It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2007, 07:06 AM   #61
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

Ok any of you have the muscle spasms in the chest area? they are waking me up again in my sleep & I cannot tolererate that feeling, scares the crap out of me. Don't know what to do about it. I have heard good & bad about chiros so don't know, I got relief but it never lasted . Second person I have chated with giving chiro. a try, I hope you both get relief. Interesting to hear the results from both of you given you both are seeing the chiro. (starting off) around the same time.

Arth itis, the weather in michigan is god awful right now, I have been feeling awful for the last few days, Just think what we have to look forward to (ha). feels like oct. Lets hope we are over it for a while, we will have this weather soon enough. I sure hope I am abit better by the time for fall (hate fall), giving how slow the doctors move I doubt it. Hope we both feel better as the weather improves. Sammy

The Following User Says Thank You to sammyo1 For This Useful Post:
    viking7779 (05-19-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 08:24 AM   #62
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi , I dont have your particular symptoms, but I sometimes wonder about these MRI report results. THey don't always show everything. Plus, I always hear & read that laying down causes the least amount of pressure & compression on your spine whilst standing and sitting are the worst. But when you get an MRI, you are usually laying down. My thinking is, if your laying down and that causes less compression, then the MRI might not be seeing the full picture. It might show some disc bulges or herniations, but the report might say it's not pressing on any nerves or not enough to cause the pain you're having. But I wonder if the MRI was done while standing or sitting, if it would show something different? Perhaps when you stand or sit, the disc heriates more as to cause pain? BUt you would think that the doctors would think of this....

Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #63
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Baybreeze good point, I am at my wits end, & if you ask the doctors about the MRI's always get the same respones, such as "MRIs" are very reliable, then you hear stories how people have had them done & nothing major shows so they live in pain & years later low & behold when MRI's are done again major problems are found, who knows I am confused over it all, wonder if ct would show anything different. I just am glad to know I am not alone with these weird symtoms that are so complex. I was starting to think I was some kind of freak, so know I just feel like just a confusing mystery to the doctors, I am worried it will get to the point where they won't take me seriously, even though they can see there are problems, you know kind of give up on me. Could not imagine living like this forever. Want my life back, at least some what. Sammy

Old 08-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #64
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Went to the Chiro again this morning. He seems to think my C spine herniated disc is causing some of the pain down around my scapula. He did another myofascial release. Said the adhesions are so bad that he really cant do an adjustment in the area of my T-spine where I am having the most pain and spasms yet. Said I shouldnt be as sore as what I was last wk when he did the myofascial release. (thank goodness)

Like I said previously, I would not put too much faith in the MRI results. Sammy, have you had plain film xrays of your spine? (standing) I never thought it could give me any answers to my problems but it did. The scoliosis did not show on the MRI and that seems to be the root of my problem.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #65
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

chk, this may sound crazy but I honestly can't remember anymore, I did have an x-ray I believe on the cervical & part of the thoracic. I remember the day I went for my MRI was the best day I had in along time, & have not had one since, I thought Is this some kind of joke or something. Weird but it is true. I remember thinking gosh I hope this does not mean what ever is going on will effect the MRI(not to knowlegable on the back, disks & so forth). I have had so many confused doctors, I am so swollen in certain areas, the pt was shocked when I first went, so much pain I broke down today when I was trying to get dinner for my family, my husband said youll get better, I just said you just don't understand what it is like everday with this pain, I am trying some natural supplements now,started today I am so desperate. Terrable to feel this way, you never get use the the pain, when you think you do it gets worse, is it like this for everyone I wonder? I will try to have an optimistic outlook that is all we can do. A few on the boards trying chiros. lately let me know how you do. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 08-27-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:48 AM   #66
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Yes, I have good days & bad. I have to push myself most of the times to do the things that need to be done.
    Pretty sore & stiff this morning right between my shoulder blades from the Myofascial release yesterday I assume. He did both sides even though my pain only seems to be on the left. I am looking around for a good massage therapist.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #67
    John PhD.
    (male)

John PhD. HB User

A natural Remedy for Pain , and available at most nutrient stores is a product called "ANXIETOL 7" . It is a natural anti - anxiety and anti-depressant that also works good as a (pain/nerve blocker) , & normally sold with #60 tabs/ for around $39.99 + tax

Old 09-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #68
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Hope everyone had a good labor day weekend. always nice to be off work.

Just wanted to check in to see how you all are doing. Im still seeing the chiropractor. I go back to my Pain Mgmt Dr this week. Hoping he may have other recommendations as I cant say that I am feeling any better though the Chiro seems to know where my pain is coming from and gave me some insight as to how it originated.

