It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Dynesys System

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
    StarBrightGirly
    (male)

StarBrightGirly HB User
    Question Dynesys System

I have just recently been approved for the dynesys system for my low back. I have DDD and hernaitions with root impingement on L3-S1 from a slip down some stairs that landed me right on my back almost 5 years ago. He wants to do all three levels with Dynesys.

I am curious if anyone here has had this type of surgery and what the outcome is so far... I have tried injections, therapy, nuceloplasty (similar to IDET) and nothing worked. I am only 33 so the Dr thinks this is a better alternative to fusion for me and if need be in the future I can still have fusion.

Any information would be appreciated

Star

Last edited by StarBrightGirly; 08-19-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Dynesys System

Star, there is a member that frequents this forum named Sandi that goes by the user name of Clover60. She is out of pocket right now but I am sure when she is able she will respond to you. You might want to do an advanced search by her user name. If you look above there is a bar with my settings, faq, posting policy, new posts, quick links, then advanced search - click on this button, search by the user name of clover, and do a search by the back problems board and you should see several posts by her.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by ms_west; 08-19-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Hi Star
    I am back. I did have this done on L4-S1 for pars defect and DDD and spondy. It did stablize me for the pars defect but I know have a colliaped disc and have had 6 months of a hard recovery. But I pushed myself a little to hard.

Are you doing a trial?

Good luck and keep me posted.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
    StarBrightGirly
    (male)

StarBrightGirly HB User

What is pars defect? I dont know...

So it has been more then 6 months since your surgery or longer? I am glad it has helped you. I am so tired of it hurting, the MRI's do not show that much of a change but I feel worse lately.

I am not doing a trial, my Dr suggested this back in January of 2006. I just have been trying everything else first (and fighting with WC to get them to approve it which they just did on Friday)! I have even been working out in the gym my surgeon owns that is specifically for back patients. The gym has helped me feel better, but the pain is still there. I have talked to a few of his patients there but none of them have had dynesys with 3 levels so I wondered if I could find someone online that did...

My Dr has done a lot of Dynesys patients though, I have met several 1 level dynesys and a couple two level dynesys patients of his, but no 3 level patients yet. The Dr said though in the last year and half since he suggested it he said they improved the screws where they actually now contain some bone growth thing that makes them more sturdy and not move around, which sounds GOOD to me, I sure dont want something moving around back there after I get this done!

Are you pain free or without meds at the moment,,, or should I not ask that question? I take pain meds, but only a little, I was on the duragesic patch for over a year, but I am now just taking pills. I just hate the way opiate pain meds make me feel in the head, even as little as I take they mess with my thinking. I am only 33 and it's like I feel like im 63 sometimes with this back... I am really hoping this will help.... I dont know when surgery is yet, I have to call again tomorrow but they said within a few weeks after it is approved.

Thanks for answering questions
    Star

Old 09-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Star
    I am not pain free. But now have been diagnosed with Graves diease which could make things worse.

My insurance company just sent me a letter saying they are investigating my surgery as they do not feel my Dr billed it correctly.

Is your Dr leaving the disc's or removing them?

Sorry it took me so long to respond but my time on here is limited as I have tremors that make it hard to type sometimes.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:57 AM   #6
    StarBrightGirly
    (male)

StarBrightGirly HB User

Oh I am sorry for the news.... The Dr is leaving everything else where it is. He said that in some patients the disks will show signs of healing after some time and bearing my age (33) in mind that it a possibility for me.

My Dr said they bill the Dynesys as fusion, I dont know if that helps you, but thats what he told me. Even though it is not a traditional hard fusion. The thing with my back is that not just one of the disks are worse then the other, all 3 L3-S1 are equally messed up so he said if this does not work we can still do ADR or fusion in the future. I m praying this works though.

I just scheduled it actually for September 11th so wish me luck and I will send you some good energy your way too!

Thanks for the support!
    Star

Old 09-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Good luck. Hope it works for you. I have heard it can be successful.

My insurance is upset because in their eyes it is not a fusion unless the disc's are removed. They did use the bone growth material on the screws and the screws fused to the boned right away. I still have a little to much movement and am pinching a nerve somewhere along the way causing flare ups. The MRI's show I should hurt on the left and my pain is on the right.

The surgery is easier to heal from I went back to work after 2 weeks which I do not recommend. Take the time to heal.

Again my diagnose of Graves is probably why I am not healing as I should.

You may want to call your insurance and get a preauthorization yourself just so you don't end up in my mess.

Good luck my prayers are with you.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
    StarBrightGirly
    (male)

StarBrightGirly HB User

I had so much drama with my insurance company, it is through WC so I had to take them to court to get them to pay for it but they are so I am thankful. The people I have talked to have had success with it, one lady said one of the spacers broke or snapped in her and they had to fix it through another smaller surgery and one lady that smoked and doesnt seem to care for herself like she should said it didnt work for her but the others I talked to were happy. I guess it does depend on the person... I am trying to be as healthy as I can and getting all my stuff in order to prepare myself. Thanks for the good wishes!
    Star

Old 09-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #9
    kaia122
    (female)

kaia122 HB User

I don't want to discourage you in any way, but I just wanted to tell you my experience as well. To begin with, I am 27 right now, so I can relate to the being young part. As of today, I have had 5 back surgeries in the last 4 years, but have had pain since I was 16 because of volleyball and probably some genetics thrown in. My fourth surgery was Dynesys on my L3-4 and L4-5. My 3 prior surgeries were micodiscectomies on my L4-5, however I kept reherniating and then the level collapsed, so it was bone on bone. Anyway, I don't want to go on too long, but basically my bottom three levels were not good, but the two levels this surgery was done on were worse. This surgery was done, and it helped for some time. However the pain came back and they did test after test and could not find what was causing it. Dec. 29th of '06 I had a 3 level anterior/posterior fusion. I am feeling so much better now and can deal with the pain I experience. My surgeon, like yours, wanted to be conservative and do everything they could before doing a fusion. It just wasn't for me.

I don't want to tell you this to scare you. I know many people have this surgery and it is successful, as I am sure it will be for you. I also want to tell you that the way they do this surgery, at least for me, was less painful then how they do others. They did two incisions on either side of the spine, and pushed the muscle aside instead of cutting it. Without having the muscle cut, the recovery is so much easier. Don't get me wrong, it is still a back surgery, but at least that part is not as bad.

I am sorry for the long message. Parts of it might not make sense too. I am pretty tired, but wanted to write you. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. I should have a clearer head tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #10
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Mine was l4-s1 and I did have a buldging disc at the l4 level before my surgery. I did have some ok times after the surgery and was out of my brace for 2 weeks but now have to wear it when I am on my feet alot.

I know have problems with that disc collispizing. This is from the last MRI. Dr said if he reverses it he will only fuse l5-s1 which is where I had the pars defect and most of the problems. I decided no more surgeries unless my life is more compromised. I am coping now and although I can not do alot of things I could before I am still working and able to have an ok life.

I also thought before my surgery that this would be great. I have to admit that I was confused and did not do my research however the FDA website has this surgery not approved unless used with a fusion (disc's removed)

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you have no complications and do great.

Closed Thread