It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Scoliosis, discopathy l5 s1, sth else. Can I do sports?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
    nighteclipse
    (male)

nighteclipse HB User
    Scoliosis, discopathy l5 s1, sth else. Can I do sports?

Hey, two things. And one question.

1) I'm 20 years old and I just received the X-ray results of my lower part of the body, that I did following strong pains in the pubic area that I had for a few days around March and April 2007.
    On the paper accompanying it it was written...
    (I'm actually translating into English from another language, but I think it's correct)

- left scoliosis, with reduction of lordosis physiology
    - somatic alignment maintained
    - discopathy l5 s1

[Due to the healthcare system where I live] I'll have to wait a few more weeks until I take the X-ray results to my family doctor and he tells me what I have to do about this problem...

2) Three days ago, while I was doing my fitness exercises (jogging, stretching, light aerobic choreographies, push-ups, basic yoga), something else happened to me. I don't know whether this one is related to the previous one:

I was lying on my back on the floor and lifted my legs into a [i]sarvangasana[/i] -like position.
    ( i tried to link an image from a search machine but it was censured by the forum )

I have done that many times before, but this time, after I got up, I still felt the pressure on the part of the spine which connects the neck to the shoulders (which touches the floor when I'm in that position)
    I still feel it after 3 days and have a slight pain when I try to bend my neck forward.

With all these conditions, can I ever do some real sports?
    (I was actually planning to start martial arts before I got the X ray results)

Last edited by nighteclipse; 06-05-2007 at 11:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
    Re: Scoliosis, discopathy l5 s1, sth else. Can I do sports?

I think that until you get a diagnosis, that's a question that can't be answered. I would like to say yes, you'll be able to participate in various sports, and I hope that's the case, but it sounds like something is going on that needs attention. You're young and it sounds like you're in good shape, so that's certainly on your side. But I would be careful about not overdoing it until you can see your doctor and figure out what's going on.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but without a diagnosis, it's just too hard to predict.

Let us know what you find out.

I wish you the best,
    Emily

Old 06-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
    nighteclipse
    (male)

nighteclipse HB User

BlueAtlas, thanks a lot for your advice.

I still didn't hear what my doctor has to say, and, due to reasons of where I live (and our healthcare system), I probably won't be able to know anything until at least two weeks have passed.

The pain I described in point 2) (joint of neck and spine, and below) has gone away, but I get strong sensations of "pulling".
    It's as if all the muscles around that area are stiff and contracting.
    It's not really paining but really irritating.
    I can't keep my neck in a way for too long and it starts "pulling".
    I can't even lie down on my back without getting that feeling... it's as if my neck is shrinking into the shoulders...

Is this something bad? I tried to search a bit but didn't find anything related to the "pulling" feeling.

And it's really making me nervous.

I'd really appreciate any advice or at least a temporary remedy or precautions until I get to the doctor.
    I don't know where else to ask and honestly I'm feeling really really bad with all this.

thanks

Last edited by nighteclipse; 06-08-2007 at 02:53 PM.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I'm glad the worst of the pain has subsided. That's reassuring! It may be some lingering muscle strain or irritation at this point. I would recommend using ice or heat or both on the area a few times a day for 10-20 minutes and also an over the counter anti-inflamatory, like Ibuprofen or Naproxen. That may give you some relief, and it's also likely that your doctor would have you try that anyway. You may be a step ahead in the process if you can tell him you've already been doing that when you get to see him.

Take care, and don't overdo it before you find out what's up.
    Emily

Old 06-12-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
    nighteclipse
    (male)

nighteclipse HB User

Thanks once again for reassuring me.

I managed to advance the appointment with the doctor to this thursday.

I used some anti-inflammatory called Nimesulide which the local pharmacy gave and it worked a bit, although a sense of "burning" and itch remains under the skin. I researched a bit on the forum and internet and I [i]think[/i] from the symptoms written in the description that it might be dysesthesia.

I woke up early this morning with a strong muscle cramp on my left leg and a strange pain under the skin of the backside of my head (similar to the "burning" but mild, spicy, like when soap enters the eyes).
    Could this be correlated to the whole issue?
    I'm worried that this is escalating to something really bad.

It could also be a side-effect because I quit all physical activity for more than a week since the neck-pain started;
    before that I was actually doing a weightloss program with intensive daily running, exercises, stretching, push-ups, etc.
    Should I at least resume some basic movements?

Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
    nighteclipse
    (male)

nighteclipse HB User

Hey, I just came back from the local doctor.

I don't know whether he was just saying it to reassure me, but told me that he doesn't agree with the X-ray diagnosis ( l5 s1 discopathy ) and said that the scoliosis is very mild.

But he did say that I lost the curvature of the spine (lordosis) and it may be due to my posture, especially when I play piano (I self-learn piano and discovered that professional pianists actually have to do a posture medical test every now and then).

When I spoke about point 2 (neck, cervical part) and asked whether I should take at least a MRI, he said "Ah, don't even take any anti-inflammatory! You're just 20 years old, what the h**l can happen to you?!"

And he suggested me to start swimming.

Hmmm... do you think I should trust his attitude?

Last edited by nighteclipse; 06-14-2007 at 07:09 AM.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, I'd be a little disturbed about his comment that you shouldn't take anti-inflammatories just because you're only 20 years old! What does age have to do with it?

You've gotten two very different opinions. I don't know what your healthcare possiblities are where you live, but if you're able to get an unbiased third opinion, you might get a better idea of what's going on.

You could certainly try swimming. You do want to be careful not to overdo it, but you also don't want to become completely inactive. As you try different exercises/sports/activities that you've done in the past, pay close attention to your body. If you have pain, don't do that activity, at least for now.

I hope you can get some consistent answers! You must be frustrated!

I wish you the best,
    Emily

Old 06-16-2007, 01:43 AM   #8
    nighteclipse
    (male)

nighteclipse HB User

Indeed, I was a bit confused. He actually also showed me my X-ray and showed why there is nothing wrong with l5-s1 (something about distance maintained, no anomalies, etc.).

I think he actually wanted to say that I shouldn't worry too much of all those pains, because I'm "only" 20 years old.
    But what should I do when I get physical symptoms that I had never had before?

I followed the doctor's advice to always maintain a straight posture with the spine (shoulders straight, tummy in, breast out) and the pain slowly seems to fade away.

Today I tried doing again some of my exercises. It all went well, apart from that tiny ice-acid like feeling on the backside of my head that I described earlier.
    I don't know whether it is related to the issue, nor whether it's anything I should worry about.

I'll make sure to find a third party opinion.
    Or if the pain should get worse I might have a chance to be admitted to the emergency department, which is usually more speedy and efficient...

Thank You again, BlueAtlas, for your time and advice.

Last edited by nighteclipse; 06-16-2007 at 01:44 AM.

Closed Thread