It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

  • What kind of doctor treats scoliosis?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: USA
    Posts: 10
    bjmp45 HB User
    What kind of doctor treats scoliosis?

    I am an older adult who was diagnosed with "mild" scoliosis as a child. No one ever knew I have it because it has just never been that noticeable unless I was in a bathing suit.

    It has become worse as I have aged, though, and I would like to see a doctor who could evaluate my problem and give me some sort of prognosis. Trouble is I don't know what kind of doctor to see. The local orthopedic doctors do not see back patients, and I'm not sure if I need to see one anyway. And I'm a bit reluctant to see a chiropractor.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

    Sponsors Lightbulb
    Old 07-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
    Senior Veteran
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Posts: 2,072
    Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
    Re: What kind of doctor treats scoliosis?

    Hi, the best doc to see for scoliosis would be a spine specialist, probably an orthopedic one (or even a neurologist taht specializes in the spine). The best would be to find one that specializes in adult scoliosis. My spine surgeon is an ortho that specializes in spinal stenosis, spine trauma, cervical spine, and adult scoliosis.

    I'm surprised that no ortho's in your area do anything spine related. Have you checked all of them? Unless, maybe are you in a smaller, rural area where there's not many doctors? Otherwise it might be best if you can travel somehow to one. You might want to call your local hospital(s) and see if any doctors there specialize in spine. Or check to see if there are any spine centers around. Or see a family doctor/general practioner and ask for a one or more referrals from them. They should know of one or more docs that do spine.

    You'll probably need to be X-ray'd and MRI'd to find out exactly where your pain is coming from, if it's due to the scoliosis or possibly even something else. I would not recommend a chiropractor for your situation. You need to find out whats going on first. I wish you luck!

    Old 07-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
    Senior Veteran
    DesertBloom's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: CA, USA
    Posts: 1,483
    DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
    Re: What kind of doctor treats scoliosis?

    Hi bjmp: I live in a rural area, where there aren't any ortho's and only one neuro that treats backs, and what they do here is refer you to the closest Univ Hosp. Univ Hosp have spine specialist or what they call "complex spine" drs and also drs that treat scoliosis. If you have a Rheumatologist in your town they may be able to give some treatment, but I would try the closest Univ Hosp. Since I don't know where you live I can't say where that would be or if there is one within driving range.

    We have 3 tertiary Hosp that are considered great but the closest is a 45 minute drive. Tertiary Hosp are the Univ Hosp that are known for the top drs who see unusual med probs, but they also take care of things like the problem you have.

    Try that and see what you can find. Good luck, I was just dx with scoliosis as well.

    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    what kind of doctor to you see for scoliosis wvw18323 Back Problems 2 02-27-2009 09:01 AM
    what kind of doctor treats vertigo? patricia Bolton Dizziness / Vertigo 8 01-09-2009 09:44 PM
    what kind of doctor treats the si joint kelly56 Back Problems 3 10-22-2008 03:00 PM
    what kind of doctor treats scoliosis shirleyassembly Back Problems 2 09-15-2008 04:45 AM
    find a physician who treats scoliosis brookes Back Problems 1 08-26-2008 08:29 AM
    who treats scoliosis whateveryou Back Problems 2 11-12-2007 08:58 AM
    what kind of doctor should you see? spriggy Fibromyalgia 3 06-06-2005 09:31 PM
    What Kind of Doc Treats Your FM PapaRoux Fibromyalgia 4 06-26-2004 01:06 PM
    What kind of dr for scoliosis and to get an MRI? Rorie Bone Disorders 4 01-18-2004 08:44 AM

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is Off
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 PM.

    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!