It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Has anyone been denied discogram because of weight

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User
    Angry Has anyone been denied discogram because of weight

Well here is my story itis quite lenty but i will try to make it as short as possible.
    First of all I am so angry I cant type well so i may have some mistyped words sorry.

I went today to have my discogram done at the hospital, I waited 2 hours to be called in because the md had a emergency case, I can understand that and I had forgot my labs that needed to be drawn a week ago so had to rush to lab and get them done, mind you i can hardly walk.
    So let me get to the meat of the story, they got me wheeled back to the ct room, everything started nicely, nice nurse, assistants,etc and md too, she started IV, md got my consent and the placed me on my stomach on the ct table to do some ct, after a while still being nice the doc came out of the ct room and said sorry hon, you are too big for the needles at this time, therefore we cannot perform the procedure until you lose the desired weight your md wants you to order. Now mt surgeon told me 60lbs and his note says 100 lbs i do not know what to do, i am in so much pain. But I quess like the doc told me it would not have mattered what the disco said because there is no way they can operate on me now.
    I am sad and hurt because my surgeon should have waited till august a month before surgery to schedule this and save me all the fear and embarassment.
    I am living in agony, I am trying so hard to lose weight but nothing is happening. I started medifast yesterday and I pray it works.
    Has this happened to anyone else, the other facility on monday did not have a problem doing my ct myelogram so I am just mad and sad at the same time. I am sorry guys. I just wish I did not have to be at this awful plae in my life right now.

Oh and lets not forget my parents not really understanding my pain, i guess i will have to grin and bear it around them to, only if they knew! I took my duragesic patch off on purpose today, I have to beat this guys ihave too, it is taken control over my life.

Sorry for the long thread I just could not wait to get home and vent to you guys You all are the only ones who really understand me. Thanks for allowing me to vent again.
    Rachel(the fat girl who gained most of her weight not eating but by meds)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
    zeroman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

zeroman HB User
    Re: Has anyone been denied discogram because of weight

wow, Im sorry to hear that.

Ive heard of being to big for surgery but never for a discogram.

best of luck losing the weight, I think theres a forum here for that, Im sure they will have some tips.

I found that since I killed my back I gained 45 lbs.. not from eating but from inactivity. which of course makes it so much harder to loose it.

going of that patch may be hard, what dosage is it?

Last edited by zeroman; 06-21-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

Yeah zeroman thats me about 45lbs and not from eating, it sucks!

Old 06-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

kk - please know that you are not alone. I am sure if you questioned many of us back suffers you will find that many of us have gained weight. I can't blame all of my weight gain on my back but it certainly has contributed to it.

I am so sorry this happened to you today and I would be so mad like you. I would be furious with the doctor as well.

Hugs and know that I am praying.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

[QUOTE=123dietdrpepper;3058841]kk - please know that you are not alone. I am sure if you questioned many of us back suffers you will find that many of us have gained weight. I can't blame all of my weight gain on my back but it certainly has contributed to it.

I am so sorry this happened to you today and I would be so mad like you. I would be furious with the doctor as well.

Hugs and know that I am praying.[/QUOTE]
    Thank you pepper for always being here for me. I realized tonightnthis is just a wake upcall to me thats all, i got to get it together pain or no pain

Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Gosh.. that has to be so extremely frustrating for you and oh so disappointing. My heart goes out to you. You have to get yourself remotivated again. What was motivating you before that you lost the weight? What was driving all that motiviation?? Whatever "that" was.. you have to reclaim that feeling and discipline once again to kick start you again.

I think anyone that has a weight problem regardless of how much or not can relate to you in someway, including me. (Not to downplay what happened to you gal at all, just trying to let you know we feel your pain here.. you are not alone in this.)

I have been up and down with my weight since age 18 when I first injured my back. I used to be one of those active gymnastic gals that had no fat on her and solid muscle and flit here and there. I was never taught how to eat properly as it was a chore to even get me to eat in those days. When I hurt my back then I had no insurance and was layed up on the couch for 4 months solid, barely able to even move. I continued to eat as usual. Well that was the beginning of my yoyo weight cycle and a contributor to more back pain. I am 5'2" and was 92lbs at 18. I went 100lbs past that once, both from back issues and lack of exercise due to that, but also low self-esteem.

It took a doctor to tell me I had to change my life and get the weight off my body or I was going to be in agony forever. I joined a gym with pool and started walking in the pool and light swimming. Then water exercising on my own. Then I started on the treadmill. All of this was beginning to help make my back feel better but also was giving me some energy and motivation to want more. There's more.. but overall I got so motiviated I worked out, felt better than I ever had (spine included) and got very fit and trim in the process. Then I had no more back pain as I guess that disc had finally healed. It is still bulging today, but causes me no pain.

I went and down with my weight since that time, but was only 102# when I blew out the l4/l5 disc moving furniture out of my 3rd floor apartment on my own. Dumb me!! Since that time with the disc being blown, I have gained upwards of 40+ lbs that I have get back off now. So I am back to battling it once again. The older you get the harder it is too it seems.

Through every dark corner.. there truly is a very bright light on the other end. It's going to be a serious fight for yourself, but can you imagine the euphoria you are going to feel as you accomplish regaining the control you had, and then getting the weight loss going again, and seeing progress and on and on!!! Once you have a few days to ingest it all.. things will look more clear to you and you can get back on track with things again.

Hope is not lost and we certainly are not giving up on you for a second!!

