It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• hardware removal and arachnoiditis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User
    hardware removal and arachnoiditis

At my appointment last week with my surgeon he told me that he is still requesting the surgery to remove the hardware and do some modification work on the canals at L4, L5, and S1. Also do a Laminectomy at the L3/L4 level. He thinks the pain and urinary/bowel problems are coming from the Arachnoiditis. I don't think so. It started right at surgery, the urinary/bowel retention. Also the saddle anesthesia started when I came to in the hospital. I believe if the Arachnoiditis exist, it is not causing this. If so it would have appeared in the Myelogram in 2/2006. The surgery was in 9/2005. It is showing up on a MRI/constrast dye done in 7/2006. I don't have the burning or tingling that is listed as one of the effects of ARC. I don't hurt in that area. I hurt at L4-S1 where the screws are. I also have knots running along the main muscles by the spine. The insurance company has offered over $400,000 to settle, but are way shy in their medicare set aside. I don't want to spend my own cash on this surgery and any other future surgeries. I sometimes think that this ARC, CES, and CRPS are ways to brush you off and stop all endeavers to do anything else. The insurance just keeps going with 2nd and 3 rd opinions. Their 1st attempt at a 2nd opinion backfired on them and now they are shopping for that doctor to say I am fine......They are using the Arachnoiditis as a way to say no surgery. Well, my doctor doesn't say that. He said as long as you don't go into that area you will be fine in that respect. My doctor said the screws are in the vertebre, not the canal. I hope I can get my surgery soon. How did the mummies in Egypt show Arachnoiditis? Moldova, we do sound alike in our surgery, don't we? Everything that could go wrong, DID!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
    Re: hardware removal and arachnoiditis

Chris, you are so right - stinks...
    OK, now about ARC - this thing does excist unfortunately. Based on my PM Dr from *** and on research i did, patients with this diagnose are non operable. My PM Dr told me that operating on that area can cause more severe damage to spinal cord and even paralysis.
    BUT... my surgeon (just a possibility, not for sure yet) may do 2 levels above my previous fusion but he will not touch the area where was operated before due to severe spinal cord and nerves scaring. My PM Dr showed me on my CT and MRI's area, than through the computer piece by piece which showed all the damage and scaring. Showed to me how it looks on other people with similar surgery I had (without ARC) and mine with it. Scary!!!

He would like to re-operate on all 4 levels (2 previous and 2 new once) but he can't touch the old fusion due to ARC. He is not excited to repair 2 new levels since he can't attach all 4 to one rod; therefore he does not garantees that sucess will be as good as if he could revise old and add to it 2 new levels. This way he can't use one rod, and it can cause problem in a future.
    Personaly I don't think they don't want to operate on us and created diagnoses ARC; look how many people here have 2-3 and more surgeries...

Not everybody though have such an extensive surgeries you and me have had and not everyone have so many complications - our luck, Chris..

Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

My surgeon said that it would take a miracle worker at this time to fix ARC. That they would have to separate each nerve one by one and make sure they would stay separated. It can't be done at this time. Maybe in the future if enough doctors take an interest in it. I guess it would be the ultimate micro surgery. I just don't understand when it happened. The 2006 Myelogram didn't show it. The doctor went into that area with the injection. (dye). Then 5 months later it was there on a MRI/contrast. No one wants to discuss this and no doctor will say for sure it is ARC. The pain was there before. The Neuro-surgeon at the University said to me, "You have Arachnoiditis?" This was after looking at the MRI and then looking at the report. It was like "What" like he didn't see it. This is not at the fusion level. It is one level above. Bottom of the L3/L4. I think something else is causing the urinary/bowel problem and the pain. It started in 2005 with the surgery. The doctor has always denied CES. Maybe it's denial on my part. I am still going to pursue the surgery for the other things. Maybe the turkey and dressing will cure it for us?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Chris, do you have a court date or anything to go before a judge regarding the surgery? If so please update us so we can be sure to say a few prayers that day.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

I went about a month ago. The insurance companies want to settle. They offered a large amount of settlement, but the medicare set aside is to small in my opinion. My attorney is working on it. We will see what comes of this. There was a doctor that was assigned by the state comp. board to do a review. No review was done??? So the insurance company took it upon themselves to set up an appt with one of their doctors in January. This keeps going and going. My doctor said that he will do the surgery with the medicare set aside. So if there is a hearing again, it will be after the first of the year. In California they can cut your W/C check off after 5 years from injury and that has taken place. Glad I got on SSD when I did. I was told I would not be returning to work over a year ago. I told them that I still deserve a simi pain free life. Just want to hang out that sign that says: Gone Fishin!!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:32 AM   #6
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

My heart goes out to you -- I am so sorry this had dragged on and on for you. I have been dealing with this set up problems since 2004......it does get old doesn't it?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
    cherish1
    (female)

cherish1 HB User

I can't find it today, but last week I ran across a website that showed 2 MRI's on the same patient, 7 months apart. The first one, perfect nerves. 7 months later -- severe adhesive arachnoiditis. Apparently doesn't take very long at all.

I am awaiting testing on Monday to see if I have this. My severe pain is gone with my last surgery, but I have ongoing numbness, stiffness, possible neurogenic bladder, shooting electric shock pains out my feet, etc. Doctor suspects this since I had 3 surgeries in 2006.
    3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
    12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

Cherir: I am glad that your last surgery took care of your severe pain. I am praying that you do not have ARC. They are using the spinal stimulator for ARC according to some and it has shown that it does help leg pain. I don't have any shooting shock type pain in my legs or feet. Where was your surgery on your back? What type of surgery stopped your severe pain? I am hoping to just stop this severe type "10" pain that I have in my back. It's right where the screws are. My doctor has said that my hardware looks good from about 3 months out. I have been told that I am fused by 4 or 5 doctors. Let us know how your appointment goes on Monday. If you need to talk, we will be here for you.

Closed Thread