It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• question about legs cramping at night.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User
    question about legs cramping at night.....

Good morning everyone,

I have a question that I hope people can help clue me in on. Last night while I was fast asleep, I was awakened to painful cramping in my legs. I had to get out of bed and try and stretch this out ( went on for about 20 min or so ). They where quite painful and would like to prevent that from happening again! Don't need any new problems! Have had my fill with my back pain. Could this of happened because I have been doing to much or what??? Help! Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
    Re: question about legs cramping at night.....

Good morning to you... I know how painful this can be...

I believe last week we had a nice conversation about this subject and a lot of people gave their opinions on this matter. You can find find this if you go on 2-3 page .
    Have a great day!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hi Rose,
    I get this sometimes, too. What a rude awakening, to say the least! I have to get up and just walk, walk, walk until it works out. And then do you just pop back into bed and drift off to sleep? NOT!

I have found, just as you suggested, that if I've done a lot that has particularly stressed my legs (like doing gardening or something, although that hasn't happened this year), I'm more likely to get those horrible cramps. I always keep my legs covered at night, even if it's hot. That seems to be the biggest key for me. I've had a lot less of these in the past two or three years, and I wonder if it's because I take more vitamins than I used to. Beginning three years ago, I have been taking extra calcium and a multi vitamin everyday. (I take a couple other things, too, but I don't think they're related as they're more recent.)

I hope you find something that helps. It's hard enough when it's easy to get up. I wouldn't want to have to struggle up with back problems!

Blessings,
    Emily

Old 07-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, I often have the same thing happen. For myself, cramps and spasms were at their worst before I had surgery for stenosis. After some time, almost every part of my body was in constant spasms or cramps. I also got alot of leg and foot cramps with my last bout of sciatica. My left foot was almost completely numb for many weeks..so the only good thing about it was I laid there watching my left foot and toes cramp up, yet I felt no pain. IT was the weirdest thing. I don't know why I get so many cramps, though. I have tried potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, stretching, and muscle relaxant meds for mine, but nothing ever helped. However, there are people who have a deficiency in some of these, and that can cause cramping. So it is a possibility. I do know how it is and it is certainly no picnic.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

The magnesium and calcium is good. Gatoraide can sure help also.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
    xzx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xzx HB User

Thanks for all the tips and support! I am glad to report that last night I did not have the cramping in the legs ( thank you!! ) I hope this continue's. I feel for everybody here that has to deal with this issue on top of everything else. Again thank you Mel, Emily, Baybreeze, and Moldova for taking the time to help me out!

Rose

Old 07-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
    MoLu
    Inactive
    (female)

MoLu HB User

Rose-
    You might try drinking more water. I have bad cramping at the end of the day and night time. Seems to go in spurts. I have for years but I too have had some medical conditions that have just surfaced in the last two years. One was low thyroid so I got my meds for that. Dr thought that might be the reason. Didn't help and kept cramping. Have back problems also and numbness in foot like Baybreeze so maybe that is the reason. Just don't know why. I have started to notice I have more cramping at the end of a work week and I know I don't drink enough while working. So when I start cramping again it reminds me to start drinking better and it does seem to help. Give that a try. It's enough to do. And cheap!
    Good luck to you,
    Martha

Old 07-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

To those who mentioned the minerals, I agree. I've had muscle cramping all my life and calcium and magnesium help me the most. If you can do some isometric or stretching exercises before bed that helps to ward off the cramping by lubricating/relaxing the muscles. Drink the recommended amount of water every day, unless you have some reason you can't.

Stretch your hamstrings by lifting you leg straight up towards the ceiling (if you can without pain) and use a theraband across your instep to pull the leg towards you-slightly. Heel lifts work good too, but anything that will stretch the calf and hamstring that isn't vigorous should help.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 07-29-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Talking Re: question about legs cramping at night.....

This will sound totally nuts but it works better than meds or supplements.
    Just try it. Take a bar of soap, not Dove or Dial, and put it near your legs underneath the bottom sheet.
    No more leg cramps. LOL ! Change the soap every 3 mos.
    I KNOW IT SOUNDS CRAZY!!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I actually have tried ivory soap and I think it helped me believe it or not.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I use the soap too for the desire to keep moving my legs and it helps. A nurse friend just suggested to me to drink tonic water for cramps, less sodium than gatorade

Old 09-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Mel,
    tonic water is good, but very often cramps is the sign that your body lucks Calcium and Magnesium. This also happens to people who take water pills since the meds wash C/M from your body and you need to replace it with the supplements.
    Hope it may help you!

Old 09-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hmm, my mother says the same thing about soap...

Old 09-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Question Re: question about legs cramping at night.....

[QUOTE=Baybreeze;3193864]Hmm, my mother says the same thing about soap...[/QUOTE]

My 86 yr old girlfriend told me about it two days ago. I've been thinking: if it stops RLS and cramps, why wouldn't it be great for something else? Maybe some ailment SIMILAR to leg cramps but I can't think of what that would be.
    "I have cramps at night in my ......?" How does it work? Does bar soap give off something in the scent that penetrates the muscles? No, that's can't be right....

Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Don't laugh but I have been thinking on moving it up and laying my back on it. I will try anything at this point.

Closed Thread