It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Nsaids

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Nsaids

I am 4 months out and my doctor is saying that the fusion has set up enough that I can take these. I have taken a few and they help but I am really worried about taking them. Any thoughts???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User
    Re: Nsaids

When I was about 4 or 5 months post-op my surgeon gave me Celebrex because I asked for something more than the Norco for pain. They didn't seem to do anything. He didn't really want to prescribe any Nsaids because of the fusion process. He gave me the samples only. About 9 months post-op I was in the hospital ER for pain and they gave me Prednisone, Ativan, and Toradol. That dropped my pain level to about a 3. When I left the hospital they gave me a prescription for the Prednisone and Ativan. No doctor will prescribe the Toradol because of the side effects. That, of course, was the true pain reliever. I guess the Toradol will make your stomach bleed.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

So Chris does it sound reasonable in your non medical opinion?? I already have problems and just do not want to mess anything up at this point.

Last edited by ms_west; 06-24-2007 at 05:35 AM.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
    round2
    (female)

round2 HB User

Hi Pepper,
    My doctor prescribed me motrin 800 mg I asked him if it is true that it delays the fusion process and he said that he has prescribed this too many pts that are not able to take narcotics pain meds and he has never seen it affect anybody's fusion. he said in order for the fusion to take place you need to walk and remain active I started taking a multivitamin and the motrin and it seems to help me for the pain in back and legs. I also followed you advise on the bannanas and water!!!!!! one thing i would like to ask is can we take calcium with d?
    Hope you are feeling better soon!!!
    Denise

Old 06-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I was told before surgery and after surgery to make sure I took or ATE at least 1500 mg. of calcium with vitamin D daily for the first year after surgery. Before any such regimen, I would discuss it with your doctor.

Thank you for the feedback.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
    saversano
    (male)

saversano HB User

heres what I took :
    1- Relefin - did nothing for relief but no side effects.
    2- flexeril - makes you tired . NO real nerve relief
    3- Celebrex- BAD NEWS- Helps a little but made me very sick (blood in stool) bad stomach and chest pain.
    4- ultram- no nerve help at all (no side effects)
    5- nurontin - no nerver help (no side effects)
    6- naproxin - HELPS with pain a little but it's noticable. (no side effects)

Last edited by saversano; 06-24-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I was surprised, too, when my doctor told me that if the Vicodin wasn't quite doing it, to add in some Naproxyn. The alternative was to go back to Percocet, which makes me too drowsy. (I remember you're the opposite from me, that the Vicodin makes you drowsy and the Percocet doesn't.) I didn't want to do that, and he didn't want me taking both, that is, switching to the Percocet on a bad day or at night. Thus, his solution of adding in the Naproxyn. I questioned him on that and he told me he didn't feel it was any problem. i was a little further on than you at that point, but if your doctor has looked at x-rays and feels that you're far enough along to take the NSAIDS, I would go ahead and take them, especially as they seem to be effective for you. As with any pain med, I'd take them as sparingly as possible, but not so sparingly that they aren't doing the job. I think it's probably similar to smoking and fusion: some people don't fuse because they smoke, some have no problem. Some people who take NSAIDS have difficulty fusing, but some don't. If at your next appt, it seems that the process has slowed down, you can always go back to a different pain med. But I really think that if you've gotten this far, you'll be fine!

My non-medical opinion, for what it's worth.

Take care,
    Emily

Old 06-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Emily--How ya been ? I been ok hey I wanted to ask you if you knew if they made a vicodent that came with no tylenol ? I know the oxydocdone I was taking had NO tylenol in it, tylenol makes my tummy upset but help's with the pain. My doctor said they don't make anything like that but someone told me they did.

Shawley.

Pepper- No Nsaids for fusion's . I don't think so anyway

Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley, I think there is a Vicoprofen - vicodin with motrin.