BTW, I have gone 3 days without any Vicoprofen. I didnt sleep well at all and I think the pain was worse but at least I could lay down, etc when it was bad rather than how it happens when I am at work and I have to just keep working and do the best I can to deal with the pain. (which is why I end up in tears on the way home)

Last edited by CHKUEHN1; 09-04-2007 at 10:17 AM.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #69
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hello Everyone! Just dropping in to see how everyone is doing, and so sorry to hear that we all seem to still be in the same boat; with our pain and our frustration! My back, neck, side, are still giving me the same problems and pain. I finally have my rheumotoligst appointment on Friday (after waiting a month and a half to get in). He probably won't have much to say, but I want to check with him to rule out any fibermyalgia. Then, next week I go to the new back doctor; the one that went on vacation for two weeks after my first visit with him. But, I have to tell you all about my vacation last week! Went to Wildwood, N.J. for a week, and wasn't feeling real well when we left. I ended up in the emergency room with a bladder infection, our little dog got sick and we had to take him to a vet, and my sister's cap fell off of her front tooth! What a vacation! I have been having re-occuring bladder infections for some strange reason; been going on for over a month now.

I was given meds to take at the ER, came home, and then was having problems with the meds they gave me...ended up with my right leg swelling. Went to see my new family doctor (whom I like), and am now on different meds! Now he wants me to go see a uroligist! I feel like I am making a career out of going to doctors...and I know you all feel like that, also.

So, that's what has been happening with me, and I did read through all your posts to catch up with everyone. It is upsetting to hear that nobody has found any good results as of yet. I think I might try that natural remedy that John mentioned in his post. Sounds interesting.

My best to everyone, and take care; my thoughts are with you all!

Judy

Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #70
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Chab, so good to hear from you, was wondering about you. Wow what a weekend you had, wonder if any of the meds could be causing bladder infections? always heard cranberry juice (they make capsule now I believe), lots of water, which I drink so much of I am surpised I don't float away. I am very interested in what the rhuem. doctor will say to you. I did alot of volunteer work for an elderly couple I know over the week end, have not been using my left side alot, so wow am I in pain, my ribs are so sore it is unreal. could not wear drivers seatbelt for a couple days, major headaches. I have a rehab. doctor appointment sept. 10, & pretty sure I will end up at a rhuem. doctor next, so just in case I am going to make an appointment with my sisters this week, she already told me it takes forever to get in. I know how you feel going doc. to doc. Hope things get better for you, let us know what the doctor says. Sammy

Chk, gee I am so sorry to hear that your not getting relief, I hope one of us can post some good news soon, I am trying a product called celedrin with msm to see if it will help with the pain & inflammation, also using a homeopathic cream/gel Arnica it is called, I think it helps alittle, no odor or smell with it, which I like. Work is hard so I know how you feel,I have cut back drastically & not happy about it, but what can I do? I am cranky & try to avoid dealing with my poor family when I am at my worst. Maybe one us will come across something that will bring some relief. Take Care of yourself, Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 09-05-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #71
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy, thanks for the reply, and glad to hear from you as well. Yes, I have been drinking lots and lots of cranberry juice as well as water. I hardly ever drink water, which is good for you, so your doing the right thing by drinking lots of it! I would love to have a glass or two of wine, but afraid to drink that good stuff! I also wondered if what I had been taking might be causing the bladder infection, but the only things I take are vitamins, blood pressure pills, and I did try a few Celebrex, but just took a few of those. I was also using a natural spray (sprayed under the tongue) that was supposed to help with muscle and joint pain. I did stop using that, though. I have to wonder if the bladder infection is from all the stress of being in pain? I am not sure if stress could cause bladder infections or not? Sorry to hear your so sore from helping the elderly couple; which was so nice for you to do. Hope you feel better soon. You sound like me; do things one day, and pay for it the next few days. Yes, do call a rheumotoligist right away as it does take forever to get in to see one. I'll keep you posted on my visit tomorrow.

CHK...I feel so bad for you having to deal with work and pain. That has to be tough, and I can understand why you break down on the way home. I have felt like doing that also, and I don't even work. It is terrible for both you and Sammy to have to deal with all that pressure and stress. I surely couldn't do it; I can hardly get my housework done these days.

Thinking about you both, and sending my best. Take care!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #72
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi Chablis, yeah it seems us spineys are always having pain..if not constantly, then on & off... I get various pains in my spine, arthritis pain, nerve pain, muscle pain, etc. as well as in other joints too. It seemed like my rheumy thought I had lupus & fibro but now all of a sudden it seems like he doesnt know. I know how frustrating it all is.

