It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• HELP PLEASE! 3 weeks post op L5 S1 Fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
    Elle11
    (female)

Elle11 HB User
    HELP PLEASE! 3 weeks post op L5 S1 Fusion

Hi! I am 3 weeks post op from spinal fusion. My second week I was feeling better. I was still having pain, but generally better. Now, during my third week I feel that I am in worse pain than before. Especially in my buttocks. And I am still feeling the same old pain as before my surgery. I am still prescribed pain medication but am wondering when I will start feeling human again. I feel like I have a virus, no energy and pain. I am ready to get moving! Has anyone been through this and what was your experience?

Thanks a lot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
    Roy47
    Inactive
    (male)

Roy47 HB User
    Re: HELP PLEASE! 3 weeks post op L5 S1 Fusion

Elle11,

I would say that you are doing well, the first couple of weeks are not a picnic in my experience. I had my surgery of the 12 of Feb this year. L1-L4-L5...

You should start feeling better any old day, hang in there. Go to my old posts of Roy47 and is is a run down of most all of the experiences that I ahve encountered for the most part.

Roy

Old 07-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

Yes I would suggest searching back, alot of us did one week, two week etc post op updates. "You have to remember this is a very major hard surgery to recover from not a simple gallbladder or somthing. You will turn a corner and start feeling better, and at other times feel like you've screwed soemtthing up. When you over do it, you will pay and learn the hard way like the rest of us, and sometimes it will take days to get back to where you were. My best suggestion is to walk as much as possible and follow instructions pretty much at three weeks I was in bed rest except when up walking. Three weeks from now you will be in a whole new place and even then its challening but now I am about 14 weeks and I am doing awesome, so hang in there and remember one day at a time. Also like someone told me, you only have one shot are recovery so don't screw it up literally.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
    RM8251
    (male)

RM8251 HB User
    Cool Re: HELP PLEASE! 3 weeks post op L5 S1 Fusion

Hi,
    As Roy and a few other people can tell you I had a remarkable recovery from L5 S1 ant/pos laminectomy. I had my surgery March 14th and I'm now playing tennis with my 9 year old and I'm 55. Before surgery I couldn't walk.

Stay as active as you can ! The pain in the butt will go away. Take your meds stay pain free it makes it easier to move around. The more you move the quicker you fuse and heal. I was fused at six weeks! Don't fall into a funk your mental attitude is 90% of the battle.
    Stay strong the best is yet to come .

Richard

Old 07-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I feel for you!
    3 weeks after surgery is still so early of your recovery... i had pain month and month after my surgery. Ups and downs all the time. So sorry you have to go thru this, but based on so many people experienses this is a part of recovery.
    But don't get descouraged, you will be OK, just give yourself time; how my Doctor said " Time is the best Doctor after spinal surgeries".
    Best of luck on your recovery.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
    Elle11
    (female)

Elle11 HB User

I am amazed at the encouragement from SO MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE! I am already feeling better.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Elle11; 07-07-2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Old 07-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Also alot of times they will give you an injection of numbing stuff and steroids while you are under and they begin to wear off around the 3rd week so don't worry about the increased pain. Listen to your body and if it hurts, stop. Then try it a week or two down the road and see if you now are able to do it.

Remember no bending, lifting, or twisting.

Good luck and don't hestiate to ask any questions or vent if you need to.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
    rockflower
    (male)

rockflower HB User

I had my surgery on May 23rd. You will have ups and downs. Get plenty of rest but carefully stretch your legs and walk as much as you can. That was the advice my doc gave me and it has been true for relieving pain, BUT everyone is different in how they heal so guidelines are just that. Keep your spirits up knowing you will be better in a few months. Healing hurts.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 AM   #9
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User

Hi Ellee 11,

Just 2 weeks ahead of you same fusion...... Would love to hear more about what you are able to do.. I am kind of struggling with pain aswell see my previous posts, but actually made it out for a coffee for an hour I was so thrilled !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone here on the board are just fantastic, and I really would be lost without their advice, and being able to vent off that frustration. I feel I am at the stage where its been awhile since surgery and want better results. Would love to hear your experience and how you are doing please post

Round 1

Old 07-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
    Elle11
    (female)

Elle11 HB User

Hello Round 1,
    I am only three weeks post op....still in pain, depressed because I feel like I will always be this way, gained weight because I can't exercise and blown up like a balloon because of my pain medication. I'm still feeling some of the same old "pre surgery" pains. Is this normal? Will is go away. Also, I see my doctor this week. Do you think he will let me start walking (i.e. for exercise?)

