It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• First time Neurontin user, what can I expect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
    WalksGINGERly
    (female)

WalksGINGERly HB User
    First time Neurontin user, what can I expect?

A neurologist I saw this week wants me to take Neurontin, 3 times a day, says it will help my pain in the right butt, hip and groin and leg.

What can I excpect to feel like? Anyone take it with success or bad side effects?

I take 40 mg celexa a day for depression which is why he didnt give me Cymballta. I think celxea numbs me to the chronic pain I feel, it makes me feel like a zombie, slow to react and my mind races.

Should I start taking the Neurontin just days before the si joint injection....? I hate to add so much to my body at one time.

Any input is greatly aprreciated.
    Hope all is well with everyone, havent been on here ina few week. Ginger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
    Katirina
    (female)

Katirina HB User
    Re: First time Neurontin user, what can I expect?

I was just taking Neurontin at night to help me get to sleep with pain and it works well. I was told to take it during the daytime also and a little worried it would make me sleepy since I work. It doesn't do anything for me during the day including not helping with the pain. However, pain medicine is different with different people. My husband has a muscle relaxer that puts him out and I take it and nothing happens. I think you should try it as it is suppose to help with pain and that is what you need. I wish you the best.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
    spineman
    (male)

spineman HB User

The doctor had me on lyrica for the nerve pain down my leg and foot, which worked very minimal and wasn't worth the higher money required by my insurance company to buy. My pain doctor switched me to neurontin, and I would have to say it is working excellent. Where lyrica might have reduced the pain about 10 to 15%, neurontin has dropped it at least 50%. My legs and foot feel much better, and it has a much cheaper copay. Lyica gave me a mid-day drowsiness which caused me to spend most of the afternoon yawning. Once I switched to neurontin, that went away. The affects of neurontin vs. lyrica seem to be confirmed when recently I ran out of neurontin and switched to lyrica for a few days, the pain in my leg went back to being unbearable and the I found my self yawning all afternoon. I would have to say I am quite happy with neurontin, I also do not notice any side effects. As for your other questions, you should probably consult a doctor about starting it. Hope this helps and hope you feel better.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
    Tucsonlady40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

I take Neurontin as well, and it works great for me. When I first started taking it though, I was sleepy alot, and I felt dizzy. But as time went on, my body adjusted to it and It's worked wonders for me.

I agree with the other poster regarding consulting your physician regarding your other med.

Good luck to you and I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
    camperboy
    (male)

camperboy HB User

well I heard it might help my sciatic pain so I talked my doc into letting me try it. I started out taking 300mg 3x a day and the only thing it did was make me dizzy (it messed with my peripheral vision a bit). After listening to some other people I upped the dose to 600mg 3x a day. After 3 weeks - nothing. So it didn't do anything for me.

I've heard of people going as high as 3600mg a day. I've also heard that taking a low dose of nortryptaline for some reason makes it work a lot better.

I finally got my TLIF surgery 3 weeks ago, and it worked on my sciatic pain better than any pill

Good Luck,
    David

Old 11-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I am thinking about using this med for my upper back muscle pain and tingling. I have small bulges in the c-spine, and pain meds don't really help that. I am worried about the drowsiness bc I HAVE to be on top of my game at work. If I could start over a long weekend, I could try that. I just don't know. I do know it does help many people though. anyone know if it is available in a generic form yet?

Old 11-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #7
    jinks66
    (female)

jinks66 HB User

Hi there,

I've been on it twice, each time a couple of months after a surgery, and found no relief. I suffer more from claudication rather than "sciatica" so thats maybe the reason. (I've always had the impression taht in fact its how the suregon believes me that my continued pain isn't simply an angry nerve, but that's a whole other story) I'm coming off it this week so that my surgeon can see if there's any noticeable difference without it. Each time, I slowly increased it from 400mg up to 1800mg over the course of a month.

In terms of side effects, I've had next to none. I get a bit sleepy in the afternoon, but then find 5-6hrs is sufficient for me at night. I wake during the night in pain 2-3times per night anyway, but once I wake around 6am, that's me up and about. Don't know if its the medication or the afternoon nap, but a lot of meds seem to hit me that way.

Good luck with it, I hope it helps you.

Jinks

Old 11-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
    tmarkfer
    (female)

tmarkfer HB User

I was on Neurontin for 26 months and found that it did nothing for me except make me gain alittle weight. My new doc took me off of it when I told him how long I was on it and that it was not helping me. I hope you have a better outcome.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #9
    lilredsmom
    (female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

I've been taking the Neurontin for almost three months and it still makes me sleepy, I sleep for about two hours and then I'm good to go. Taking it alone is not enough for me, I had to try a combination of medications before I found what works for me. I take two Norcos in the morning which also put me out for two hours and when I wake up I then take the Neurontin and knock out again then take one Topamax which not only helps with the nerve pain but also with the migraines. My surgeon, I really don't know why he did this but I will be asking when I see him again, put his pinkie into my spinal column to feel my nerves and now I'm paying the price, they are still highly sensitive and it's been three months! I had a neuroma cut about four years ago that didn't heal successfully but I was still able to wear heels, now that nerve ending is giving me so much #### the slightest heel hurts my foot! I've been wearing ballerina slippers since I got out of the hospital, I can't wear shoes, some of the nerves in my left foot are too "active" or rather sensitive. So my Surgeons assistant told me to go back in six weeks to see the one who performed the surgery and see what he as to say. But the meds do at least help with the sciatic pain and the needle prickling pain I get now and then.

Last edited by lilredsmom; 11-12-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:57 AM   #10
    iliananj
    (female)

iliananj HB User

didn't help my pain any, or my sleep....I actually snapped at my doc to switch me to something else, instead he wanted to up the dosage when I told him how it was making me feel. I got easily agitated, depressed, angry, my memory is shot, and I felt suicidal...the weight gain literally felt like I went to sleep one night and woke up with an extra ten pounds...I mean literally...the shorts I wore yesterday that were loose, cannot even zip up today. I felt like I was losing it.

Closed Thread