It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Psychologist for Chronic Pain???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
    Nikirae
    (female)

Nikirae HB User
    Question Psychologist for Chronic Pain???

Hi all !

Question. I was told today by workers comp that they are sending me to a psycholgist because I am not getting better??!!! And there has to be something more then just physcially wrong with me.

Okay, it has only been 6 months since my 2 lvl fusion and it is not my fault I am not better yet. It is not my fault I have nerve damage due to the surgery. It is like they think it is all in my head or something, when the tests say otherwise. And you would think they would have enough sense to know it take long time to recover from something like this, we all heal differently. Since this is workers comp, I don't have an option in this, so I have to go.

Has anyone else ever had to deal with seeing a Psychologist for cronic pain? or is this just another way for workers comp to get on my nerves. hehe

Hope everyone has a good nite!

~hugs Niki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
    Re: Psychologist for Cronic Pain???

I wasn't close to well 6 mos after surgery. Perhaps the psychologist can help you deal with the pain and frustration better. You might as well take advantage of the visit. It is perfectly normal at this stage of your recovery to have pain. It can take 2 years for nerves to regenerate and lets face it after surgery our backs are never the same. I can understand how you feel frustrated with the hassle they are giving you. So try to make the best of it and try to get some benefit from the visit.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Because you are dealing with workmans comp I would get a statement from your Dr on the surgery and nerve damage and take it with you. This shows that yes you do indeed have a problem.

Just my 2 cents worth

Old 05-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

It is really normal to have a hard time dealing with the pain and the life changes that come with back problems. Take a statement from your doctor, loose any outrage over being sent there, and any defensiveness because those are going to work against you when you are dealing with both the Chronic Pain Psychologist and WC. Be honest, if you are having trouble sleeping, if you are having a lot of pain, difficulty adjusting, etc. He is there to help you learn to deal with the pain in a better way, not hurt you.
    Sandi

Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
    sherry1
    Inactive
    (female)

sherry1 HB User

Hi

I think Sandi said it all.

Dont go on the defensive and tell them everything. I think the word'psychologist' cungers up some old fashioned ideas like you are going mad!

My brother went to a psychologist when he was in chronic pain and they helped him sort through alot of related problems.

Good luck an let us know how you get on.

Best wishes.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:41 AM   #6
    Tucsonlady40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Niki,

W/C wants out as fast as they can. Nothing personal just money..lol What a joke I know. However, what Clover suggested, is absolutely what you should do. Get a statement from your dr. first.

Also, just my 2 cents but, depression does go unfortunately hand in hand with back problems and sometimes it's so overwhelming that your back stresses more. Just tell the w/c dr. that yeah of course I'm depressed!! I can't do much of anything without this horiffic pain, and I don't have my life back yet. Tell him how bad it gets just trying to turn, lean, and how when you go to bed at night, that it's unbearable. But, that this depression is not why your not working!!!!!!!

Take care and I sure hope that you get a good dr., and it all works in your favor.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

I had went to pscyologist for years and they gave meds and only talked to you for about five minutes except for the first visit....so I never got it.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:19 AM   #8
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I had to go to one once when I had abdominal pain (endometroisis) and they could not diagnose it. They gave me anti-depressents (which I deposited into the trashcan- I was in my early 20's), asked how I was doing, and then they walked out after 5 minutes. It was a joke but I was following what my doctors wanted and the psychologist made his $75 dollars an hour.

The pyschologist was very nice -- just be honest and bring those papers to show him that you do have a medical problem and want with all your heart to get better to live a normal life. Heck if he has a magic pill, I would be willing to take it!! Anything to get out of the pain.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #9
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="3"]My daughter is going to school to be a psycholigist ,she has 2 more years of college and she is a Dr. To bad she is getting married because she would have been the first Shawley to be a Dr. Maybe i should ask her future hubby to take her last name ?

Pepper what MG's are you taking for pain ?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Old 05-11-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley I take 5mg. One or two pills a day unless it is a bad day then I take 1 every 4 hours, if it is the worst of worst pain I take 2 every 6 hours. The bottle says 2 every 4 hours.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:09 AM   #11
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

[COLOR="Indigo"]Pepper that's really great I thought you were on stronger stuff. Go easy and it will all come to you.
    Shawley[/COLOR]

Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Niki! ((((hugs))))

You've gotten some great advice here! One other thought: recently, someone else posted that he was being sent to a physiatrist and wondered why they thought his pain was in his head. A physiatrist does pain management through meds, PT, etc. Those two sound and look so much alike, physiatrist and psychiatrist. Did they mean physiatrist?

Either way, you'd probably get some help. Just thought I'd throw that out there, since others have had that confusion.

Hang in there, sweetie!
    Emily

Old 05-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
    Nikirae
    (female)

Nikirae HB User

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your advice, I will use it!! I will keep my cool when I am there. lol

Just did not make sense to me, workers comp also just approved another,yes another pain mgt clinic for me and see them on Monday. So now I have my surgeon, PT, 2 pain clinics and soon a shrink. That is a lot of gas at 3.50 a gallon and of course they are all with in the 20 mile round trip, so workers comp won't even pay for milage.

Workers comp prob is trying to get rid of me, they have been dealing with me since Sept 2001, that is a very long time to be on workers comp.

Thanks again everyone!!

~hugs Niki

Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
    Jack24
    Inactive
    (male)

Jack24 HB User

I have been seeing a psychologist who specializes in chronic pain and I am not a workers comp case. I pay for it out of my pocket. Having to deal with chronic pain is a life altering event. These people will help you deal with it. They are also good listeners, and those of us with chronic pain need that, without unloading on our families.

In my state, psychologists can't prescribe meds. They are PhDs, not MDs. A psychiatrist is a MD that specializes in behavioral and mental illness and can Rx meds. A physiatrist is an MD that tries to diagnosis and treat musculo-skeletal disorders. They generally use meds other than narcotics and a lot of physical theraphy and injections.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
    syrinx2112
    (female)

syrinx2112 HB User

Hi,

I just started going to see a psychologist for dealing with chronic pain. It is a very emotionally taxing thing to be in pain for a long time (in my case a year now). I have felt very depressed about my life and how the last year has really been depressing. I have been a few times now. And, I think that it was a good move on my part to ask my physiatrist for recommendations of councelors who deal with chronic pain isssues. I must admit, when my husband suggested that maybe I should talk to someone, I got pretty ticked off about it. But, like some else has said, it is a good outlet to dump stuff out on someone who is not your family or friends. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Please keep us updated. Good luck and keep an open mind.

Angie

Closed Thread