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I am so sorry that you are in such a bad place. Back pain can be so debilitating. Perhaps you doctor would consider putting you on Topamax which is used for the treatment of nerve pain. One of the side effects of Topamax is weight loss. Topamax is not a narcotic but a seizure medication. I am presently on Topamax and it is helping me to lose weight that I have gained from being on Lyrica. Ask your doctor about it and he may consider prescribing it for you. No harm in asking and if you are experiencing any leg pain it could help alleviate that as well.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
    TheosApoMekhane
    (female)

TheosApoMekhane HB User
    Question Re: Has anyone been denied discogram because of weight

Hello, everyone. I am completely new here, and in a lot of pain and frustration, like so many.

Eh, I've had a herniated disk since I was 19. I am now 23. I've gone through better and worse times with it pain wise, had swelling in my knees, temporary numbness and tingling, etc. My first pregnancy made it hurt, but I could still kind of function, and there was no permanent damage that I'm aware of to any other part of my body. However, now that I recently had my second child, I noticed right after having her that I had a quarter sized numb spot on my leg that wouldn't go away. I'd had a c-section, so the first thing I guessed is that I'd left an ice pack there for too long, lol. But then it stayed no matter what. Over the last 2 months, this area on my upper outter right thigh has gone from the size of a quarter to the size of my hand. My OBGYN seemed perplexed till I told him I had the disk issue. I have to wait another month 1/2 to see a nuerologist, and I am about 100 lbs overweight ,some due to (failed) birth control and some due to personal habits quired in the last year 1/2. So I know, I'm at least somewhat to blame, if not entirely so, but it would surprise me as I've lived my whole life being in good shape and I didn't alter my life style dramatically.
    Having said that, I went out for a brisk walk the other morning after this diagnosis, and only 20 minutes in, the pain was too excrutiating to keep going. the rest of the day was spent trying to recover and do what basic functions I could whilst caring for my kids. I have changed my diet and portion sizes and have found I cannot lose all the weight I need to, especially in the time I need to, without excersize. Any suggestions?

Old 06-22-2007, 03:02 AM   #9
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Rachel
    I am so sorry for what you went thru that probably would have been my last straw. I also had a weight problem. I lost 70 lbs but most of it was after going off the elvil. That really packed the weight on me. I was 200lbs and now am down to 135 and feel really well. I really watch how much I eat as I love to eat.

Please know that you are not alone and I totaly understand your frustration. Can you talk with your family Dr and maybe come up with a plan? Good luck I will be thinking of you.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:55 AM   #10
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

KK, so sorry you went thru all this. I just don't understand one thing: when your Doctor scheduled your procedure, didn't he know that weight could be a problem? Why did you have to go through this and than cancell on you?
    I feel for you, really!
    Most of us gained weight after back surgeries and problems. I used to be gym fanatic and now i am lucky if i get a day when i can walk for 20-30 min very slowly with the cane. This is not enough to loose 15 pd i gained since my surgery 15 month ago!! I had 6month of PT where i walked for an hour in a pool 3 times a week and no weight loss. And it's so hard to loose when you in constant pain.
    Also, PK, muscle relaxers, antidepressants, steroid shots and orals - all this affects our weight... So i want you to know - you are not alone, we all in the same boat.
    You try your best, take your PK to be able to walk, and maybe it will help you. I pray for you... big hugs... Come here and talk, we are here to listen and help as best as we can - who will understand you better than people who go thru same thing you do...

Old 06-22-2007, 04:49 AM   #11
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

kk - I thought about you during the night and want you to know don't give up. You have to be strong and fight this harder than anything you have fought in your life. You need to do it yourself. I care sweetie as well as several other people on this board.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User

Hey Sweetie -

Gosh honey what a horrible ordeal to go through! I know going into fusion I was 200pds, been heavy for some years due to back pain. After fusion gained 22 pounds. I started eating diffrent ( doc plan ) and being able to walk ( after surgery ) I now have lost 46 pds. I know how hard it is to lose anything on meds and being in so much pain! But there is hope!! I have alot more togo but I am going slow and doing the best I can. I am so sorry you are in pain and feeling so down. Just wanted you to know that I am here for you if you need me. Big Hugs ((( ))).

Rose

Old 06-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

[QUOTE=zeroman;3058745]wow, Im sorry to hear that.

Ive heard of being to big for surgery but never for a discogram.

best of luck losing the weight, I think theres a forum here for that, Im sure they will have some tips.

I found that since I killed my back I gained 45 lbs.. not from eating but from inactivity. which of course makes it so much harder to loose it.

going of that patch may be hard, what dosage is it?[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, the patch was increased to 100 mcg i guess it is better not to stop cold turkey, i was just angry.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

You Know I just want to say thank you for that, I needed that, and you are so right in a lot of was I feel I have lost everything and just gave up, self esteem now low thanks to x fiance always teasing me about gaining. But I tell you this girl I am going to do tis this time, I have to I need ME back not this person here today giving up on life because of pain, I am slowly trying to wean off meds but its hard, i try to grin and bear it because all they do is dope me up and make me sleep all day, just wasting life. Its sad because the pain is so bad but i will have to pull somewhere deep inside and try to get through this. Thank you so much for your response
    Rachel

Last edited by HBMod07; 06-23-2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Please only quote the portion of the message you are responding to and not the entire message

Old 06-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

[QUOTE=pooby;3059051] No harm in asking and if you are experiencing any leg pain it could help alleviate that as well.[/QUOTE]
    Hi pooby thank you for the advice, I was on topamax and i have to say it did not help with nerve pain for me, but did control appetite, but i never lost weight and i started swelling from it. Thank you!

Last edited by HBMod07; 06-23-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Closed Thread