It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #106
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

Norene, since this seems to be a rare thing it is good to have someone elses input. I ice like you would not believe, tried celebrex in the past couple times, no help there. Do you swell in the upper chest area also or in the upper torso at all? My ribs are so bad, but for me when one area swells so does the other. so I have to ice it all. I will look up the ankylosing spondylitis, & see if anything in my MRI report mentions it to, can't remember. also does physical work set it off at all? Please excuse me for picking your brain alittle here. Mine is getting worse,my whole chest area is burning lately & the mucsle spasms are drivng me crazy. Hope to hear from you soon, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #107
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Sammy, I dont think an MRI would mention ankylosing spondylitis. I believe it would take more than an MRI to diagnose that condition; though it would give clues. I think I mentioned ankylosing spondylosis previously in this thread as it went along with alot of the symptoms some are experiencing here. Do a search on it and see. Also ask your Dr about it. I had my Dr order some blood tests a couple of wks ago. I had a CBC, Sedimentation Rate, C- Reactive Protein and HLA B27. I had been searching the internet to see if any blood tests could help diagnose my problem and found this:

"HLA B27: Your doctor may order this test if you have joint pain, stiffness, and swelling. HLA type B27 is associated with autoimmune diseases such as ankylosing spondylitis and Reiter syndrome. The test may be done along with other tests, including an ESR, C-reactive protein, and rheumatoid factor."

All of my test results were fine. (thankfully)

I have felt better the past couple of days. I am still seeing the Chiropractor and having the (non surgical) Cervical Decompression. I think its helping. Im not having so much rib pain, tingling, etc and not as many spasms in my upper back. He has also been adjusting my neck. He (and the PM Dr) believe my problem is more related to my C spine problem at C 5-6 & C 6-7 causing symptoms in my upper back radiating around to my ribs on the left side.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #108
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chk, you probably did mention the anky. Spon. issue, my memory right now is awful. BAD day, chest & ribs in major spams & swollen like you would not believe. I am taking someone with me monday perhaps the rehab. doc will be alittle more patient with me if someone is there, don't want him snapping at me like last time because I cant move my arm & neck as fast as he thinks I should or as much. I am afraid, I have to ask for refills on my meds, every doctor gives me a hard time. I am taking the bottles in to show him I do not abuse them. God knows I hate the stuff, but with out it I could not make it. I was in tears & shaking by the time I got to work this morning. I honestly am tired of all this. The chest pain is getting to me. I will write down questions as always & hope I can have time to ask them or be able to get them out of my mouth before he interrupts, that is why I just feel it may be better to take some one with me. I have lost faith in doctors. I have been praying some thing will be found or at least done for me. No way can I up my hours at work so I know I am in trouble when I tell them next week. Wish me luck! Sammy

Old 09-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #109
    Norene Maher
    (female)

Norene Maher HB User

Hi Sammy, I have had 5 MRI's for Ankylosing Spondylitis. I thought I was going crazy. One doctor told me it was hormones. The swelling is in the upper chest and ribs extending to my left shoulder and spine. I feel so much better when I ice and exercise helps me. I go to the gym in the morning, power walk in afternoon and run with my 6 year old riding her bike. I am exhausted at night and can not sleep very much but I kiss my coffee mug every morning.
    I was tested for B27 gene which came back positive.
    I hope this helps , Talk to you soon
    Norene
    I see my doctor in November and have to decide on this drug called Remecade (it is supposed to delay my disease)

Last edited by Norene Maher; 09-21-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:26 AM   #110
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Norene, wow sounds like you swell up like me, what is the B-27 gene, and is what your speaking of hard to diganos? Because I'll tell you I have been doctor to doctor, the last couple days have been miserable, I am so swollen I could not get my dress off last night, my husband pulled it over my head by time he got it off I was in tears. I heard a crack in my scapula area thursday evening while changing the sheets on my bed, every since then the pain is out of this world, Same thing happened last week, heard a cracking or snapping sound same area that day the pain was unbearable. Does that ever happen to you? I have had it in the neck, I told my rehab. doc last visit about the neck & he said it was because I am so inflammed, all the pressure. Well what ever is going on it is getting worse. I swear I could feel the swelling all way up to my collarbone & even the right side by my scapula was hurting, that never happens. It hurts to breath, I am getting sharp searing pains in the chest area. Like knife pains, I know I am about as inflammed As I have ever been. My movement of the left side with the shoulder area is extremely limited when I am swollen up bad. I'll tell you if this pain gets any worse not so sure I can handle it. I don't know how to get through to these doctors how painful it is. They can see some of it, but I am going to tell him it is getting out of control. My ribs feel huge. Weird feeling. Thanks so much for the info. Exactly how were you diagnosed & by what doctor? Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 09-22-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #111
    Norene Maher
    (female)

