It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Keloid Scar After Spinal Fusion...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
    lhodge
    (female)

lhodge HB User
    Keloid Scar After Spinal Fusion...

Hi Guys,

I am nearly 6 weeks post op for spinal fusion at L4/5 and stabilisation at L3/4 & L2/3. I have just seen my surgeon who says that I have a keloid scar. The top part of my scar looks like a normal scar but the bottom part looks like its pulled and looks red. The surgeon is not worried (obviously , its not his body!) but I am, will it ever heal properly? Will it always look like this? Has anyone else ever had this? Vanity has stepped in and I don't like it. I would love to hear from anyone...

Hodgey
    xxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
    Re: Keloid Scar After Spinal Fusion...

Hi Hodgey,

I hope someone else who has had this will surface for you. I was curious about it, as I wasn't familiar with it, so I did a little online sleuthing. Apparently, it's a genetic thing, as well as ethnic. It's more common in people with darker skin, although light skin can also be susceptible, and you're more likely to have it if it's in the family. There's not a whole lot that can be done. Laser techniques may help, but it often comes back. If I were you, I think I'd go to a dermatologist and ask questions. He's probably the best source to turn to for help on a keloid scar. If anything can help it, he'd know.

I'm sorry to hear of this development, but try to keep it in perspective, sweetie. Unless you like to dress in really skimpy clothing, no one will normally see it. If you do like to wear more revealing clothes, you can come up with some great lines for anyone who's enough of a clod to mention it ("oh, it's a scar left over from my interrogation when I was captured by Guatemalan* secret police when I was working undercover there," or "scar, I don't have a scar, what are you talking about?," etc.). That scar will make no difference to anyone who cares about you! With my deformities from my scoliosis, believe me, I understand how it feels to not look "normal." But you can deal with it! It's really not that big an issue. A lot of it is going to be just getting used to the idea of having that unusual scar. It'll be okay! And, again, don't give up. Ask a dermatologist and you might get a solution.

You take care! I'd be interested in hearing about whatever possible solutions you find.

Blessings,
    Emily

*No offense to anyone from Guatemala. I just picked a place at random.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi Hodgey: Sorry about the keloid, this type of scarring runs in my family so I know what you're talking about. Has the dr mentioned any type of topical treatment for it. Vitamin e oil can help some but it won't get rid of the large raised areas.

I would give it some time, because most scars reduce in size and shape after they have completely healed. You could do what Emily mentioned and see a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon and see what they say.

My brother had a bad scar on his hand from getting it caught in some machinery and he did go to a plastic surgeon to have it repaired, but it didn't help much. His was keloid and they recut it to try an reshape it, but it wasn't a great success. Maybe now they have better techniques, his was done a long time ago, and my mother had a similar situation but she decided to leave it alone.

I would hold off for a while and if it still bothers you, you could see someone about it. Just remember that scars change drastically over time and usually look much better in the end once they've had time to heal. Ask about the topical treatments, some really can minimize it considerably. One thing, check with the surgeon before you use any topical, if you do, since some feel that any kind of oil, can cause infections if the scar is still open. But I had really good luck with vit e and neosporin, but it wasn't keloid either.

Good luck...

Last edited by DesertBloom; 07-30-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
    lhodge
    (female)

lhodge HB User

Hiya

Thank you both for your messages. I especially liked the Guatemalan police response, sounds far more interesting than developing DDD at 25!

Im going to see what happens over the next couple of months and then decide if I want to do anything about it, it could fade or I may not be bothered by it as much. But thank you both for putting it into perspective for me

Hodgey
    xxxx

Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

Hi hodgey, I have a keloid scar from a prior surgery, not back related. Just like the other post said it usually runs with people of darker skin and or family may have it. Mine is not to bad, its in a hidden area and the only person who could see it would be someone like a husband or my doc. They do not go away, but if it contiues to get bigger the docs may remove it. My friend had 2 big ones on her ears one was removed surgicallay and the other I believe by laser. So I hope this helps. But, I beleive at this stage of healing you should worry about healing, pain, etc. Try not to stress over that right now. You take care.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
    waguero
    (female)

waguero HB User

My fiance is facing this problem but his is causing him to be unable to walk, what are the chances of him recovering his ability to walk? Is there anyone who has been through this experience? I want to give him as much support as possible, any advice as to how I can help him.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]If you want rplies, start a new post. This post is from 2007 and people won't be reading it....
    [/COLOR]

Closed Thread