It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• "just deal with the pain"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
    chadwickBT
    (male)

chadwickBT HB User
    "just deal with the pain"

seriously, if I hear anyone else say that I'm going to have to hurt them! I have heard that so many times, ate lunch today with a lady that used to work where I do now, who has some back issues, she said she sometimes has to take a few tylenol at night and tries not to even do that when she doesn't really need it, and proceeded to lecture me about how dangerous pain meds are...I gave up on trying to explain that I'm not addicted I need them to function, and it's not even serious drugs (ultram 1q4-6h)...my mom thinks I'm an addict too. GRRR I have read about a lot of you guys going through the same thing, at lunch I was wishing I had my laptop to come on here! Anyway thanks for letting me vent, I am glad I get so much useful information here, thanks. Best of luck and you all are in my prayers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User
    Re: "just deal with the pain"

Hi there. Why are you taking ultram? I am assuming since you are posting on this forum it's obviously due to a spine issue.

If so, it's quite rare for those with true chronic pain that ever become addicted. We can often become dependent upon them though. There is a difference.

You have to learn to ignore those that do not understand chronic pain. Such as the woman that pops a tylenol for her bad back aches. More likely she does not have chronic back pain, but just a typical back ache. Not that she doesnt hurt, but you know what I mean.

Either way.. ignore those comments.. not worth getting upset over. Take your prescribed meds as you need to guy!

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Justoneofus
    I completely agree with you about the difference in additiction and dependency. Someone whom is addicted will crave the meds and do anything to get them. People whom have been on meds for a period of time the body gets dependent on them and they may have a withdrawal if they run out of their meds but will deal with it until they get their script.

This is really a sore subject as people whom have not had to live in chronic pain do not understand this or think it is awful that we that narcotics for pain relief.

I get so angry at people that judge and don't know the facts. Since I have been in chronic pain over a year now I have found out whom my true friends really are.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

Yeah those people really make me mad. One time a friend told me if I would just think positive and believe I am healing I could heal myself. I wanted to strangle her. I just had to stay away from people like that, they dont' have a clue. Hang in there, we understand.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I also don't always think the doctors get it.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
    lisa3451
    (female)

lisa3451 HB User

My father and brother were both disabled at an early age from chronic back problems, now paossibly myself. I grew up hearing friends and relatives attempting to give advise. The truth of the matter is that until you have walked in the shoes of that person you will never understand their pain and what they are going through. Even with each other on the board, our situations are different and unique. I know its difficult, most people are trying to genuinely help with their words, however, many just seem to make matter worse. Have you noticed how it starts turning into a "who hurts more" contest??? Its like you could'nt possibly hurt as bad as me???? or they imply that somehow your "weak" because your injured and need pain pills. And my personal favorite, "I wish I could get this much time off from work" are they CRAZY!!! The unfortunate truth is that we will all have to endure what has been put before us, fortunatly we have each other, vent, vent, vent!!!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Yeah If I had a dime everytime I heard suck it up and other suggestions I'd buy a new spine. It get's old very fast but I remember I was the same way , sorry spiney's but I was. I used to think people who had back issue's where after a huge settlement , I'm truly sorry I was that dumb. But alot of people I know are uneducated about back issue's. My best buddy , stopped in yesterday and he know's how I was and what crazy abuse I used to do at work and play. He told me from what he say's I have grown 40 years older because of my injury , I used to play hardball tackle football . I would hit you so hard and knock you off the ground, now I'm like a teddy bear. I hate it when I have to get my daughter or wife to do my work around the house but they are so understanding they get mad if I do anything.

Now to the Med's--Believe it or not ! If you were on your Med's for a few months you will crave them if you miss them , it's normal . Besides the horrible pain you will get anxiety / sickness in your tummy /and diarea to boot ,plus your pain will get very high. My old Dr. had me on 15MG oxycodone and 30 MG Morphine, and when he up and moved his office out of town and couldn't fill them I went crazy , Pepper will tell you how bad it was for me. I went crazy for a few week's but after they wore off , I only had the pain and it wasn't near what it was when I first stopped the Med's.
    I take 10MG Hydrocodone now and If I miss a dose it isn't as bad as it was.