Norene Maher HB User

Sammy,
    I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. I made my GP test for the B27 gene and RA and Osteo at the same time(its a blood test). My GP did not want to do this test saying there is no way I would have this disease. My father had it and my brother has it. When it came back positive I knew I had AS. When you have a positive B27 gene with the presence of arthritis, you can pretty much assume you have AS. I had 5 MRI's, over two years with Dr. Silverberg at Etobicoke Hospital in Toronto, Canada. It is difficult to diagnose in women because our symptoms are all over the map. The info on this disease is not current and most of the info on AS is not quite accurate. MY GP refused to believe I had this disease because I was to old and a women. I think 38 is young.The AS was probably dormate until I had a serious bacterial infection which brought it on. When they finally told me for sure that I have AS, and it was not in my head I was relieved. I studied AS and truly believe knowledge is power. Keep up with the good fight they will find out what is wrong. Do you have any breathing problems. I was diagnosed with Asthma with this disease. I tell the doctor's now ( bring it on)
    Norene
    The B27 gene is nasty, it brings in other problems like gastoral intestinal problems(the burning in the chest), colitis. crohn's and IBS. My husband has crohn's disease. Also we avoid the deadly nightshade plants. Potatoes, peppers, eggplants, tomatoes cause inflammation.

Last edited by Norene Maher; 09-22-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:28 AM   #112
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

norene, indeed I do have asthma & reflux/gerd. As you know that is fun.
    I ended up in urgent care with the pain it was just to much & causing pain to spread to other areas, hurt to breath. Sat there in tears as the doc. tried everything to get me relief & the swelling down. Put me on double dose naproxen, he said have to try to swelling down along with steroid injection & pack. Have not tried naproxen in years never helped me much but I will give it atry, also put me in a sling in hopes that limiting the movement of the arm/shoulder will help the inflammation go down. of course I have to exercise it tree times aday. He said I should have been put into pain management due this kind of pain, & an MRI of the shoulder area should have been done to see if something is up in that area. So we will see what the doc. says tommorrow. Not holding my breath, But am going to give him a push, can't take this anymore. Even the doc. & his staff was amazed this is taking so long with this much inflamm. & pain. I was so swollen my chest wall was hard & my ribs felt huge. I am getting worried about how long this is all taking, my breathing is being effected & the pain is moving to right side, I know it is because I am so swollen. I pray something is done tommorrow to try to get to the bottem, watch him pass me along to the next doc. wish me luck, sammy

Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #113
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Good luck at the Dr, Sammy. You need to let them know how seriously miserable you are and how it is affecting your life. Ask them to order the blood tests. They pretty much have to do it if you request it. I have worked in the medical field for 25 yrs and I know from experience that you sometimes have to press them to be aggressive and that exactly what you need.... aggressiveness. Dont wait for them to make a suggestion; do all the research you can based on your symptoms and ask for diagnostic tests for any conditions that go along with the symptoms you are having. I really think you have AS.
    Let us know how your appt goes.

Norene, are you supposed to get the Remecade via IV? I had a friend who had a bad case of Crohns disease and she was treated with Remecade by IV. It made her really sick each time she was treated but was her only option at that point. How are they treating you right now?

Good luck Girls!
    Cindy

Old 09-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #114
    Norene Maher
    (female)

Norene Maher HB User

Hi Chk, I am currently taking celebrex which isn't doing what it should. It will be by injections if I decide to take Remecade. My doctor gave me six months to research it and I have to answer him November 13. There is some scarey side effects but they are rare. It is supposed to stop/delay AS.
    Hope you are well.
    Norene (Canada eh!)

Sammy, don't give up, make the doctor take the blood test for the B27 gene. Go swimming as much as you can in warmer water, it is the only place I was pain free.

Last edited by Norene Maher; 09-23-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:49 AM   #115
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thanks guys, off to the doc. today. the pain under my left breast woke me up this morning. I did not want to get out of the bed. Got to go to work to.
    Using one hand this morning, I think I have reached my limit. I have no choice but to give the doc a push. Had to talk my husband out of going with me, he is so upset, he wants something done now. He said he cant take seeing me in this pain any more. I am alittle worried that this doc. will drag his feet. At this point I am barely hanging on to my job, not to mention being able to control this pain. If today does not convince this doc. to do something fast then I am at the wrong doctors, because honestly I can't take it anymore. If it was not for the understanding I get on these boards I would go crazy from all this pain & dealing with these docs. The doctors just get me more confused. I know I want this shoulder looked at more closely, what ever happened last week with the snapping in the scapula/shoulder area has sent this problem raging out of control. talk to you later wish me luck with this doc. sammy

Old 09-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #116
    Norene Maher
    (female)

Norene Maher HB User

How did it go today?
    I had a bad day today and was emotionally tired. Its hard to keep a happy face.
    Norene

I shocked my neighbour today with a big hug. She was canvassing the street for donations for Arthritis.