Please reply and tell me how you're doing and your recovery progress. Maybe I'm just trying to rush my recovery.

Thanks so much for your concern.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #11
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User

Hello,

You seem to be up early judging from the posting time.

Okay. The pain I have most days is I feel more surgurical pain, but have also experienced by old pain. I kept a log book of my times up and lying down during the days so I could look back on the bad days and see some progress.

Week 3 I was just walking around the house, up and down the hall going stir crazy.... couldnt sit for long. What I have found useful is a "back friend" it is a seat that you can put on top of any seat so I found it good for hard chairs and stopped them pressing on my back.

All im doing at the moment is walking 10 - 15 minutes, sitting for awhile, walk around again !!!! and I hope to pass an hour doing that, then I lie down again. I have found now I can sit for longer, but still sore..... I too get totally frustrated and fed-up, and wonder did I do the right thing!! but I know I did. I mentioned I made it out today, I couldnt do that 3 weeks ago, so week by week you do improve that is why I found the diary helpful. But my consultant said look more for monthly progress as weekly is sometimes hard to see... Are you walking around your house? I need to get out of the bed after 90 min as my back is just locked, need to walk it out. Before surgery I could lie there all day and it wouldnt matter but now I have to move, or sit. I am starting physio this week coming so hopefully that might help me along as wel.

Let me know how you are doing.
    Great to chat.
    Round 1

Old 07-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
    Elle11
    (female)

Elle11 HB User

Bless you Round 1!!!!!!!!!!

Did you get a back brace for walking around? It sure does help. My husband and I just finished straightening the house (with my brace on and 10 mg of Lortab). Are you prescribed pain medication? I couldn't function without it. I take approximately 30 mg per day. Plus I take 80 mg of Ibuprofen every 4 hours and muscle relaxer at bedtime.

I can get comfortable in a recliner with a pillow behind my back and I sleep with a pillow between my knees. Sometimes I use ice on my back and that really helps. I have decided to get out and do SOMETHING once a day even if it's just to pick some flowers. I think the outdoors does us all some good.

Thank you for your concern and replies. It truly helps knowing someone else is walking in my shoes even if they're a little ahead of me.

Elle

p.s. Is the meaning of Round 1 your first surgery or your first cocktail for the day? Just kidding!!!!!!!!! My maiden name is McCoy. Are you Irish??

Old 07-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User

I am new to this site and I have learned so much already. I am 2 weeks post op L5-S1 laminectomy. In addition to the herniated disc I also had a 3 cm X 3 cm piece of the disc which broke completely off and was "free floating". I also am still having the same pain as before surgery, although it is not constant but intermittant....buttock, calf and foot pain along with mild numbness in the right foot. I'm still on Clinoril and PRN Darvocet. I see my doc on Tuesday and am really concerned about my return to work. I am on Workmens Comp and I hear they will attempt to force you back quickly. I am an RN in an intensive care unit and hurt my back when an IV pump started to slide on the pole and I caught it (of course you don't think, you just react to keep the patient safe). They said before surgery that I could go back and do sedentary work possibly after a "few weeks". Right now I find myself needing to rotate walking, sitting, standing and laying throughout the day and can't imagine going back at all yet. What time frame is everyone returning to work?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #14
    Elle11
    (female)

Elle11 HB User

Two weeks post op and first appointment with doctor Tuesday. You are barely out of the OR. I'm thinking 4-6 weeks back to work. You have just had MAJOR SURGERY. Talk to your doctor about the workman's comp thing. It's his decision as to when you can return to work

Last edited by Elle11; 07-08-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #15
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User

Elle 11 and Deb

Yes Elle I am Irish !!!!!!!! Round1 - yes when I was signing up I thought this is Round1 before surgery never thought of the drink !!!!!!!!.

I am taking Oxycontin 5mg once a day and then tylex throughout the day, Have taken the odd muscle relaxant at night, but generally dont bother.

You mentioned picking the flowers, I hope you are not bending for them ?????? Great to hear from you, I normally log on everyday just to pass the time and get help which I would be lost without. Keep me posted to hear how you are doing.

Deb, I know you are wondering about work but dont even go there I had a fusion 5 weeks ago, and couldnt even possibly consider going back for months, but yet reading the info on it some say 4-6 weeks return to work others say 6 months !!!!!!!!!!! where does one go from there!!! I know I would be more 6 months, but I have been out of work here for the last 3 years so it is way down on my list now.

Round 1

Closed Thread