It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Sciatic Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
    PaulSpeese
    (male)

PaulSpeese HB User
    Sciatic Pain

I have had 3 epidural cortisone injections over the last 8 weeks and am still experiencing significant pain. Does anyone have an opinion that I should hang in there or pursue surgical options. The pain has been really bad for 3-4 months.

Paul Speese

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
    syrinx2112
    (female)

syrinx2112 HB User
    Re: Sciatic Pain

Paul,

I know how frustrating being in pain for a long time can be on a person. Are you seeing a spine doctor? an ortho or a neuro? I think we need a little more info in order to give you our honest opinions. Have you had an MRI or any other tests done? I hope you are feeling better today.

Angie

Old 05-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Paul, that is probably all the shots they will give you for awhilw anyway. They have a limit on how many they will give you in a time period.

If you tell us some of your symtoms, and what you have been trying besides the injections, perhaps we can offer a little more advice. Your note was a tad cryptic. [/COLOR]

Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
    PaulSpeese
    (male)

PaulSpeese HB User

Thanks for the quick replies, so here is more info.

Based upon the MRI results, apparently there several bulging discs and other bad stuff in the L4,L5 and S1 area. My symptoms are pain shooting down my leg terminating in the ankle area. The pain is very slight when I am sitting or laying down, but severe when standing or walking. Given that I love to play golf and exercise, this is somewhere between depressing and life ending. Given that I need to be able to walk and stand in my job it makes life very difficult. The pain seems to be increasing, particularly when I am active, the next day the pain is more intense and quick. For example, yesterday I had to be on my feet off and on for a couple of hours. Today, the pain starts as soon as I stand up versus after a minute or two previously. Is that enough info for you? One more question I have is pain medication. I was taking Vicodin for a couple of weeks and stopped taking about 4 weeks ago since they made me feel sluggish and tired all of the time. Any suggestions on pain meds or other techniques that would relieve pain but not have the side effects of Vicodin?

Paul Speese

[QUOTE=ibake&pray;2960905][COLOR="Navy"]Paul, that is probably all the shots they will give you for awhilw anyway. They have a limit on how many they will give you in a time period.

If you tell us some of your symtoms, and what you have been trying besides the injections, perhaps we can offer a little more advice. Your note was a tad cryptic. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Old 05-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]Paul,

Much better! First off, have you seen a good back dr? Or are you just using your gp? What did he say? Did he suggest something besides the shots? Personally the shots never helped much. I hve since learned that the shots eventually "harden" up the walls of the nerves so the actually can end up doing damage. Did the Dr. say anything about therapy? Land or water? Did he offer any type of drugs for inflamation or for nerve pain? What was his prognosis?

Golf, I hate to tell you, ain't gonna make you feel good, but I guess that you have already figured that one out. Usually you pay for it the next day. If standing is also bad, you might try a cycle of up and down during the day to relieve the pain. And Paul, although this isn't great, at least you are around to complain about it....you can get through this....it will just take some work to figure out how to make your back better so you can do so physical things again... I have been told that roller coasters and bowling are no longer participation sports for me..now that sucks as I used to bowl league.

Most of the pain meds do tend to give you certain side effects. Everything from dry mouth to constipation to fuzzyness and sleepiness to you name it. What you want is a combo that will give you the most pain relief with the fewest side effects.

What I would do is make sure you are seeing a back dr first. Then ask what he has planned. Therapy, stim unit, accupuncture, whatever. Then tell him about the side effects of the meds and ask for something that will give you relief without the side effects. There are also meds out there for nerve pain that will help for the siatica more than the Vicodin which is actually quite a mild drug, all things considered. It is best not to go in telling your doctor what drug you want. They tend to get a touch cranky about that...

Good luck, hang in there. You will get alot of good responses here. We are a chatty group of back suffers... I personally had a three level fusion 2 years back....[/COLOR]

Old 05-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
    PaulSpeese
    (male)

PaulSpeese HB User

Thank you, that is helpful, particularly on the medication side. Yes, I am seeing an orthopedic guy, he had originally prescribed Naproxen and then Celebrex as an anti inflammatory, neither of which produced any positive effects. Our discussion have been limited thus far to trying the injections and if they don't work out we would follow up with a review of surgical options.

Paul Speese

Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
    bass11
    (male)

bass11 HB User

hey Paul I totally understand what you are going through. been dealing with my sciatica pain for 6 plus weeks and had one shot. I tried today to stay off the pain meds and see what kind of pain I am really dealling with , wich was not good.. anyway I love fishing and not able to do the things you love is depressing I know....I have decided the next time I go to see a doc I will schedule surgery, unless things get better... this is definetly the place for questions and support, everyone is very helpfull and understanding with our problems stick in there and you WILL get better one way or another be positive and wish you the best of luck

Old 05-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[COLOR="Navy"]Paul,
    Both of those are very mild drugs in the lexicon of drug usage. I would thing that your doc could do far better in helping you control your pain than than. I would ask for a stronger anti inflammatory. There are some out there that work alot better than either one of those two.