Last edited by Norene Maher; 09-24-2007 at 05:23 PM.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 AM   #117
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Sammy....... just wanted to check in to see how the Dr appt went.
    Hope you were able to get some answers!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #118
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

chk & all, Doc. appointment with Rehab. as expected another test, although I will tell you I took someone with me & I do believe that got me alittle more time & patience. I definantly encourage everyone to keep close eye on their docs. He has asked me every time I went in if an MRI was done of the thoracic area, & he has the answers right in the file. Also I filled out the same papers every time I go in so put down on same meds with exception of what urgent care put me on, well he had to refill pain meds, I took them along to show him I do not abuse or over use them (big concern with docs). So he refilled them with no problem, but then he assumed I was only on those meds, yet on the form I put still on other meds. also, I heard him talking into his recorder listing the meds, don't get why the docs. don't go over the charts before coming or while in the room. I did tell him I have had it with the pain, period. Pain is way out of control after the snapping/popping deal. So going for another MRI this week looking for torn mucsles. After this he said he does not know what to do. Funny thing he keeps asking me if I feel anxiety over anything, well duh! with this pain & the way it is taking over my life I would think that would be normal, was even told that be primary doc. Next visit I am asking him what that has to do with this problem. He knows there is alot of inflammation so I just don't get it. I will tell you all I had a good cry after leaving his office, if nothing shows in this next MRI I am back to square one, & guys this pain is unreal. My job is just hanging by a thread, living in Michigan you do not want to loose your job. There is another test they could do but he said he feels it would be to painful for me, I even told him I would go through it just to find out what is wrong in there but he said no, he thought I would not be able to handle it. So back on steroids for a week (4rth time since may) they won't work, but he said even if it gives me a couple days of relief. This is the second doctor who I have noticed did not refer to the chart & that bothers me when it comes to meds. I will bring it up next monday when I return. He was frustrated, he needs to consider how frustrated I am over all this. I have heard many things about tests not showing everything & so forth I don't know what to think anymore, but with this pain I am at the end of my rope, honestly, so inflamed it hurts to breathe & my breast feels like it is sitting on a shelf my ribs are so swollen. Has to be something in there. Thanks guys, had to vent alittle. Sammy

Old 09-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #119
    CHKUEHN1
    (female)

CHKUEHN1 HB User

Sammy,
    Did you ask him about AS and request the blood work?

Maybe you should find another Dr. You need to have confidence in your Dr.

Most Dr's will review part of your chart but if you have a significant file, it would take too much time to review the entire chart. So they will ask you questions to save some time rather than searching thru the chart.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #120
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I looked up the AS it just does not seem to be to symptomatic of my problem, but am keeping it tucked away & will bring it up next visit if nothing shows in MRI, as for blood work I was already told that if more was done it would be done by a rheum. doc. which they have not referred me to as of yet. Everytime I bring something up he kind of shoots it down I am trying to be patient but I think he knows I am running out of patience. So I am saving alot for when this next MRI is done, may sound funny but I have discovered if I go in there & throw to much at him he tends to tune me out. So we will see, my chart is not that long I would not think, given the fact he only has what has come from the ortho. surgeon. He leaves this office I see him at & goes right to another, so I honestly believe he is always in abit of a hurry. Besides as I learned in MA class the current paper work is attatched in the very front of chart, so the form I fiiled out last would be right there when he opens the chart. I will try to give him ample time to do his thing, but if he says he is at a lose I will tell him I need to see a doc. who can look into my problem alittle deeper, such as a rhuem. doc. I just pray the MRI shows something, that would be a blessing right there. At least it would be a start to getting the proper treatment. It is hard finding a doc. that you have total confidence in, & because they all work with in one hospital it is harder, if I have to go to a rhuem. I will step outside of that & go to the one recommended to me by my sister, then at least he will know my family history & so forth. I greatly appreciate all the info. here & always keep it in mind, you just never know. I am learning that with these kind of symptoms it can be difficult to diaganos, unless it shows that it is coming right from the thoracic area. Mine have evolved & gotten worse over time, & I truely am angry @ the first docs. I went to a couple years ago for not taking this more serious, not one test was done then, I let them get away with it because I could not understand what was happening, got depressed for awhile & just gave into what the docs. told me. If only I knew then what I know now. I hope with this post we may be able to help out those who have some of the same going on, as I said these symptoms seem to challenge the doctors. I feel so bad for anyone walking in these shoes. Sammy

Closed Thread