It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• lower back pain and several UTI's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
    meljo
    (female)

meljo HB User
    lower back pain and several UTI's

[B]Hi I decided to post here instead of urology..
    when I was 13 I fould out the my vertabra number 5 was deformed... I wore a back brace for a couble of years and it never bothered me again... well Iam now 37 and having lots of lower back pain and also since march I have had 6 Uti's. Having a catscan and cryscope next month.
    but does anyone think that this could some how be related? when I get a uti it is never because of the usuall symptoms it is always becouse my lower back hurts so bad... almost a burning , throbbing feeling...
    Thanks so much for listening... Meljo[/B]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
    Re: lower back pain and several UTI's

Hi, someone else asked about something related to this that I just replied to. I just saw a doc yesterday who is testing my bladder symptoms. I told him how my bladder problems seem to correlate with my spine issues; what can happen is, if the nerves that run from the spine to the bladder get damaged or compressed, it can cause certain bladder problems. It can also cause one to not empty their bladder completely. This causes urine to stay in the bladder too long and the bacteria in there can multiply and cause an infection. Before my stenosis surgery, I had so much compression in my lumbar spine for so long; at my preop testing they found I had a bladder infection. I have no clue I had one or how long I had it b/c I had so much pain & couldnt tell the difference what was what. Although I didnt have "bladder" pain per se, not in that area in the front.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
    meljo
    (female)

meljo HB User

that is so interesting... I really didnt exspect to get a responds to my bladder problems in the back problem page...
    I did read what you wrote earlyer , it is so interesting.. thank you so much for not letting me think Iam the only one out there... meljo

Old 09-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
    FireGirl57
    (female)

FireGirl57 HB User

I agree, the two can definitely be related. I used to get UTI's a lot, and went through the tests that you are talking about. They never found anything to explain why I would get them so frequently.

They I started seeing a chripractor, presto, UTI's were gone!

Years later, my back problems start, and low and behold, I got another infection. Like we don't have enough problems, to have to deal with that as well is just plain torture!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
    patrioticjoy
    (female)

patrioticjoy HB User

I'm waiting for my surgery on 9/25 TLIF at L4 & L5s1. For a few weeks I'd been having bladder issues such as taking forever to finish peeing. Start , stop, start stop. and repeat! Then Wednesday evening I suddenly had terriable urge and couldn't go. Got worse and I developed spasms in pelvic area. Is this bladder spasms? Back was also spasming from doing too much. Went to doc and dx with bladder infection. It was wierd with none of the usual symtoms like burning. Interesting to see so many with back problems having this. I thought maybe I was passing a stone the spasm pain was so bad. .I guess the good thing is this happened now and not day after surgery! Preop visit is 19th. Hope this isn't a recurring thing.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:40 AM   #6
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Yeah it is weird. I have had bladder infections in the past before I ever had back problems. And when that happened, I had horrible burning and pain in my bladder area, plus pain where it comes out. I had abdominal bloating and after a little while, I could not urinate at all. The pain got pretty bad, but I could tell where it was coming from & was always in my bladder area in front and where the urine leaves the body. It just felt different than what I experience now and other times that I have herniations. So I'm going to have a test now to check for neurogenic bladder, i think that's what it's called.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
    sus42
    (female)

sus42 HB User
    Smile Re: lower back pain and several UTI's

[QUOTE=meljo;3206923][B]Hi I decided to post here instead of urology..
    when I was 13 I fould out the my vertabra number 5 was deformed... I wore a back brace for a couble of years and it never bothered me again... well Iam now 37 and having lots of lower back pain and also since march I have had 6 Uti's. Having a catscan and cryscope next month.
    but does anyone think that this could some how be related? when I get a uti it is never because of the usuall symptoms it is always becouse my lower back hurts so bad... almost a burning , throbbing feeling...
    Thanks so much for listening... Meljo[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi meljo, I can see where you are coming from, i have been in pain for nearly two years with my back ,an x ray showed cracks to my lumber no5 on both sides, i also suffer bad leg pain and cant even remember when i last had a full nights sleep, the hospital have failed to tell me whats wrong and i am unable to work ,so have been off for a year now. I was interested in your post as i have also been suffering with uti's this past year and had never had one prior to this , i think im on my 5th in the last six months, please let me know if you find a link with your tests, as my GP just treats and asks no questions, also out of interest my colestorol has risen to 7.75 for no apparent reason in the last six months ,so am being treated for this now as well. Good luck with tests. sus42

Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
    MAMMYBOJAMMY
    (female)

MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User

All of this is very interesting to me. I too suffer from frequent UTI's.
    Before I was injured in 1987, I always showed blood in my urine.
    My Dr. finally order an IVP on me. That is where they inject dye and look at the kidneys/bladder.

Nothing out of the ordinary showed up. A round of antibiotics always got rid of the blood, but every time I had a UA, it was there again. So, the years rolled on, and I was always having to take antibiotics for this problem. As I said my accident was in 1987.

Well, about a year or so ago, I started noticing it was taking me a long time to get the 'flow' started, then I would stop, then start again, etc. This has continually gotten worse. I never do feel like I have emptied my bladder. My husband even noticed my problem of taking so long to actually start peeing. He said to me one night, let me go to the bathroom first. It takes you so long to even start that I can be finished.lol...now, ladies, we all know if our hubbys notice something like that, it isn't in our heads. I haven't had it looked at yet but will be talking to my Dr. about it soon as I need to go in and get my yearly physical.

I do know that the back is involved with some of these urinary problems.

There is a medical term for when the nerves get so jumbled up down there that causes these urinary problems and even bowel problems.

It is called Cauda Equina....If it gets to the point we can't go to the bathroom at all, then usually it means emergency surgery.