Sorry that you ended up in the ER on your vacation, that's a bummer. But at least they found something & youre being treated for it. I get alot of bladder infections on & off too and I have to have some bladder tests done next week.

THey can be caused by bacteria for various reasons - like bacteria getting in there from the outside; holding too long before going to the bathroom; or there can be several medical conditions that cause you to not to empty your bladder completely, which causes too much urine to stay in the bladder for too long, and then bacteria can multiply b/c it's not leaving your system. And there are certain diseases that put you more at risk for getting these infections such as diabetes, kidney problems, some autoimmune diseases, some spine problems can damage nerves to the bladder....

Sometimes I get weird bladder problems but no infection is found. To me many flares i've had seem to coincide with times I have bad spine problems (heriations, stenosis, sciatica). I mentioned that to my Gyno (who is sending my for my bladder tests)..I said might it be related to my spine problems & she said it could be, but wants me to have some additional tests done. So that is good, as least she is concerned about it; unlike my rheumy, who didnt think anything of it. And ditto on feeling like I have a 2nd career visiting doctors and labs and imaging centers!

I think you probably should have the bladder issue checked out to make sure nothing else is going on.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #73
    MKA290
    (male)

MKA290 HB User

Hello fellow thoracic chest and back pain sufferers. I have just returned from *** in an effort to help identify our pain. I had a triple phase bone scan with a radioactive isotope, MRI of the thoracic spine and ct scan of the thoracic spine. Incidentally it is the seventh ct scan this year relating to my chest and thoracic spine. I have also had a full body emg. I am awaiting the results and will compare them to other tests I have had prior. I am consulting with seven prominent orthopaedic surgeons and neurosurgeons and am determined to find a gdam freaking answer to why we are all suffering the same pains with very similar diagnoses'. I will keep everyone posted and please keep me posted as well. I am a 41 year old male who is sick and tired of feeling like hell everyday. I was an avid athlete and plan on getting back to my life.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:33 AM   #74
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MKA, Oh I wish somebody would find out something,maybe it would give the rest of us a clue. My gosh I tried going without pain meds & muscle relaxer yesturday evening, never took anything in afternoon, determined to go with out it, talk about pain, laid in bed & slept.My chest/ribs,arm/shoulder & upper back& neck were killing me,could not believe the pain come on that bad not taking the meds. Sick & tired of it all, I feel like I am loosing my mind because no doctor yet has found what is wrong. Can barely lift my arm today & my ribs are so darn sore.
    Has anyone even been given a clue yet as to what this type of problem could be? Has to be something. I am not putting to much faith in these tests the doctors run any more. Honest, if they find out what it is I think I would break down & cry in relief. I am afraid to be given the wrong diagnosis. I am also afraid of moving up to stronger pain meds, that is why I tried to go without yesturday(& to try to avoid the constipation). I will be taking meds today froget that crap. I am losing alot of money with work & can't wait for someone to find out what is wrong, rehab. doc appointment monday. I always think of you all & hope one of us can find out what the heck is going on, funny all of us & no one really has to much of a clue. Has anyone found anything that really gives them relief? Good luck MKA, Sammy

Old 09-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #75
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

I went back to the pain mgmt Dr yesterday. While I was there, I was having an anxiety attack because of the pain. (of course Im diagnosing myself based on the symptoms... never had them until the past fews months) they seem to start when my pain gets bad and the spasms increase in intensity. Anyway, he agreed that it probably is anxiety. He gave me a rx for Xanax. I really dont want to get started with another drug that could be habit forming. I will give it a try when I have another bad attack and see how it works. I also dont want to take something that may make me sleepy so we will see.
    He gave me a rx for Limbrel 500mg. Its apparently a new type of anti-inflammatory that you take twice daily. You have to take it 5-7 days before it starts helping. Guess its worth a try. My PM Dr does not like to give Narcotics. I have been getting the Vicoprofen from the Dr I work for but I dont want to keep asking her for it so I hope the Limbrel helps.
    He also did a Cervical Epidural which certainly was a strange experience...different from the Thoracic Epidural that I had last month. When the dye went in to check for placement, I could feel it go to the painful area below my scapula that gives me alot of problems so hopefully we are getting close. Initially, I didnt think it could be related to my C-spine problem because I dont have pain down my arms or neck pain. Anyway, now I am optimistic that maybe we are heading in the right directions. Guess I will know in a couple of days when the steroid kicks in.

Closed Thread