It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #76
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

chk, I hope you get relief, When I went to reab. doctor to get the emg done I remember him telling me that there is a certain location in the c-spine that can give off some thoracic symptoms, I have alot of problems under the scapula area, where the emg was performed in that area stayed sore for weeks after. I will be returning to him monday, I did not know nor did he that I would be returning to him for treatment so curious to see what he says & does. I have heard bad & good about the injections so I am alittle fearful of that. What I don't understand is noone has tried any anti inflammatories with me other then motrin & celebex, I am assuming because they have tried steroids (7day pack) with no lasting effects. So I am curious to see how you do. I also wanted to tell you when my pain got uncontrollable I did have anxiety attacks, bad enough for one doc. to have me transported from her office by ems to hospital, I was told that the pain can throw all vitals off & mine were off the charts, they honestly were fearful because of my heart rate so don't be to afraid of taking the xanax, pain can do some strange things to you & not worth taking risks with other problems occurring. does not happen to often with me @ this point but when I feel my heart rate kicking up do to pain I take at least 1/2 dose of xanax or valium, which are already small doses. It does seemto calm me down, I heard xanax does not make you as tired, it does not do to bad with me.The doctor told me to control my vitals I will have to keep the pain under control. Hope it works well for you. Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #77
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Sammy and Chk and all! Went to the rheumotoligist today and was told the good news is I don't have fibermyalgia, but after reviewing the MRI of my back, he said I do have "very messed up disc's", and arthritus in my back. He said the leg cramps and bad pain and burning I am getting uncer the ribs and my side can also be from the disc's. I kind of suspected he would say that, but was glad to hear I didn't have fibermylagia. So, his advice was to definitely keep my up coming appointment with the back doctor week after next. This bit of information, after about 45 minutes in his office, cost $245.00! I sure hope my insurance pays some of it!! Just thought I would let you all know my experience today!

Baybreeze, thanks for your input on my bladder problem. I also was wondering about the connection between the back problems and the bladder infection. I went to the ER here at home last month with a 2nd flare-up, and at that time all my tests came back clear....and I was having bad pain in my back and side then, which made me wonder if one had to do with the other. I have had people say that stress can also cause bladder infections, and boy, the pain we have with our problems certainly brings lots of stress! At least your gyno said "it could be", while mine said she did't think there was a connection. I will keep my appointment with the uroligist next week just to see what he might say. Let me know how your tests turn out!

Sammi and Chk...I think it is a very good idea to take the Zanex or Valium when you get anxious. I know I wake up in the middle of the night sweating, and heart jumping around, and sometimes dizziness, and I am certain all that is anxiety. Not only from all the pain, but from the stress all of us are having trying to deal with it and the frustration. I even talk to myself and tell myself to take deep breaths and calm down!

MKA...I hope you can find something out soon as to what is going on with you, and maybe some of your findings will help us! It must be so hard for you being an athelete and not being able to persue that just now. But, keep up the good work of seeking an answer, and hopefully some day soon you'll be back to your strong, physical self. Good luck to you.

Take care everyone!
    Judy

Old 09-08-2007, 04:35 AM   #78
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hello everyone, glad to hear you have some kind of answers chab. Is he the first doctor to read your MRI results? Boy bet you took a sigh of relief when he ruled out Fibro. That has been brought up to me along with other things. I don't believe that is what it is. I will say that the Lryica has helped with the tingling & numbness for the most part, still alittle every now & then. Don't like it at all & take a very small dose. Now the actual pain on the other hand is still there. I ask my self how many things can possably cause these symptoms? I will ask the rehab. doc that on Monday. My ribs are so sore, it is the strangest thing & my upper chest is swollen it actually feels alittle hard. I am sure all the work I did this past weekend sent me back to major pain. Heck I am 42 I still want to be able to do all the things that I use to. The pain meds. are making me cranky. My sister in law is on them in florida (has cancer) funny she called & when she was telling me how she was reacting to them it was like she was describing me. Neither one of use swear alot or are moody like that , but both of us have been lately on the meds. We both hide out in our rooms so our families will not really get it. both
    our husbands are complaining about the meds. We did get a good laugh out of it we kind of ground ourselves to our rooms. Guys I am getting desperate here, please send postive thoughts & prayers my way for mondays appoinment with the rehab. doc. talk to you soon, Sammy

Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #79
    MAMMYBOJAMMY
    (female)

MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User

[FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Purple"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hello everybody. I am fairly new here and have spent most of the day reading all the pages on this post. Of course, I had to take several breaks in-between.