Have any of you been diagnosed with Cauda Equina?

For sure when you go to your back Dr. he/she needs to know about any bladder or bowel problems that you might be having.

To all of you, Take care and see your Dr. if you are having any of these problems.

See ya,
    Mammy Brenda

Old 09-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No, i've never been diagnosed with cauda equina. I thought that was just if you lose feeling in your rear end, groin, private area and lose bowel and/or bladder control? Does just having a bunch of weird bladder symptoms also mean cauda equina? I know i've always been asked if I had any numbness in that area, or leakage or loss of control, which ive' never had. I only think my bladder issues have some connection to my spine problems because everytime I take steroids (either medrol dose packs or epidurals or nerve blocks, my bladder seems to normalize) and as soon as I get another big herniation, it starts up again.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
    MAMMYBOJAMMY
    (female)

MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User

[QUOTE=Baybreeze;3213208]No, i've never been diagnosed with cauda equina. I thought that was just if you lose feeling in your rear end, groin, private area and lose bowel and/or bladder control? Does just having a bunch of weird bladder symptoms also mean cauda equina? I know i've always been asked if I had any numbness in that area, or leakage or loss of control, which ive' never had. I only think my bladder issues have some connection to my spine problems because everytime I take steroids (either medrol dose packs or epidurals or nerve blocks, my bladder seems to normalize) and as soon as I get another big herniation, it starts up again.[/QUOTE]

Cauda Equina does require surgery. But, you could have what is called "Cauda Equina Syndrome", which is symptoms/events leading to C.E.

I read an article on it today when I looked up the words in quotes on the web. When all those nerves get so mangled up and congested together is when it becomes full blown C.E. I have to think the Steroids remove part of the swelling giving more room there. It is pretty interesting to read about. Well, DH is calling out my name, so I better get off for the night and pay him a little attention. ;>) See ya later.
    Brenda

Old 09-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hmm, well, i guess i'll have to do some reading about this. I got my appt. for a test today called a CMG test. That's not til Oct 12th. But I'll have to wait see what comes of that test, since it tests nerve & muscle function.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi everyone! These posts were all so very interesting to me, as I just went through a UTI infection that lasted 2 months and would not go away. During this I kept saying to myself.....I wonder if my back problem (herianated disc in lower back/a few degenerated as well) has anything to do with my back! I actually started out with a yeast infection according to my gyno...was treated for that, but a week later had the bladder thing going on. Went back and was treated for that...took the antibiotics, but was still in horrible pain. Even went to the ER, and they did a urine culture and a swab...told me everything was all clear. But, they gave me more antibiotics. Felt ok for a week or so, then went on vacation and began to feel awful again. Ended up in the ER again, and this time they did a cat scan for stones and a urine culture. Bladder infection was back full blown! Put on Cipro, began to feel better, but had to stop taking it because my right leg swelled up. Went to my family doctor and he put me on another antibiotic. Just finished the last one today, and feel better now. Just praying it doesn't come back!

But, I also had pelvic pain, and terrible lower back pain. It does seem connected to me, and I am convinced it is now that I read all your posts. I just had an epidural shot yesterday for my back, and find the pelvic pain had diminished now. I am waiting to see what happens now. I am thinking of going to a uurologist if it comes back. I will be checking back in here to read about everyone's experiences now that I know I am not crazy in thinking it is connected with back problems.

Thanks Everyone!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
    MAMMYBOJAMMY
    (female)

MAMMYBOJAMMY HB User

I don't know if this will help any of you or not, but we have a Hospital here that sends out newsletters. I got one and it talks about UTI's. They said if all of us would drink as little as 4 oz. of Cranberry juice a day, we would not get the UTI's.

I do keep Cran. juice in my frig at all times and start drinking it at the first sign of a UTI. I know I need to drink it daily as I do get a lot of UTI's. Guess I am just lazy, plus it gives me indigestion...But if any of you want to try this remedy, I hope you will come back and let us all know if it works for you.

They never did find out why I have blood show up in my urine all the time, but I bet if I went and had a UA today, it would be there. Any of you have any ideas why this might be happening to me????

At one time, back in the 80's, the UROG. scoped me and said I had a 'lump' on the fundus of the bladder and he needed to hospitalize me and do a biopsy. It scared me to death, along with all of my family. He was taking vacation and couldn't do the biop. for 3 weeks. I just knew he would find bladder cancer. Well, a lot of prayers were said on my behalf, and when he took me to OR, the lump was gone...so, I left the Hosp. still not knowing what the heck was going on with me.

I did NOT have a back problem at that time of my life...
    Anyway, hope something I posted here will help someone.
    Talk to all of ya later,
    Mammy

Old 09-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
    chablis3
    Veteran
    (female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Mammy! Yes, I do drink lots of cranberry juice lately, as well as water, which I hardly ever drank before! I am continuing to try to drink the cranberry juice, a bit every day as you suggested. I read someplace that if you are prone to bladder infections you should discuss it with your doctor and see if the doc would give you a perscription for antibiotics to keep on hand so you could start taking it as soon as you feel a UTI coming on. Sounds like a good idea, but I have to wonder if doctors will agree to that. I am going to call mine and at least ask.

I can't think of any reason you should have blood in your urine all the time; that doesn't sound right. I know it happens when you have an infection, but I don't know of any other reason. Thank goodness you didn't have any cancer.....that is wonderful to hear!

Thanks for your suggestion and good luck...hope you feel well now.

Take care!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi, I also drink cranberry juice but it seems not have any affect for me. As for blood in the urine, I know of some things that can cause it: stones, uti's, kidney problems, inflammatory diseases, diabetes, and clotting disorders. Im sure there are probably other reasons, but I know these are some. OH, i think some medications may cause that as well.

Closed Thread