It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• morphine pump and male impotence

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
    apartipilo
    (male)

apartipilo HB User
    morphine pump and male impotence

I was on Ms-Contin ( which is long acting morphine ) for about 2 yrs following my lumbar fusion. It helped a little with the pain but serious side effects ensued, not the least of which was a gradual but steady drop in my testosterone which caused impotence. As soon as I decided to get off the drug, within 1 month, my testosterone rebounded back to normal coinciding with a return of my potence-- problem solved right?? NO, not really because I suffer this constant back and leg pain and it needs to be managed or else it will kill me ( suicidal thoughts sometimes enter my mind ). I want to control this pain but I can't sacrifice a sex life for relief of pain or else I feel I'm just trading one serious problem for another. Someone suggested you get back on some narcotic to contol pain and start on testosterone replacement. I don't think that's the answer for me because I want my natural testosterone to keep active. I'm afraid it will mess up my whole harmonal system. Plus the MS-contin was scary-- I was building a tolerace to the drug and my dosages were slowly but surely inching higher and higher to the point where I was a zombie.
    Questions:
    1. I've heard that a morphine pump is direct and thus you require a lot less. Maybe this would not cause a drop in testosterone and not cause male impotence. Any males out there with a morphine pump around 40 yrs old that have this problem? I've also heard of a non-narcotic drug used now in pain pumps called PRIALT. It also works for chronic pain without the side effects of opiates/narcotics such as constipation, impotence, mental showdowns, dependencies, etc.etc.
    2. Would it be wise to first try a spinal cord stimulator before a pain pump. The only thing I worry about is that a stimulator apparently only works well for the leg pains and not well for back pain. Is this anyone's experience?

I could really use a good decision on my part for once in this long ordeal. I really just want to have all the best information first. I feel I've screwed up my life by first having a fusion, then , 3 yrs later having the rods and screws removed since I was convinced they were causing the pain ( even though the doctor wasn't keen on removing them ). Anyhow, I have to make the right decision NOW to salvage any sort of reasonable life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User
    Re: morphine pump and male impotence

I have the pump, but I am female and quite a bit older than you so I have no answer to your question. I have read about meds causing male impotence due to suppression of testosterone and that injections of testosterone do help with that problem. I am trying to understand why it's so important to not use"artificial" testosterone, if by doing so you can take meds to help with the pain. I would think that would be the best of both worlds!

Your best bet to find out about whether the pump supresses testosterone is your doctor. Have you spoken to him about getting the intrathecal pump? And by the way, Prialt has some potentially bad side effects; I wouldn't be in any hurry to try it myself. I do hope someone has the answers you seek.

Carol
    morphine pump

Old 09-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
    Jack24
    Inactive
    (male)

Jack24 HB User
    Re: morphine pump and male impotence

I started using a testosterone gel about 2 weeks ago for the same reasons. You don't have to go the injection route. Like you I would love to get off the narcotics but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. In addition you should notice an increase in energy.

It is not the massive doses that some body builders use.

If it were me I would hold off on the pump until you have to.

Closed Thread