It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 11 weeks post ALIF - Abdominal problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
    sundee
    (female)

sundee HB User
    11 weeks post ALIF - Abdominal problems

How long do people typically have abdominal problems post ALIF? After 11 weeks, my abdomen is still really tender around the incision. Anyone else have this experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
    Re: 11 weeks post ALIF - Abdominal problems

Yes, mine was still tender when I started PT at 5 months. My therapist taught me how to "work" my incision, gently moving it back and forth and up and down. This broke up scar tissue underneath it, and it felt better within days. She worked the back incision for me, and even though it hadn't felt tender like the front one, she always got a good pop or two out of it, which was scar tissue breaking loose. The front incision never popped. Maybe it depends on how much scar tissue there is and how tough it is.

She told me scar tissue can continue to form for up to a year after surgery. I still work my incisions everyday. It only takes about 30 seconds, but it's well worth remembering to do it.

If your incision is red or puffy, though, you should have your doctor take a look at it. My incision looked great, it was just sore.

Blessings,
    Emily

Old 09-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
    bailey07
    (female)

bailey07 HB User
    Re: 11 weeks post ALIF - Abdominal problems

Hi, I am 5 months post ALIF and am glad to see your post. I am still having trouble with my abdomen. I saw my ortho and he said I am almost fused. I also saw my surgeon for the first time because I have very painful areas on the side of my incision. My own healthcare provider felt them and thought they were suture granulomas which are nonhealing sutures. The surgeon wasn't concerned but does want to see me in one month and said if they still bothered me, he would inject them. I can feel the stitches when I palpate them and they are very sharp with pain. I will go back on September 20. I have been wanting to post this same question and glad you did. The surgeon also said that the sutures are very slow healing and it takes time for the healing of the abdomen to take place. Hope this helps.
    Bailey07

Closed Thread