It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• leg numbness/ankle rolling?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
    Jessie1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessie1 HB User
    leg numbness/ankle rolling?

Hi everybody,

I posted here about a month or so ago about post-fusion problems I've been having. I'm about 2 1/2 years post-op from a L4-L5-S1 fusion, and for the past few months have been having bad pain in my leg and numbness again. I'm planning on finding a new dr (have moved to a new state since my surgery) as soon as my insurance kicks in (July 1). During the past week or so, I've been having increased numbness in my right calf and foot. The next part is kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best. I'll be walking along, and totally randomly I won't be able to tell where my foot is and my foot/ankle kind of gives out and rolls to the side. The first time I fell, and the last two times I've managed to catch myself before actually hitting the ground. Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen? It's worrying me a bit, especially since I don't have a new doctor yet. I know I need to do that, but wanted to wait for insurance before making an appt. Any advice?

Thanks!

Jessie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
    Bigbay
    (male)

Bigbay HB User
    Re: leg numbness/ankle rolling?

I have it too. I have not fallen, but I have almost many times. I have numbness in my right calf and foot. Most of the time I can't feel the soul of my foot and sometimes it makes it feel like I am walking with something in my shoe. It does make it hard to walk sometimes, so I use a cane. I have not had surgery yet or have I had a discogram yet. I have had this numbness for 3 month now and itis about to drive me mad. I take Lyrica for the numbness, some days it works and other days it just takes the edge off the numbness, but it has helped with my walking alittle. My Doc says this happens because the nerve is pinched off and not firing the mucsle in my leg that causes the weakness.
    I hate it, but I know it will get better with time and surgery.

Thomas

Old 06-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
    klondyke26
    (female)

klondyke26 HB User

[QUOTE=Jessie1;3062352]Hi everybody,

I posted here about a month or so ago about post-fusion problems I've been having. I'm about 2 1/2 years post-op from a L4-L5-S1 fusion, and for the past few months have been having bad pain in my leg and numbness again. I'm planning on finding a new dr (have moved to a new state since my surgery) as soon as my insurance kicks in (July 1). During the past week or so, I've been having increased numbness in my right calf and foot. The next part is kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best. I'll be walking along, and totally randomly I won't be able to tell where my foot is and my foot/ankle kind of gives out and rolls to the side. The first time I fell, and the last two times I've managed to catch myself before actually hitting the ground. Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen? It's worrying me a bit, especially since I don't have a new doctor yet. I know I need to do that, but wanted to wait for insurance before making an appt. Any advice?

Thanks!

Jessie[/QUOTE]

I dont mean to pry, but are you experiencing any bladder/ bowel control issues? I lived with Cauda Equina (spell?) syndrome for about a year before surgery. Your description sounds like a few similiar symptoms -foot turning out. numbness, ankle going out etc.

Or possibly another slipped disc or problem with hardware somewhere? My discs had compressed the spinal/ nerve cords and "shut them off", which lead to the tingling, crooked foot etc. In the mean time I would suggest getting a cane or even a walker to help you balance with the numbness and crooked foot. Don't trust that leg until you see a doc.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:50 AM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I too have this from time to time and you never know when it is going to strike so you have to be on your guard at all times. The trick is not falling because you can really pull your back out and hurt yourself. I believe it does have to do with the nerve.

Good luck and I pray that everything is okay.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi , I had the same thing happen in my left foot/ankle with my most recent bout of sciatica. Complete numbness in my ankle, foot & toes lasted about a month, then it came & went. I had the same thing with my ankle rolling suddenly all over the place. The first night I woke up with the pain, got out of bed, and almost fell b/c I didn't know where my foot was. So it sounds like you have some sort of nerve compression or maybe nerve damage. It could be due to your surgery or could even be a new problem. Definitely bring that up to your new doctor and stress that it is a major concern for you and I wish you lots of luck.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
    Jessie1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessie1 HB User

Thanks for your good wishes, everyone. I figured it probably had something to do with the nerve, but didn't want to admit it to myself. I've done so well after my fusion in Jan. 2005... I just dread the thought of going through that again. I guess it's probably time for a career change, since my job is very physical. At the time of my fusion my doctor told me I needed to switch because my current job is too hard on my back, but I've done so well I figured I was the exception to the rule. Guess not, it just took longer to catch up with me. Between the pain I've been having and now the numbness and this ankle thing, I'm beginning to face reality! I just hope it's not too late and I haven't done more permanent damage.

Klondyke, I'm not experiencing any bladder/bowel control issues, thank goodness. I'm so sorry that you've had to go through that- I can't even imagine.

Thanks again everybody- I can always count on good advice from you guys!

Hugs,

Jessie

Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
    Frosty6
    Veteran
    (female)

Frosty6 HB User

Wow, finally others who have the leg and ankle numbness. I'm sorry you do, but every time I mention it to others they look at me like I have lost my mind. I had my L4-S1 surgery May 06 and about 6 months ago my leg went numb and into some toes. Each month it has gotten worse and now my front and side of my right leg and my foot are completely numb and it feels like I have an ace bandage on my foot that I can't remove. I haven't had the ankle roll too many times but I limp alot and have to use a cane often. Sometimes in the middle of the night my leg will spasm and cause my ankle to turn in. It hurts so bad and really feels so freaky. I mentioned this all to my pain doc and he has me taking two muscle relaxers at night and that seems to have helped with the spasms. Then he ordered an MRI which shows my SI joint (not S1) is moving and is not supposed to, and the nerve has scarring around it causing the numbness in my lower leg. It has gotten much worse in a quick amount of time and he believes it is a progression of the disease. I have a new MRI Wednesday and unless it shows another problem, there isn't anything that can be done to remove the scarring without damaging the nerve itself. I hope that you have far better results than those because it is really depressing. Good luck with a new doc!

Sincerely,
    Lisa

Closed Thread