It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Help! Taking Lyrica and feeling loopy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
    mewcamaro
    (female)

mewcamaro HB User
    Help! Taking Lyrica and feeling loopy

I just started taking lyrica for my nerve pain and boy do I feel loopy, I feel like I'm drunk. Unsure when walking, I could never drive like this, but I'm not allowed to drive yet anyway.

Please tell me this is just tempory until I get used to the drug, because even though I just started taking it I think its helping with my pain. I finally find something to ease the terrrible pain I have and I can't function.

mew

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
    Round1
    Inactive
    (female)

Round1 HB User
    Re: Help! Taking Lyrica and feeling loopy

Hi there, yep I tried Lyrica, and felt like that aswell, it came in waves, one minute you felt fine and the next you felt really sickish.......... but then it came and went throughout the day for me. I took mine at night so I could sleep it off. It only last a few days as far as I can remember, but always make sure you eat something before or after taking it as I found on an empty stomach I would just feel so so sick. But yes it all kind of passed think it was a few days until it built up in the system. Best of luck on it.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
    ihavtwins
    (female)

ihavtwins HB User

This is totally normal and should pass. I am just starting it as well, and have had trouble driving. I feel sort of out of it and at home, i kind of bump into things sorta drunk feeling but not drunk. Today my eyes kept getting blurry when i was driving and I kept having to blink and reblink to get my vision. Sounds worse than it was, but the point is yes, dont drive when you start lyrica LOL. Your body needs a few days to get used to any drug, so be patient and stay home or have someone else drive! Take Care! Glad it is helping your pain, another reason to stick with it!
    Jen

Old 12-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User

I was taking Lyrica every 6 hours, so I took the first one at 9 in the morning, etc. For at least an hour after each dose, I was totally incapacitated for awhile, so I planted myself in the recliner for that amount of time. After a few weeks I got used to it, though. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
    schragie
    Veteran
    (female)

schragie HB User

What doses are you guys on? I've been taking it for a month and up to 75 mg, but still feeling loopy. It's not passing, but I had a few good days of relatively little pain last weekend so I am trying to hang in there. I am beginning to think my few good days were good because it was the weekend and I wasnt sitting all day at work.

I'm trying to hang in, but I won't get behind the wheel feeling like this (luckily my hub is my chauffer).

By loopy, I mean forgetting words, peoples' names, feeling kind of stoned all day (I take it at night), and doing stupid things like taking shower and only shaving one leg

I really hope this passes, but a month is a long time for it not to pass, isn't it? I plan to go up to 100 mg tomorrow since I can be stoned all weekend without worrying I made a mistake at work.

In a word, my opinion of this drug is YUCK.

Lisa

Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
    byramgirl
    (female)

byramgirl HB User

I felt really drunk the first 3 days and not drunk in a good way. I have been taking 75 mg twice a day for 2 weeks now and I still get that really drunk and dizzy feeling occasionally. I started noticing memory problems today and slurred speech and I haven't noticed any of my burning pain going away (if anything it has gotten worse and has gone into my right leg as well) I am going to my family doctor tomorrow and I am going to tell him about the side effects also.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
    HarleyGuy
    (male)

HarleyGuy HB User

HI Mew, I took it for a month and a half and the loopy feeling never stopped or got better. My brother takes it and has never had that feeling and it works very well for him. After the lyrica my doc gave me neurontin, did not help at all, then elavil, that stuff worked but I was always groggy, then he gave me Cymbalta and it works fine. If it doesn't get any better your doc can try something else until you find the right balance between side effects and pain relief. Take care and I hope they get you on the right med soon.

Harley

Last edited by HarleyGuy; 12-14-2007 at 04:32 AM.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User

I couldn't tolerate the Lyrica at all. I had major memory problems. I would sit in front of the computer and not know what to do. I'm on Neurontin now but can only take it at night as it also makes me very groggy. I'm also on Cymbalta and take that in the AM. Good luck, hope you find the right med combination.

Deb

Old 12-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

I have been taking it for close to a year now, I take 450 mg a day. I started it at 300 mg a day but I was switching from neurontin (2700 mg a day) so I needed a higher dose. It does ok for the nerve pain. Doesn't take it away 100% but I manage. I get lil spurts of goofy feelings but I have gotten used to it pretty much.

I do take care when driving, as anyone on meds should, I don't take my meds and then go out driving for the day. I plan my driving days so I can feel confident that I'm not endangering anyone else or myself. I think we forget once we get used to the meds that they do alter our mental state, thats why we don't feel the pain the meds derail those messages from getting to the brain so we should be very cautious about driving all the time. At least I feel that way for me.

I hope you get relief soon and the bad feelings from the meds go away.

God Bless

Carol

Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
    schragie
    Veteran
    (female)

schragie HB User

I'm discontinuing it tonight after 4 weeks (low dose--only 75mg in total daily). I am so excited that I will have my brain back soon though sad I couldnt get up to a dose that might actually help the pain. I actually got lost in my office building today and I've been working there for four years. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day in pain is better than not being able to remember where my desk is. Oh, the choices we have to make!

Closed Thread