It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• back pain from coughing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User
    back pain from coughing

I've had a nasty cold for the last 4 days and have been coughing a ton. Last night I coughed so hard that I hurt my lower back. My vertebrae actually feel bruised and now since I can't move well everything is getting tight. The doctor gave me Motrin 800 and said ice. The motrin doesn't make it feel better at all and the ice just makes it stiffer and more sore when I try to move. Side to side bending I do okay. It is really front to back that hurts me most. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User
    Re: back pain from coughing

Sorry about your cold, hope it does not last to long. I would try a heating pad. The heat may loosen up your back. You can also rotate the ice and heat 20 min on 20 min off. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Rose

Old 06-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, I agree that you should try a moist heating pad on the area. It may help a bit with the spasms. If your pain stays the same or gets worse over a few weeks, best to go back to the doctor to have it checked more thoroughly as you might have herniated a disc or something.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
    Tucsonlady40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Hi Sky,

I agree with what the others had said. I have also been told by dr.s that just by sneezing, YOU CAN herniate a disc. I know it sounds strange to some, but the pressure of a sneeze is so strong that it can happen.

If your motrin is not working, then call you dr. back and let them know. Maybe they can try something else that you can get some relief from. Also, if your not better in a couple of weeks, then you should go back to your dr, and hopefully he can run some tests.

Take care, I hope you can find some relief soon.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
    saversano
    (male)

saversano HB User

Hi ,
    You know ... You can also have a lung infection. Many times a lung infection will cause pain in the back . That combined with the coughing would make me think you need an xray.
    Good luck

Old 06-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
    skyhighifly
    (female)

skyhighifly HB User

The good news is that the pain and stiffness have improved. In no way is it back to normal. I'm 26 and a former gymnast and I had previously injured the same area of my back in a fall on some stairs. So long as I keep up with the Motrin and keep moving I do alright. Heat has also helped far more than ice. I'll keep plugging away. Hopefully it will get better soon. Thanks for all the replies and support.

Closed Thread