It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Gabapentin for sciatic pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #16
    camperboy
    (male)

camperboy HB User
    Re: Gabapentin for sciatic pain?

I might as well ask... how long did it take y'all to really feel the effects? I'm starting on 300mg and working up to 900mg over the next week or so. Thanks for all your great answers!

-Davey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #17
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

I didn't have that much success until I reached the 1600mg level taken all at once at bedtime. My pain comes when I lie down so that my daytime pain was never the issue but my nightime pain was unbearable. You should be getting some relief over the first couple of weeks but perhaps not to the degree that you will eventually experience as the drug builds up in your system. This is not a drug that you use as you need. It has to be taken all of the time and the dosage has to be at the appropriate level.

You will know it when it begins to work because the change usually is dramatic. Remember it does not work for back pain only for leg pain. It is strictly for referred nerve pain.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
    camperboy
    (male)

camperboy HB User

Thanks for the info. I may have to get my doc to up the dose, but we'll see how 900mg goes.

I must say I'm excited and hopeful . Epidural injections have not worked, a lot of the narcotics I tried had uncomfortable side effects. The vicodin works pretty good, but I've been taking it for nearly 2 years and I'm definitely building up a tolerance to it. Morphine works but I get REALLY dopey.

I've had a little pain at the site of the disc problem but almost all of my pain has been sciatic pain - mostly in the glute and the outside of my calf. So again I'm really hopeful about this! But we'll see.

-Davey

Last edited by camperboy; 07-30-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 AM   #19
    barbie62
    (female)

barbie62 HB User

Hi Davey, I have been on Gabapentin for around 7 months. My dose just keeps getting increased. I have extreme nerve pain in my right leg from RSD and failed back syndrome. Anyway, I take 600 in the am, 600 in afternoon, around 5, depending on when I get up and then I have just added another one in the evening and I take 1200 and bedtime. So I guess that is in 3000 mg's a day. I also take methadone, blood pressure med, depression med and dilaudid for break thru. The main problem I have is the sleepyness. I was not able to stay awake at first. It has taken me this long to be able to stay awake most of the day. Of course I take alot of meds so it is hard to say what is causing my side effects. I have no appetite but I think that is not due to the gabapentin. I know that when I forget a dose my pain gets worse. That is how if figured out it was working because all of my pain is not gone and it never will be. I will always be on some sort of pain management.
    I hope this helps you with your siatic pain. And yes it does take some time to get the full effect. So don't give up on it.

Take Care,
    Barbara

Old 07-31-2007, 02:40 AM   #20
    camperboy
    (male)

camperboy HB User

Hey Barbara... I noticed the sleepiness is starting to diminish a little, I've had to "adjust" to meds before so I know the drill. Wow, sounds like a lot of meds, but I think I'll be up there with you some point soon... I'm going to have to go on a statin for cholesterol (it's hereditary) in addition to my SSRI and the gaba. All these meds do something to me but the tradeoff is worth it, I guess. I'd rather be a little sleepy than crawling on my hands and knees to the bathroom. But, we'll see how it goes.

Take care!

-Davey

Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #21
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

Hey davey, I was on neurontin first and it was titrated from 100mg at bedtime to 600mg 3x a day, it never worked and I gian weight, i took lyrica it did not work, gained more weight, then i suggested topamax, well of course it did not work, i did have decreased appetite but i swolled up. Total weight gain of about 45 lbs since dec 06, not to included all the streoids.

But if it is working for you i am glad, not everone get the same neg effects. I wish you the best

Old 09-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #22
    camperboy
    (male)

camperboy HB User

[QUOTE=camperboy;3128166]Hey Barbara... I noticed the sleepiness is starting to diminish a little, I've had to "adjust" to meds before so I know the drill. Wow, sounds like a lot of meds, but I think I'll be up there with you some point soon... I'm going to have to go on a statin for cholesterol (it's hereditary) in addition to my SSRI and the gaba. All these meds do something to me but the tradeoff is worth it, I guess. I'd rather be a little sleepy than crawling on my hands and knees to the bathroom. But, we'll see how it goes.

Take care!

-Davey[/QUOTE]

Well, here I am, 4 weeks later. Up to 600 mg/3x a day. Nothing. I may try the nortryptaline as someone recommended. But I am just sick to death of the whole thing. I was really hoping this was going to work. But I'll keep going for another week or two.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #23
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I was on Gabapentin for about 6 months. I was on 900mg. It did nothing. After about 6 months I started swelling up. So I switched to Lyrica. The dr. just doubled my dose so I am up to 300mg. I don't think it is helping. I start to wonder if anything helps. Will keep trying though. Hope you find something that works. Keep us updated.

The following user gives a hug of support to hessie28:
    missciss (08-23-2011)
    Closed Thread