Dependancy is addiction , but we all know we need our med's to cope with our pain and there isn't nothing wrong with that. Dr.'s do not want to hand out narcotic's because of this. Some times I wish they could wear my shoe's for one day.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Don't you like that, ha? It is so nice to give an advice when you have no clue what the person goes through. Tylenol? She is a lucky woman that Tylenol can help her for back pain, for me personaly it's like taking vitamins, i feel no relieve from Tylenol.
    Don't be upset over this; like someone said she doesn't walk in your shoes, that is why she does not understand chronic (severe) back pain and how hard to deal with it 24/7.
    My brother-in-low, who i love, told me once that what is the big deal, he has herniated disc and has no pain and keeps working... He ment that i am not working. I worked with many herniated discs, severe ddd and arthrities since i was very young, and if car accident would not add to this picture broken discs and vertibrate (sp?) that lead to a big surgery -i still would work with all the pain i had. But i would not dare teach somebody what meds to take or "learn to leave with it". This is not nice or fair.
    Stay well and strong, best wishes.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:05 AM   #9
    zeroman
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

zeroman HB User

I just smile at the (very few luckily) people who tell me that. people with normal backs think that we just have the kind of pain they get when there back is sore. several of my friends have had back surgery so they know 1st hand what its like.

I dont know if youve had any surgery done yet but if you have just ask them why an insurance company would pay over a 100 grand for a fusion or whatever if your back was "just sore."

btw some people can become dependent on ultram, others have no problem. just want to let you know. personally I had no problem with them.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
    Sage48
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

I guess we all have had to listen to those out there who are soo fortunate as to not have "back pain" that requires serious medication. Tylenol is a joke for us...I know, went to a PM Dr. 2 yrs. ago...who said, get off the drugs...take tylenol...ok, stupid me.....did it....and wound up crying in my primary Drs. office 3 weeks later... Needless to say that person is no longer my PM... We all have family and friends etc. who get along just fine....lucky them....we just had the bad luck to develope the pain....they didn't. My primary Dr. (new one 1 1/2 yrs. ago) doesn't believe in medications....yup....his thought process is that you can get used to it over time...YOU THINK??? Well, guess I'm weak...can't do that....that's why I have a PM Dr. Primary thinks we "focus" on the pain...we should move on....sure....Told him, if he could or anyone could get rid of the pain, I'd be able to focus on something else...and move on from that subject. What world are these people from....they just don't get it....we don't like taking the meds./shots/mri/emg/surgery...we don't do it for fun that is for sure... The meds. allow us to live a more normal life...to be able to participate and not "focus" on our pain....If I become dependent, oh well, at least I am living life, and when and if, the pain is cured, I will take care of the dependency...I sincerely hope that everyone has a good day...and a happy 4th of July.

Sage

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
    dunerkat58
    (female)

dunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB User

I have lived with this for years. No one understands how much pain affects you. My pain has relatively low for many years and has recently returned with a vengence. I believe even my family doesn't always believe how exhausted and fed up I get from this. Doctors are even worse - I had one tell me once that my test results didn't look that bad and my pain couldn't be as intense as I was telling him. It's very difficult to deal with back pain as well as get treatment for it.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Yea, I like to ignore people who are that ignorant. Then when THEY finally end up with some sort of back pain or other pain, I'll tell them to just suck it up. So many people don't understand unless they actually go through the same thing. I guess it's like that with many life experiences, even other than pain. I just hate when they think they know better & tell you how you should be feelling. Anyhoots, feel free to vent to us all you want! We DO Understand!

Old 07-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
    Arthr Itis
    Inactive
    (male)

Arthr Itis HB User

I get a kick out of the people who have "cures" for my pain. Like "drink cherry juice it sure helped my pain". I tried it and of course the only thing that happened is I discovered I don't like cherry juice. Another one is corel calcium. Not just any old stuff it's got to be a special [expensive] Okinawan corel. I was told that because it "fixed" a friend of a friends second cousin's grandfather arthritic finger. I just tell them I've tried it and it didn't work. They give me a funny look and change the subject. As far as finding out who your friends are.....after my wife passed away I found out I don't have very many friends. But my dog loves me, as long as I feed him! Thanks for the vent! Fred

Old 07-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #14
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

You know what i totally agree with you about this, and what most of the people have said on this board. I have and still am going through with you are going through. I beleive people just dont understand unless they have dealth with chronic pain in themselves. I have to deal with it from family, friends and all. It just sucks thank God for this board.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
    kevkli
    (male)

kevkli HB User

I have been through this as well. The thing is, you pay them to help you. I f you don't like how they are treating you, tell them where to go and find another DR. or PM. I got tired of all the stupid looks and in some cases , just treated like you were a drug addict, like a heroin user or something.

We have a reason we take the meds, not just to get high. switch PM until you get 1 who really cares and knows what you are going thru.

take care and god bless,
    Kevin

Closed Thread