HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/520573-seeking-ideas-burning-sensation-chest-upper-back-area.html)

sammyo1 09-27-2007 05:50 AM

Re: Seeking Ideas on Burning Sensation; Chest/Upper Back Area

norene, ran across a post here shoulder pain posted by sharmabob, he has AS. Don't know if you seen it but I put a quick reply that you also have AS & perhaps you could offer some advice or just share what ever you can. As I replied befor I will be bringing this up to my doc. in future visit, have MRI this evening & have been praying something is found. If you can take a peek at the shoulder post, we all know how just understanding of being in someone elses shoes can help. By the way what a wonderful thing you did with that hug, & yes this all can be exhausting, can't wait to wake up one morning & smile @ the world painfree, how wonderful that would be, even 1/2 the pain gone would be great. I wish I could bring you all to my next doc. appointment, the guy would faint. Sammy

Norene Maher 09-27-2007 08:29 AM

Sammy, I would be happy to go. I am only across the lake
Norene

chablis3 09-27-2007 11:26 AM

Hi Everyone! Just finished reading everyone's posts, and makes me feel bad that nobody has gotten any relief or answers yet. I am at my wits end with my pain and just about ready to go see a surgeon and see what can be done. The steroid shot didn't do anything, and I don't think I am going to even try having another one. I am pretty convinced the second one won't do anything either. I am also going back to my original neurologist on Monday to talk to him and see what he thinks about an operation. I am scared to death of having an operation, but I just am so tired of shots, pills, etc., as nothing has helped me. Was reading on the net about some spine institutes where they do "mimimal invasive surgery" for herniated discs. Small incision, and less pain and trauma. Just wondering if all I read is really true!!

My thoughts are with you all.

Judy

sammyo1 09-27-2007 01:43 PM

Thanks norene your a sweetie, chab, I hate to say this but if they told me I needed surgery tommorrow to get rid of this I would say I will go pack meet you there, not even kidding, perhaps I am wrong but heck that is where I am right now, waited to get into shower cause I knew I would be in more pain from moving around, I can understand your concerns & it would be a difficult decision to make, but what can you do? Sounds like you are doing everything you can & research for any future decisions, the docs. should be able to discuss any knowledge on surgical procedures with you. Scary anyway. Heck up till now I hated to go to the dentist, heck that is nothing. As always I wish the best of luck with what ever you choose, MRI time coming up this eveing, just want something, anything to show so I can get on a road to feeling better (I hope). Fighting off the blues before my husband gets home, I try hard to have my pity parties before dealing with my family. funny my friend called today & said she did not realize how bad this has gotten, I just broke down & told her I am tired of dealing with pain all day long. Just plain tired of it. Shame on me there are those worse off but I envy those who can just get up & live their lives. I hope we all have that in our futures. Sammy

chablis3 09-27-2007 03:56 PM

Sammy, nice to hear from you, and yes...I have said the exact same thing...if I could go have surgery tomorow, I would be there bright and early! In fact, I say that to myself every night while I am tossing and turning in bed. Seems like nights are the worse, and when I first get up in the morning. After I move around a bit, and get my shower, I loosen up a little, but never get rid of the pain completely. Having surgery is really a very hard decision, and from what I have read, some people end up not getting any relief anyway....so, that makes a decision even harder. But, at this point, I really don't know what else to do. I understand what you mean about "pity parties", and I think all of us on here should have them...we deserve them! I think my hubby is getting disgusted with me because I don't want to go anyplace. I want to.....just can't! But, I hope you find something out tonight when you have the MRI..that should show what is going on with you.
Please post as soon as you know something.

Meantime, take care, and know that I, as well, as others, are thinking of you and sharing in your frustration. Good luck to you.

Judy

sammyo1 09-28-2007 05:21 AM

chab, I am glad I am not the only one who goes through that with the husband, mine to. Makes me feel guilty, but I am not much fun right now. Well went for MRI & was told when I arrived only one area on script from doc. was approved, they said someone should have called me. Talk about being mad! If nothing shows in the area done I am back to waiting, & since the inflammation/pain is in all the areas I can only hope the problem shows in the shoulder area the insuance approved for the mri. Up in the night could not move my neck or arm, my husband could not touch my back aroud the scapula area this morning, all those areas were suppose to be in the mri, including the chest, which is so inflammed it is hard like a rock. The tech.doing the mri had to weight my hand down with a bean bag went into muscle spasms when I laid down & he was afraid the arm would move during the test. Big fun! So I am praying what ever the problem is shows up in the area that the insurance company(that we pay so much for) allowed the mri on. So please everyone wish me luck. Sammy

CHKUEHN1 09-28-2007 06:21 AM

Sammy, Not sure which MRI locations were ordered that the Insurance co wouldnt approve but it all has to do with the diagnosis on the prior authorization sent to your insurance co. With all of the upper body symptoms you are having, I cant imagine that they wouldnt authorize it. I would ask the Dr what diagnosis they used. I had no problem getting any of my MRI's approved. They should try it again with more info and multiple diagnosis's.

Let us know when you hear something.

sammyo1 09-29-2007 06:04 AM

chk, the facility told me they are seeing this more & more, where the insurance co. wants to have one area done first, then if nothing shows there they usually approve an MRI in the other areas. Stupid, it just wastes time, a problem in one area can cause pain in another, with out looking at all areas where the pain/inflammation exist it can be hard to find the where the actual problem lies. This doc. wants to look at the back scapula area, shoulder & chest(pec. muscle region), small enough area, a problem in any of these areas can cause pain &inflammation in the others. The facility should have called me before the test, I specifically asked them to if they had any problems, thats what makes me so angry. They will be calling to let me know what the insurance co. said & I will be asking if they notified the doctor when the insurance denied part of the MRI, I have seen more & more neglagence lately with medical facilities, you can understand one or even a couple, but heck it is becoming a regular occurance. So we will see what is said. Thanks guys for all you advice & understanding. Sammy

Norene Maher 09-29-2007 12:49 PM

Hi Ladies, Hope everyone is well (as can be). Sammy I did respond to the gentlemen but have not heard back. I did not have any sleep last night, my body does not like to stop moving. Even with the lack of sleep I am very excited to have friends coming over tonight for food and drinks.
Take care
Norene

chablis3 09-29-2007 01:09 PM

Hi Everyone..I am going to start a new post as this one is getting very long. I hope you all will follow the new post. I read the rules and from what I understood, a post shouldn't have too many threads. So, hope you all will seek out the new post.

Thanks!

M0ther0f2 04-25-2010 02:33 AM

[QUOTE=chablis3;3125769]I am hoping to get some advice and input concerning my problem. I have been experiencing a burning type pain under the breast area and also in the upper back area. I am wondering if this could be caused from bad discs in the back? I have had MRI's, epidural shots, Cat Scans, and nothing could be found. My neurologist says it might be "nerve pain." I have had two series of epidural shots, which haven't helped much. I can't seem to get a decent explanation as to what "nerve pain" is, and what might have caused it. All my neurologist says is it could be a touch of fibermylagia.....as well as nerve pain. I am confused, disgusted, and at my wits end! Has anyone else had this type of pain? I would appreciate any advice and thoughts, as I don't know if I should be seeking another type of doctor, and if so, what kind of doctor? Thanks so much for reading my post, and I will welcome some advice.[/QUOTE]

I would.. b4 my first heart attack, my left shoulder was KILLING me.. they said this n that, nerve pain etc.. i would go and get it checked out by a cardiologist :) to be on the safe side :)