(I still have pretty bad nerve pain in my leg as my nerve was so compressed).

Anyhow, I still find it difficult to sit for more than 5-15minutes at a time (depends on the chair),as the back is very tight around the incision, and walking and standing for long is a no-no for me because of the leg pain. If I've done too much of a day my back aches all the way up, which is totally tolerable compared to the nerve pain, btu I wouldn't want to have to deal with it outside the comforts of my home.

Given the rate of improvement i n back pain, I would guess that in another 2 weeks I'd be ready to go back to work, barring the leg pain...

Hope that helps
    J

Old 04-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #9
    saversano
    (male)

saversano HB User

Thank you J ,
    I will probably have the bone removed as well.... (same as you) .. Well that surgeon was way too optomistic .... But dont you have to walk around every day to prevent scar tissue from forming ????

Old 04-20-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
    saversano
    (male)

saversano HB User

Bailey ??? WHere do you teach ..??? Im in NYC

Old 04-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
    bailey17
    (female)

bailey17 HB User

I live and teach in good old Jersey! And don't make fun I love the Garden state! It has a lot to offer besides the ugly view from Newark airport And I teach in "da Hood" so it always keeps life interesting! I'm sure we could swap more than just back stories LOL
    Have a super weekend

Old 04-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
    OnHold
    (female)

OnHold HB User

Saversano, I discovered a little trick a couple weeks ago. Like you, I found that only narcotics could touch the pain. I had an acute attack at a time when I could not cancel everything and go to bed. So I tried taking 1/4 of a pill and found it was enough to take the "edge" off my pain while not making me loopy. I wish I'd thought of doing this months ago. It has really transformed my life. Yes, I will definitely have surgery, but it's buying me a little time until I'm ready.

Hope it helps you for now. Please post after your discectomy so we can hear how your recovery process goes.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:12 PM   #13
    saversano
    (male)

saversano HB User

cool , thank you..I have never been perscribed a narc before. But I would like to try your method. What meds are you taking ? I will ask my doc for them.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
    OnHold
    (female)

OnHold HB User

Lortab is what I cut in 1/4. I found if I took 1/2 or 1 pill, it made me dizzy. I wait to take it until I get to work, so I'm not driving on it, and I'm fine to drive home by the end of work.

I can handle Flexeril better even during the day (muscle relaxant - helps with spasms but not with pain otherwise) though I was cutting those in half when they were making me too sleepy.

Closed Thread