Emily, I have not had an x-ray since 7 weeks so who knows if I am fusing. He saw the beginning of fusion at 7 weeks. I had an MRI at 10 weeks. Nothing since.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
    dub1
    (male)

dub1 HB User

shawley, pepper is right, it is called vicoprofen and it has ibuprofen instead of tylenol. My sister in-law has to take it because regular vicoden causes her the same tummy issues. good luck.

Pepper- If your doc gave you clearance and it helps, it couldn't hurt. I would give it a try at least. I know that my doc was very against me using any nsaids but it is the only thing that works on headaches for me so i have had a couple. That better not be the reason i'm having so much trouble. Good luck. Hope all is well.
    Stenosis
    Nerve damage R/L
    L5-S1 fusion w/hardware
    L-4 herniated
    Dorsal column spinal stimulator
    Bi-Polar,Gen. Anxiety disorder

Old 06-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #11
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

I don't know really what to take or not to take anymore. I do what the doctor says and I don't feel better and then I do what I want and still don't feel any better. I really think you are fused at 4 months, if not you aren't going to. That's just my personal opinion. I smoke and I fused. My doctor said I was fusing at 10 weeks. He told the insurance company rep that I was solid according to the x-ray at one year. He wanted to take the hardware out then. I have taken Ibuprofen within the last 8 months, but I am also 21 months post-op. Now my sister-in-law had a fusion done at one level, micro surgery and only took ibuprofen for 6 weeks after surgery for pain and she fused and had her hardware removed at 18 months post-op. So it is like one doctor says it's alright to take them and another says no way. Are the Nsaids suppose to take away swelling?

Old 06-25-2007, 03:56 AM   #12
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Yes they are supposed to reduce swelling and inflammation. I think this may be one of those debatable topics. I will take them from time to time but I am scared to take them daily.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:43 AM   #13
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User

Hi Pepper,

I can understand your concern over taking these at this point in time. If the doc is saying ok?? I would have another talk with him if you are not comfortable in taking them. My neuro did not mention to me to take these, of course he wants me off meds but I told him when the pain goes it goes. Believe me I want that more than anything! I really hope if you are not fused at 4 months you won't be is not true. I am 6 months and not fused, some bone growth. I do wonder, so many people on here fuse so fast. Anyway I guess we are all diffrent. Hope today brings you less pain and happiness.

Rose

Old 06-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #14
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi everyone!

Rose, don't get too worried. Bone growth typically doesn't starting showing until 3 months. Some of us have been blessed with remarkably faster growth, for which I, for one, am very thankful. But it can take a year or more for fusion to be complete. Some people are slower at growing bone than others, even if they do everything to the optimum. Keep up your exercises and your walking. Are you still off the cigarettes? You've done so well, don't give up. There's still room for a whole lot of hope!

Hi back, Shawley,
    Guess you got your question answered before I got on here and found it. I had heard of Vicoprofen, too, and actually have it on a sticky note on my computer to remember to ask my family doctor once I get switched over to him for pain meds. That won't be until after the next little surgery in September or October. I won't rock the boat for now, but it does concern me being on tylenol for the long term, even though it's within the "safe" range.

Pepper, I hope you get some relief. Maybe save it for the worst days. Are you done with school and able to relax more now?

~Emily

Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 AM   #15
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Heck I'm 2 years post op and still not solidly fused . I know I said this over and over but I have heard this from a worker comp Dr. he said the only way to know for sure if your fused is to open you back up, clean the soft tissue from the area and grab the hardware and pull to see if there is any movment . I believe this surgeon because he told me this 2 years ago when my surgeon said I was fusing and it was enough to remove the hardware , after he opened me up he found the bone never healed it was dry and flakey like a dried up fish. He also wrote in his report this year that he seen no sign of fusion again . Guess I'll have to rely on the hardware to hold everything in its place.

Emily thank's for the info , I'm going to ask my PM Dr. about this hydrocodone , I'm taking 10MG's of it and it does help with the pain.

Shawley

Closed Thread