I cannot remember but a small portion of what I read but it seems a lot of it was the Thoracic Spine. Have any of you done a search on Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, or TOS.

I go to another board also and one of the girls on there just found out she had it. They did a C-Spine surgery on her and she is back to work...I think part time...She has low back issues also. If I can catch her online, I will ask her all I can about it and post it if I can find you guys again. As I said, I am fairly new here and still trying to learn the way the board operates..

I am also bothered in the T-Spine area, and was told in 2003 that I have a 13 degree Scoliosis with a 13 degree curvature in my spine. I also have C-Spine and L-Spine issues. I guess I could say from the neck to my tailbone! Recently my younger Sister found out she also it, but didn't know what degree. I know mine is minor, comparatively speaking.

I will be going back to my Dr. pretty soon to try and have a MRI of my entire spine. He is a new Dr. to me as mine of 25 years retired in '06. He will not give out any Narcotic meds. I am on Tramadol 50mg 4 times a day. I am going to ask him if he will increase my dose. I have been on this dose for a very long time and I think I have become intolerant to it. I am a Workers Comp (WC) case, so any med changes or MRI'S would have to be approved through them first.....hate dealing with them, but we have no choice....

I was injured in a mild fender bender while working as a Courier in 1987. It has been a very long road. I am now 61 and was approved for my SSD last year. They disabled me as of '04, so my Medicare kicked in June of this year.

I am not working and my hubby is not either. He had a stroke in '01 and is not able to work. It gets a little rough sometimes, but when the going gets tough, the tough gets going. (We have no other choice)...

I am thinking about asking my Dr. to prescribe a house cleaner for me...and WC pay for it. Have any of you ever had this done or asked your Dr. to give you a RX for it???

I also live in a Split-Foyer style house, which means I have a total of 16 stairs to come up and down daily, several times a day. I have even thought about asking for a RX for a chair lift to assist me, and WC pay for it too. That would certainly be a lot easier on me than having to pack and move..someone stick a fork in me I'm done, if I had to move...it would do me in for sure.

I am writing a book...sorry about that, but all of your posts/replies intrigued me and I could so relate to everything being said.

Do a search on the two that I listed and see if this sounds like you...also look up the words "DERMATOME CHART". That will also tell you a lot.

Will hopefully talk to y'all later. I am not on everyday, but want to keep up with some of ya.

Take care, and may God give each of you some peace and comfort.

Brenda

Last edited by MAMMYBOJAMMY; 09-08-2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #80
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Sammy; I am glad I don't have fibermylagia; I hear that is also very painful. Yes, the rheumotoligist is actually the first one to read my MRI report, as I haven't been in yet to see the new back doctor, who was the one that ordered the MRI in the first place. I actually took the film in to the rheum. guy; they gave me my film at the MRI place. I tried taking Lyrica...the neuoroligist I had been going to for eridural shots/trigger point injections perscribed it. I didn't like it at all because it made me dizzy. When I get a side effect like that, I won't take it because it scares me. I don't like that dizzy feeling! My hands were getting numb and tingly back then, and that is why the neuroligist perscribed it. So yes, it should help you with that part, but not the pain. If you can tolerate it, it would probably be good for you to take it. I wonder why your ribs are sore, and also the swelling in your chest area. Do you think you might have pulled a muscle when you were doing all that work over the week-end? I hope not; that's all you need on top of everything else!

I am so sorry to hear your sister-in-law has cancer. I lost my adopted grandaughter last year (21) to brain cancer. It is very upsetting to me when I hear of someone having cancer. I wish your sister-in-law well and I will pray for her. Oh yes, those pain meds can make a person cranky, and I don't blame you for hiding in your room! I do that sometimes, and I also don't feel like talking to people at times. The rheumotoligist asked me if I find myself getting tired and depressed......of course my answer was a big YES!

