It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Scar tissue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
    L78
    (male)

L78 HB User
    Scar tissue

Are there any ways to eliminate or make scar tissue better, i had to disectomy surgeries at l4 l5 and have a ton of scar tissue around the area that is causing me lots of pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Scar tissue

From my non-medical degree understanding any time you have surgery, scar tissue is a risk and there is nothing you can do to prevent it. There used to be a material they could put inside you that was supposed to help prevent scar tissue but either FDA banned its use or they no longer support this medication for this use. Can't remember which my doctor said.

Whether or not you can have it surgically removed is a gamble. You may create further problems and additional scarring.

Hope this helps some.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
    bushranger
    Inactive
    (male)

bushranger HB User

I'm with L78 on the scar tissue. I have heaps of it on my back and this is the cause of my pain. And to get rid of it would only create more scar tissue. So it could only make thing worse. The Bushranger

Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

I also have alot of scar tissue from my surgery and my surgeon said the same, there isn't really any way to prevent it or cure it. (As someone else said, if you have more surgery to get rid of it, chances are you will just form alot of scar tissue again). I just had sciatica from disc herniations and probably scar tissue in a lateral recess plus scar tissue around the discs and elsewhere. It was thought my pain was only stemming from one area. I had a nerve block done almost 3 weeks ago, and so far, it's been a great relief. It could have flushed some of the lodged tissue during the injection, and I hope once the steroids wear off, that my sciatic pain doesn't return, but we shall see. Of course , this doesnt work for everyone, either. Unfortunately there isnt much that can cure it except for trying to treat the pain with meds, etc..

Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

There is only a few doctors that do surgery just to remove scar tissue.(Florida). Success?? I know that scar tissue will more than likely come back after being removed. Failed back surgery (the failure to relieve pain) is not just because of scar tissue. You need to really have some good test done with dye and then go over everything with your surgeon. If the scar tissue is in the spinal canal or nerve canal it can be causing the nerves to be entrapped. The canals can be cleared by surgery. (Success is 50/50) This surgery is the one I am waiting for to be approved. One denial, but my attorney is involved now. They denied my back surgery before 4 or 5 times. Violated a court order twice. So I guess I sit in pain. With the pain I suffer I will go to Florida if I have to for the surgery. I also need hardware removal. The scar tissue is around the screws at both levels. I believe most of my pain comes from the hardware and not the scar tissue. I think a lot of these insurance companies have these doctors just say it is scar tissue and nothing can be done, without really looking to see if other things are wrong. $$$ you know.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Yes, there is something that can be done. This won't work in all cases, especially with deep scar tissue, but the incision can be worked to loosen and break up scar tissue. This is how my therapist taught me:
    Place the fingers of both hands along your incision. Moving the fingers all together, that is, not pulling apart but moving in the same direction all the time, work the incision back and forth for a minute or two, then up and down for a minute or two. Then reposition your fingers along the next section of the incision and repeat.

If you're not able to reach you incision, you might want to teach this to your spouse or some other trusted person. For me, this was the solution! I had one section of my front incision that felt like it was tied to my insides and was very painful. This broke it up within a week. I have continued to work both my front and back incisions everyday for a minute and have had great success.

My therapist also did "deep tissue work" on me, working much harder and at a different angle than I could. She always got it popping, which was the scar tissue breaking up. I am now 9 months post op and have absolutely no problems with scar tissue anymore.

I hope this helps. Scar tissue can be so painful!
    Blessings,
    Emily

Old 06-28-2007, 06:24 AM   #7
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

I have had scar issue's , my surgeon cleaned it out and put a dura sleeve around my dura to protect scar from growing on it. I guess the dura is where all your nerves are. I have recieved SOME relief but very little from it.

But like other's have said more surgery causes more scar to form. I wish you the best of luck.

Shawley

Old 06-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
    avglenn
    (male)

avglenn HB User

I have a large amount of scar tissue surrounding (encasing)the S1 nerve. They wont do anything about it. If they tried to cut it out, jeopordizing the nerve itself, the tissue would just grow right back. One Dr. claims its the cause of all my ailments of back & legs pain. Another surgeon suggested a 2 level fusion and that I have discogenic pain. I think its a combination, but all I know my legs are slowly declining. No strength in my legs. It really sucks !

Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Yep me too , my left leg is weaker than the right. What to do ? Even with the stimulator my left leg will probably continue to grow weaker and weaker.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
    L78
    (male)

L78 HB User

thanks for all the responces, i feel i will have to deal with it unless they come upwith a new way to get rid of it or dissolve it, rob

Last edited by L78; 06-28-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
    Lilly66
    (female)

Lilly66 HB User

Does scar tissue in fact cause pain? Have the doctors said so...?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 PM   #12
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

Scar tissue is painless. It is the nerves that it presses on that cause the pain.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #13
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Chris is right ,scar tissue put's pressure on the nerves making it to cause pain.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Yep, that's right. Scar tissue only causes pain when it presses into nerves. That is partly what happpened to me.

Closed Thread