It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• nerve block

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User
    nerve block

Has anyone had good results from a sympathetic nerve block? Is the procedure basically the same as an ESI?

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: nerve block

Deb, the procedure is basically the same. They start an IV, take you into the procedure or OR, give you twilight sedation, under flourscopy they inject steroids and medication to numb or block the affected nerve. It is used for diagnostic purposes to help determine the problem level. When they are done with the procedure, you will need to have someone drive you home because you often can't feel the leg and bear weight on it.

I have had two. One brought me 72 hours worth of relief and the second one was a disaster.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

generally a sympathetic block will only realistically work for you if your pain is being generated sympathectically(by some level of actual sympathetic nerveous system damage).people with RSD get these alot.they usually are more effective because RSD is a sympathetically triggered pain syndrome.they are also used for diagnostic purposes to determine whether someones symptoms are RSD or some type of neuropathic related syndrome.when it is done,if you actually do feel some level of relief from your pain or other symptoms,its a pretty good indicator that your symptoms are sympathetic not neuropathic.if your doc suspects you may have SNS damage which has triggered something like RSD/CRPS,it would benefit you to have this done to try and determine what is actually triggering it.Marcia

Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User

OK help me here .....
    how is sympathetic nervous system damage obtained?

What is RSD and CRPS?

So the nerve pain that I have may not be nerve pain at all??

Diet...how was the second shot a disaster? What does it mean that you got releif for 72 hours? wha tis the diagnostic meaning of that?

If it helps and it is sympathetic nervous system damage..does it get better? what is the treatment?

they have called me to schedule this but I haven't returned the call...

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User

me again...if I have already had 2 ESI's would this be considered the 3rd one?

Old 11-10-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I had a nerve block done this past summer at L5 and it thankfully did help the sciatica. It definitely gave me pain relief for several weeks. About 3 weeks later, I got nerve pain again; however, it was in a different area, so was probably due to another level. It was all in my hips and groin, so I'm thinking it was from a little higher level. They also inject steroids when they do the nerve block, so I would think (though dont quote me on this) that 2 ESI's and 1 nerve block would probably count for 3 injections as far as the steroids go.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=deb53;3300124]OK help me here .....

Diet...how was the second shot a disaster?

[COLOR="Blue"][I]I don't want to scare anyone from having a nerve block. I think that they are definitely worth trying because lots of people have TEMPORARY relief from their pain. Whether that temporary relief will be enough to allow their problems to be resolved is the $164,000 question.

When I had my block, they blocked my hardware as well as nerve. I had some back pressure in the recovery room but all of my leg pain disappeared. For that day, I had no nerve pain whatsoever. However, when the numbing meds wore off, I actually ended up having back pain 10x worse then before the block. I have been on medication 24/7 since this block and having very high levels of pain. I am currently scheduled for surgery on the 28th to remove hardware, add bmp to fusion, add abdominal plates if necessary, nerve decompression, insert cage, etc. [/I] [/COLOR]

What does it mean that you got releif for 72 hours? wha tis the diagnostic meaning of that?

[COLOR="blue"][I]When they inject the numbing meds, it assists the doctor in determining whether or not they have the correct nerve root causing the problem. From there they can decide if you would benefit from other procedures whether they are surgical or nerve burning.

I had no leg nerve pain for 72 hours then my pain returned. Some people will get several weeks worth of relief from pain and then follow up with another nerve block.

Just realize that this procedure is TEMPORARY but can be very worthwhile because it might be just the amount of time you need to let things calm down. It also is very diagnostic in helping your physician to determine the nerve root.

Also be aware that there can be complications as with any procedure. Unfortunately, I suffered one and am in severe pain as a result of the procedure. It is rare but does happen. Scar tissue can form around the nerve or the nerve can be injured. Remember it is rare but can happen even by the most skilled surgeon.[/I][/COLOR]

[/QUOTE]

Old 11-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User

Has anyone had the sympathetic nerve block and been diagnosed with RSD? How long did you have relief from the pain?
    Diet...thanks for your honesty. I like knowing what I'm potentially dealing with. No surprises. It will help me ask questions on Tuesday when I see the PM.

Closed Thread