I hope you are taking it easy this week-end, and not doing much work! You need to rest up and realx a bit. Have a good week-end, and I will be thinking about you!

Judy

Old 09-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #81
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hello Mammy and nice to meet you! I read your post and am going to look up the thorasic spine/dermatome chart, both. Seems like your also having the same issues we all are with our back problems. I don't know at this time exactly which disc's are giving me trouble; I have to go back to the doctor that ordered my MRI to get a full explanation. All I know is my lower back hurts like heck, and I get leg cramps and achy legs.

I am sorry to hear both you and hubby are having trouble and hope it improves soon for you both. Oh, that would be so nice if you could get someone to come in and clean. I hate not being able to do my housework the way I used to. I can still do light stuff, but I always liked to tear things apart when I cleaned and move things around. Those days are over! I hope your WC pays for some help, as well as a chair lift. I have a rancher house, all on one floor, and I sure am glad for that. I can't climb stairs very well. My daughter has a split level home, and I haven't been in her upstairs for two years! My hubby was talking about moving just the other day, and I would love to, but there is no way I could pack things in this house and then re-arrange another house! 10 years ago I could, but not now!

I have neck problems also, and along with the back thing, I know what you mean about the "neck to tailbone thing!" I can tolerate my neck pain, but the back just does me in. Keep us posted here on anything you might find; there are good people here and we are all interested in anything new and informative.

Take care, Brenda, and visit again. It was nice reading your post. My best to you and hubby!

Judy

Old 09-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #82
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Good morning everyone.

Just checking in to see how you all are doing. Im pretty sore this morning but its my own fault. My husband works for Honda and yesterday the company rented 6 flags for the employees and their families. All the walking about killed me. My kids kept asking me to ride some rides with them and I finally gave in and did it. I thought.....geez, Im 44 and this just isnt right that I can no longer do these things with my kids. It didnt hurt immediately afterwards but later in the day when we went to the waterpark area, I didnt have a place to sit except on the curb. I just couldnt stand to be on my feet any longer. I started feeling anxious and the pain was getting to me so I had to take a vicoprofen to make it through the rest of the evening. Thank goodness I took them with me. My kids had a blast and I dont regret riding the rides with them at all. Wont be too much longer until they will be grown. I think the walking was what got to me the worst. My lower legs are really sore and also my mid back but I dont think my back is any worse than normal. The worst area in my back is about the level of my bra strap and it radiates around to the front rib area. They are sore to the touch as well as my sternum.
    Not sure if the cervical epidural helped. I dont think I am having the spasms at my upper back as bad.
    Anyway, I am thinking about getting a tens unit to try. The PM Dr said it may help. After that, not sure which way to go. He said he dont know what else to do if the epidural doesnt help.

Hope you all have a great day!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #83
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Welcome mammy, wow you got your hands full, will add you to the list of others to keep in my prayers (with your permission). Thoracic outlet has been brought up but at this point ruled out for me.
    Over worked again this week end so got the whole pain in ribs/chest, back,arm & neck going on, would love to eliminate one by one off my list.
    Any of you experiance numbness in the face at all, my bottom lip & chin feel numb at times, had all the cardiac tests done. This really occurs when the pain & inflammation get bad, especially in the upper chest & neck area. Doctor (primary) just looks at me like I am crazy, but hey I know my body, I am in alot of pain today, so i believe along with inflammation comes the chin/lip problem. No anti infammatory but motrin @ this time & lots of ice.
    What does it feel like to get a bra on, I can't even remember, still feel naked, especially in church (ha). Rehab, doc tommorrow, we will see what happens, really kind of afraid to get my hopes up. Please let me know if any of you have any of the facial thing going on, I also noted neck cracking like crazy last couple of weeks. Thanks guys, Sammy

Old 09-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #84
    MAMMYBOJAMMY
    (female)

MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User
    Sammy

Thank you Sammy and please do include me and hubby in your prayers. Prayer is the most powerful thing we have, and I have seen it be answered a thousand times in my life, so I know it does work.

