It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Pamelor/Nortriptyline........................Cym balta??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #1
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Pamelor/Nortriptyline........................Cym balta??

My doctor put me on pamelor Thursday of last week and everyday since I have had a huge headache. I went and looked and it is a side effect, not earth shattering but one they say you should discuss with your doctor.

I also have experienced some numbness on my face. I discountinued it and will be seeing my primary in the morning. I was wondering if anyone else has had this side effect.

And those of you who are on cymbalta for awhile, how has it worked for you? How long have you been on it? Did you find that it fizzled out after awhile?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User
    Re: Pamelor/Nortriptyline........................Cym balta??

If you don't mind me asking, were you put on this for an antidepressant or for neural pain management?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Apparently, it is helpful with nerve pain. It is in the same family as elavil.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User

For most people the headache passes in about one week, sometimes two. It is a fairly common side effect. You also need to be watchful of weight gain as this is also a fairly common side effect.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

No, I better not have weight gain -- sorry I just lost 30 lbs.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User

Hi folks Molodova and Diet.

A couple of weeks ago I was just really fed up and went to my doctor, he prescribed Cymbalta, said I should have been on something ages ago as I have suffered for 7 years with my back, and now with the fusion to help me get thru it. Well I took the cymbalta on a Monday at 4 O'Clock. By 8 O'Clock my head was spinning, I was getting sick, the woke up the next morning, didnt really wake as I was dizzy, sick, couldnt lift my head off the pillow, and could not eat. It was Wednesday afternoon when I began to feel normal. It was the worst I ever experienced tablet wise. I just said to my husband okay I am going to cope with the bad days and if you cant cope with me, you take them...... I was dissappointed I was unable to take them as i know they can also help with the pain. I am now in a situation that if i go back to my doctor he will say try a different type, but I am not going thru that for love nor money again.

Round 1

Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I hear you Round1. I have had so many side effects from these supposedly nerve medicines that I am scared to try anymore. I want pain relief but not at the expense of more sickness or problems.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
    kkmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kkmom HB User

Hey pepper, i have been on pamelor for a while now. i do not recall the headaches, but it does nothing for my nerve pain, maybe helps with the depression part. I mean maybe it did help with the nerve pain, because I was better for a while, its just that now I am not. I managed to lose 30lbs and I am still on this med so you should be okay in that department. However, I am mad because I had to start another medrol dose pack and you know what that means.....weight gain, I better eat nothing but fruits and veggies this week. Hope you feel better.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
    Frosty6
    Veteran
    (female)

Frosty6 HB User

I feel like I have tried them all. Pamelor first, I don't recall the side effects. I think it just wasn't working for me and keeping me up all night. Cymbalta made me so rock bottom depressed they took me off of it right away. There were a few others tossed in there but I don't recall them. The latest ones were Zoloft which made me sleep about 15 hours a day/night. Then they switched me to Wellbutren and that turned me into a monster. I mean, I got on my own nerves with that one. High anxiety, rapid heartbeat and everything I touched either fell on the floor or didn't work. I only took that one for about 5 days. Now they have me on Lexapro. A very low dose to start out. With all of the other meds, he had me starting out with high doses and that isn't a good fit with my body I guess. I have not had one problem with the Lexapro and this is the 4th day I've taken it. I'm on 10 mg for now and he plans to up it eventually.

I hope you will be able to find one that works for you if the Pamelor doesn't. I haven't encountered anyone that has had as severe reaction to the Cymbalta as I have. The ones I have heard about love it.

Good luck and I hope that headache disappears right away!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User

So how did you all lose 30 pounds with a bad back?? What's the secret??

Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #11
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Thanks Lincoln and kk. I have an appt with my GP in the morning so hopefully she will start me on something else. I was not sleeping at night either. It was like a very light sleep if I sleep.

Tshol, I lost 30 lbs. on Jenny Craig. Now I am trying to go at it myself. JC was getting very expensive but it definitely works.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
    Frosty6
    Veteran
    (female)

Frosty6 HB User

I'm so jealous you lost 30lbs. You go girl!!! I seem to crave sweets-mainly dark chocolate or peanut butter. I swear I would lose most of my body weight as I don't eat much at all but I have to eat those sweets. I looked online and is is supposedly a magnesium shortage. There were a few disputes as they say normally you would crave peanuts and I crave those too, I just assumed I was low on protein. Now I am taking vitamins like a good girl but need to go to GNC to get the other supplements to see if it will work for me. I do know one thing, I am soooo ready for these cravings to go away. Some say it is the meds too but it isn't EVERY day, just most of them. Good luck going it alone. You've already lost 30 so at least you are in the groove now.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #13
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I am doing it for my back. If I lose another 20, I will be at the low end of my weight. My surgeon wants me to stay right where I am. He would rather see me here then to do the ping pong weight cycle. So thank you my surgeon for telling me I can stay overweight.

Lincoln, the biggest thing is to eat every couple of hours and keep your sugars up and watch portion control.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #14
    yvette777
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yvette777 HB User

Diet I am still on the cymbalta and I don't know if its working or not anymore.

But, I still take it.

The first week I had a lot of side effects, but stuck with it and that passed.

I cant' take the dang lyrica or neurontin I just can't.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User

I've been on Cymbalta for about 2 months - a very low dose, 20 mgs. I hear of people taking up to 120 mgs. My dr. is pretty conservative with these things. She recommended it for both depression and pain. I can't say I've noticed any change with pain. I noticed VERY mild changes with depression. I was horribly tired at first and I was taking it in the morning. I switched to taking it at night and it's since resolved. I'm seeing this dr. soon and I'll ask her what she thinks. I'm not in love with it, but I'm really up for giving anything a fair shot. I've noticed the Topamax has helped the most with nerve pain, but it does make me really stupid. It bothers me, but I'll live with it for a while because I do not miss that burning, I'm-going-to-be-up-all-night-feeling at all!

I think Cymbalta makes me crave sweets. I never was like that and now ever day I MUST have sugar. It's a horrible compulsion.

Good luck in the med search. It is NOT easy!

Closed Thread