I would also think that your doc. might suggest therapy and other modalities of treatment before he does surgery. Surgery is always a last ditch effort in my books. Any time someone talks about opening my body up it tends to make me a tad anxious. Unless of course they could guarantee that I could come out looking like - oh - I don't know, J Lo, or one of those gorgeous ladies.... LOL..[/COLOR]

Old 05-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Paul, I would make sure that your ortho has had a fellowship in spinal surgery. It is very important that if surgery does come up that you have the best. Generally a spinal surgeon or neurologist is who you want to see.

Have you tried physical therapy or a muscle relaxer (flexeril, robaxin, or valium are a couple examples) or nerve medication (lyrica, neurotin, elevil, cymbalta, etc)? Forgive me if I overlooked that in you response. I am a little medicated at the moment.

Do you have your mri report by chance? You might type in the summary so that we can have a better understanding in what exactly is wrong. Do you have stenosis, narrowing, degenerative discs, compression, herninations, etc?

Sciatica pain is very painful and unfortunately sometimes it takes along time before things will settle down. I have had it for 3 1/2 years.

Good luck and I pray that you find some relief soon.

Last edited by ms_west; 05-03-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
    lstan18
    (female)

lstan18 HB User

Wow, I could have written your post! Here is what I went through. 5 months of sciatic pain--quite severe for the last 3 months. Ruptured disc L-5. Had 2 epidural shots--no relief, chiropractic--no relief. I am a big chicken, but was unable to live with the constant pain and had laminotomy/microdiscectomy 3 weeks ago. AMAZING is how I would describe the pain relief! I still have numbness and very occasional pain---but a world better than before. I feel as though I have my life back. I just came back from a 2.5 mile walk! Before I couldn't walk 2.5 feet! My advice is to be open to the idea of surgery, it certainly worked for me. Good luck

Old 05-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

[QUOTE=lstan18;2961574]Wow, I could have written your post! Here is what I went through. 5 months of sciatic pain--quite severe for the last 3 months. Ruptured disc L-5. Had 2 epidural shots--no relief, chiropractic--no relief. I am a big chicken, but was unable to live with the constant pain and had laminotomy/microdiscectomy 3 weeks ago. AMAZING is how I would describe the pain relief! I still have numbness and very occasional pain---but a world better than before. I feel as though I have my life back. I just came back from a 2.5 mile walk! Before I couldn't walk 2.5 feet! My advice is to be open to the idea of surgery, it certainly worked for me. Good luck[/QUOTE]
    Wow is all I can say! I wish I was just offered a laminectomy. I have the buldges,ddd, mild rethro and they metioned adr and fusion if I ever was to get surgery for what. Any way sorry to hijack this post not my intentions.

I have had sever left leg sciatic pain for 5 months had 2 esi, 1 trigger point and countless nerve meds with the xtra pounds to show. The pain is un bearable but they dont really know the cause of mine so I need to find out monday. I dont know If I would suggest surgery yet, unless you really did all conservtive tx. But, I hope you find the answers you need and you will know when you need to make that decision good luck. And take care
    Rachel

Old 05-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
    saversano
    (male)

saversano HB User

Yeah , We have alot in common ..
    10 months sciatic pain down the leg. Here is what i have done so far

[U]First attempt[/U] - Chiropractor (June July) NO HELP
    [U]Second Attempt[/U] - Physical Therapy (August) NO HELP
    [U]Third Attempt[/U] - Accupuncture (September) NO HELP
    [U]Fourth Attempt[/U] - Epidural Shot & Physical Therapy (November ) 4 Weeks of 50% better. Pain returned in February
    [U]Fifth Attempt[/U] - Second Epidural - Made it worse (February 20)

Drugs taken - Celebrex, Ultram, Nuproxin, Nurotonin , Lyrica, Relefin, Flexeril. None help except for a Nuproxin (Slightly)

I hope you don't have to go through this. Sometimes it just gets better on its own but not for me. Taking a shower is AGONY,Going to work hurts. Sitting down to eat dinner hurts , walking to my car HURTS REAL BAD. Waiting in line for Dunkin Donuts is Allmost not worth it ...
    My point . I know back surgery is a risk..But there comes a time to make the decision.

Last edited by saversano; 05-03-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

And if you can't stand in line for dunkin donuts......that's a problem. LOL

Old 05-04-2007, 05:58 AM   #14
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[COLOR="Navy"]Nah, skip the dunkin donuts...go for the krispie kremes....mmmmmmmmmmm[/COLOR]

Old 05-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
    Paul from CA
    Inactive
    (male)

Paul from CA HB User

Hello from another Paul with similar symptoms(see signature).

I had the burning shooting tingling pains down my right leg for awhile.
    I did that vax-d table decompression for 2 weeks.
    It resolved 95% of the sciatica pain for me, although I still have another pain in the L4-L5-S1 region.

I fell in love with golf, but have since accepted the fact that I will never play again. The swing is really bad for low back injuries.
    Not saying you'll never play again, but be extremely careful. No more grip it and rip it.

No amount of injections, pain killers, physical therapy, accupuncture, praying, wishful thinking etc etc is going to get my herniation off the nerve. So,
    either I live the rest of my life sitting or laying down, or see if somekind of a surgical technique can get that herniation away from the nerve.

Let us know what your MRI report says and when your consult is.

Closed Thread