I hope they will be able to figure out what is wrong with you too. No one has any idea the pain we all go through every day....including most of our family.

I am lucky that I have a very understanding husband and when I have the flare-ups from Hades, he is always there for me, waiting on me hand and foot.

Talk to ya later and I hope today is better than yesterday.
    Brenda

Old 09-10-2007, 04:34 AM   #85
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Sammy

Thanks mammy, big doc. appointment today, have feeling more tests. I just don't want him looking @ me shaking his head like Gee I don't know. Your are indeed blessed with your husband. That is true love. I know when my sister in law was diagnosed with cancer a few month ago she said her husband never left her side while she was in the hospital, only to go to work. She said she never realized how much he loved her, she said she was blessed to have him. When you are in this kind a position it tests your love. I know I feel guiltly being only 42 & holding us back with enjoying certain things & being able to work more. I pray I can get that back. I feel for everyone here, some of us are somewhat of a medical mystery, the hardest thing is not knowing. I don't want them slapping a name on it because they don't know what is truely wrong. Being misdianosed is not going to help the real problem. Please pray for me also. Sammy

Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #86
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hello Everyone! Yea...I made a phone call this morning and got the back rehab place to see me tomorrow instead of next week! I complained a heck of a lot to the receptionist and she fit me in!

CHK, sorry to hear you got so sore from your day at 6 Flags. That is so frustrating when you go someplace like that and can't fully enjoy yourself because you know your going to pay for it later. I am sure your kids enjoyed you getting on some rides with them, though. I have had a few cervical epidurals in the past, and even though they didn't take the pain away completely, they did ease it. I have a tens machine I borrowed from my sister, and I find it also helps a little. Sometimes I put the patches on and walk around with it on while I am doing housework. You might like one; I think it helps somewhat.

Sammy...how did your doctors appointment go today? Hope it went well. Let us know! I don't have any numbness in the chin or lip area, but I do have constant ringing in my ears stemming from my neck problem. I also get weird headaches; almost like a brain freeze problem like you get from drinking something real cold. I know all that is from my disc's in the neck, and I bet the numbness you get is from your neck. I have the cracking too when I turn my head back and forth. I didn't do a thing this week-end except sit and watch football games; thought I would take it easy and maybe my back wouldn't hurt as much.......didn't work...still hurt that night when I went to bed.

I did look up that Dermatome chart that Mammy mentioned. It was very interesting. I can see why when a person has back problems, it can affect a whole bunch of other areas as well. Looking at all those nerves that jut out from the spinal column explains why we seem to hurt in so many different areas. Thanks, Mammy, the site was informative!

Hope everyone has a good day today!

Judy

Old 09-11-2007, 05:07 AM   #87
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ok everyone where do I start, My frustation level is up so high, First of all little baby steps again from this doc. Another test,wow surprise. & then wait 2 wks to get back in. He asked do you think It is coming from the neck or the back? How the heck do I know, since most of the time it all hurts. He did the making me move the neck & arms all over, then grabbed my left arm & held it up,PAIN, then proceded to push on my back, more pain. Of course I know he has to do this,but I don't have to like it. He said the muscles in the scapula area are in knots, & of course there is a heck of alot of inflammation. Then the same thing every single doctor has said "where there is inflammtion there is pain" which of course I already knew. So of course PT may be in my future again because have to try to get inflammation down. Interesting thing he said was acupuncture may be best for me because so inflammed pt never worked before. Also said he wants to be exact on the area to focus on So a ct of the chest area is next,chest area is really inflammed also.

so ok what exactly does a ct show? anyone know, may have to post a new thread. My husband was furious because he said took you a month to get in now another 2 wks for follow up & all this time your in pain & living on pills. Why does he not start some kind of therapy now? Told my husband I have no clue in to much pain when I left to ask, said keep icing & moist heat.

I was not quite with it (the Lryica I think) & the docter did get frustated with me because I was he*****t to move my neck & arm fully, I had such a headache yesturday & my arm hurt so bad. Where are the good patient doctors? once again the results from the other doc. was not faxed over even though they had a month to do it. He also did not totally agree with last doc. so back to square one. All I know is what I went in knowing,besides all the nice little knoted muscles in my back. I knew not to get my hopes up. So my life continues to be on hold. Really frustating. Hard to stay positve at times. My patience is at the end I think, my husbands is really at the end. I swear I thought he was angry with me, I told him if he is this frustated imagine how I feel, after all I am the one in pain. Sorry guys so long, had to vent alittle. Sammy

Old 09-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #88
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Sammy, as I read your post I could truly understand where you are coming from as I feel the exact same way.
    I have been trying to read all I can online about our symptoms hoping to come across an answer. I did some research on TOS and noticed that some of the symptoms are similiar to mine but not alot. When I raise my arms above my head, my arms will tingle and feel numbish. I also remembered this morning about something that used to happen when I first started having problems but forgot about it. I used to lean over my vanity to put my make-up on and when I tilted my head to the back, my head/face & arms would tingle and it almost felt like I couldnt breathe. I started sitting down to put on my make-up so as not to put myself in that position and forgot about it. I have the same feeling when I go to the salon and they wash my hair. When I lean my head back into the bowl, my left arm would tingle and go numb. So I now get dry haircuts. Anyone else had this problem?
    I forgot to tell you that I tried taking a Xanax last Fri for the anxiety. I was expecting it to just make me feel relaxed but instead it knocked me out. I fell asleep as soon as I got home from work. I even felt alittle "drunk" the next morning. Guess I should have only taken half.

On a more personal note for you girls.... I think alot of my problem is a result of poor posture. I had a breast augmentation about 13 yrs ago and it took a long time to adjust to the extra weight up front. I have a small frame (5'4" 130 lbs) and in the yrs since then (and 2 babies later) I have gained an extra 15 lbs since I had the surgery so they are bigger. I have wondered if I had a reduction/lift to make them smaller again if it would help with my back & neck. Sometimes I wonder if the implants could possibly play a role in my problems. I have been grasping for SOMETHING to explain why I feel this way.

Sammy, I dont know that much about accupuncture. I had it done a couple of wks ago and it didnt help. Not sure if you would need to do it multiple times or what to benefit. I only had it once.

As I sit here now, my heart is starting to pound and I can feel the tension growing in my back. I try to calm myself taking deep breaths, etc but it doesnt seem to make much difference. Yesterday I went into my xray room at work and laid down on the tile floor. When I lay flat on a hard surface, it seems to help alittle but how can you do that and work? SO FRUSTRATING!!

Anyway, guess I better get busy. Have a good day!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #89
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Been doing alittle more research. I was wondering if any of you have ruled out ankylosing spondylitis?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #90
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

chk, I had done the research on TOS also, because x-rays did not show anything it was ruled out. It is so weird you have many of the same symptoms I have, I will get the tingling & numbness when my arm is raised above my head for any length of time. It used to be really bad, the only difference now is it is just plain out painful. the heart racing or pounding is something that scares me, I will get that I have noticed when I am in alot of pain of course that is when there is alot of swelling. I never take a whole anything for anxiety, I always half it or quarter it depending on the dosage.(alittle afraid of side effects). But it beats the pounding & racing heart. Has anything ever been mentioned about your mucsles? Such as inflammation in a certain area? I have a simulair feeling at time when I bend my neck a certain way. My sister in law told me yesturday her friend who has has numerous back surgeries goes for theraputic massage, said it really helps relax the mucsles. That sounds better then acupuncture to me.
    I broke down & asked my boss for a office positon if one opens up, never thought I would do that. I just don't know how long I will not be able to do any major work. Depressing, so I know how you feel. I just want to get better, but don't we all. I forget all the little symptoms I have had over time. I do know I just plain am loosing faith in the doctors anymore. they can see the symptoms but I feel because I am a harder case as far as finding out what is really wrong they just pass me along & don't take the time to really look into it. If they only realized how much it hurts & is ruining my life. I just don't know anymore. this doctor asked me some strange questions,like is this impacting my famillies financial stability? I told him my husband has to go for radiation so I want to be able to contribute more, take some pressure off him. What a stupid question & what does that have to do with my pain & problem? What have you been told by the doctors you have seen? Talk to you soon & hang in there. Sammy

Closed Thread