It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Cymbalta and Percoet 7.5

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
    2young2hurt
    (female)

2young2hurt HB User
    Cymbalta and Percoet 7.5

My GP prescribed Cymbalta to go with my Percocet for my chronic back pain. he stated I was developing a tolerance and before long I would need to go up to 10 mg Perc and then the oxycontin ( which I am scared of due to horror stories of addiction ). Has anyone had success with Cymbalta to help deal with pain and there for not need to take as much Percocet ? how does Cymbalta work for pain ? All I have readis it is for nerve pain and depression/Aniety. Any info would help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
    mcda
    Inactive
    (female)

mcda HB User
    Re: Cymbalta and Percoet 7.5

Hello and welcome to the board. You will find that everyone here is willing to help with all your questions and needs. I take Cymbalta for both chronic nerve pain and depression (due to my condition). I also take several other medications. The first week, I took 30mg and then worked my way up 60 mg (the second week). I am anxiously awaiting to see how it will treat my pain. May I ask what back problems you have? Thanks, in advance.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey too young,just what are the nature of your pain issues,what did they originate from?how long were you taking the percs before your doc actually told you that you were becoming tolerant to them?its just that you can actually go in some cases,a pretty long time on certain narcotics and not actually become tolerant.i am kind of suprised that this came from your doc actually.usually it is the patient trying to convince their doc that they feel the meds just are not working anymore.i have maintained on my original stabilized dose of oxycontin for almost four years with only needing one 20mg increase,despite huge changes and intensitys of my pain issues.trying other things besides just narcotics to try and keep that overall narcotic intake down to a minimum is usually the best way to go.seeing an actual pain management doc would also allow you many more options for pain control too.using meds of different kinds and also other therepys or topicals can also be a huge help.

depending upon just what is actually causing your ongoing pain and if there is a surgery in the future would also dictate the best possible way to try and manage it too.lyrica is a good option but only for those who do not get some of the more profound types of possible side effects.this was the only med that seemed to really hit the areas of pain that i now have that just do not in any way respond to any level of narcotic.i would have loved to have stayed on it but my experience with it was just way over the top with some pretty nasty side effects.but that doesn't mean at all that it couldn;t be one of the best meds ever for you and your pain.everyone responds differently to meds based on many factors.just a good suggestion for you.i too tried cymbalta with some pretty icky side effects there too.it just really enhanced the usual spasticity i have in my legs from SCI.it didn;t do much for my depression either.i ended up going back onto lexapro since that had been working but we needed to readjust the dosage.

while it is great that you have a doc that actually recognizes that tolerance actually exists(believe me,some do not or just don;t care)if this is going to be a very long term situation you always have to keep in the back of your mind that if you just start using too high of doses of narcotics now to try and manage your pain,what is going to happen in the furture when you have kind of maxed out on them and they no longer will actually work for you.thats the part that really scares me the most and the biggest reason i have tried to keep my narcotic down to the lowest possible dose but still being able to just lower the overall intensity of my pain.this is why you try and use a many non narcotic modalities as possible.this where the long term usage and the 'have a surgery coming up soon' difference comes in in Rxing and using narcotics,you know what i mean?chronic pain patients are just going to be probabbly on some level of narcotic the rest of their lives vs someone who is on short term.this also plays alot into what is the best way to manage 'your' particular pain processes.for long term chronic pain situations it is just usually best to try the longer acting types of narcotics like in place of the oxycodone(percs)trying the longer acting oxycontin would probably be a much better choice for you.using the shorter acting meds is what would really increase the possibility of addiction developing sooner( just because of the 'full release" action of shorter acting meds vs slow ongoing releases)and the tolerance thing would just happen much quicker too.just something you need to consider when in long term pain management.it is just generally treated a bit differently than someone who is waiting for a surgery,you know what i mean?there is just alot more to really think about with long term vs short term PM.

if you could possibly explain your pain issues a bit more it would really help alot to give you the best possible advice since different pain processes use different methods for pain management.welcome to the boards tooyoung,Marcia

Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
    2young2hurt
    (female)

2young2hurt HB User

Back pain originated from degenerative disc disease along with mild compression in the L 4 L 5 area. For years I had been tested for gall bladder issuws when I would have a bad flare up since the pain originated in the middle of my back right side . Finally one visit to new Dr in practice noticed how I was sitting and asked me why. he looked at chart, saw where other Nurse Practioner had noted it was costroshondritis (sp) from coughing or having recent bout of bronchitis. YEAH RIGHT. Anyway.. new Dr ordered and MRI and there you have it. Degenerative Disc disease with the mild compression in disc at L4 L5 region. Sometimes the sciatica kicks in ( actually had a Dr at urgent care 1st time this happened where i went I was so scared ) tell me the butt muscle is a big muscle and can get sprained easily. Obviously he had NO CLUE.
    So that is my back issue in a nutshell. I take Flexeril when spasms kick in as well.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
    zandy11
    (female)

zandy11 HB User
    Question Re: Cymbalta and Percoet 7.5

Hi,

I've been having similar problems. I have been going to all types of dr for the past three years. It started with gland swelling sensation and the docs said it was gerd and anxiety. I have been to pt and chiros and am currently under chiro only. My problem is that now I have pain in my mid back, behind my neck and my shoulders burn. Ok. so here is the thin Yes percs help tremendously, but valium did too. However, cymbalta made me to wired and I get this sensation in my glands that they are swelling from the cymbalta and other certain meds. Docs don't know what I mean and just brush it off with the gerd diagnostic. Anyway, I am just concerened about the longterm effects of using percs. I have found relieve by getting my neck and back massaged by a pt. But how long can this go on. Anyway, I hope someone out there can explain or let me know if they have experienced the following:

Sensation of swollen glands
    severe aches and pain on the back of neck
    mid back spine aches
    Burning sensation at the shoulders.

Thanks -
    Zandy

Old 01-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wondering here zandy,but have you ever actually had an MRI just to really see whats up up there?the symptoms you described could indicate many possible reasons for your symptoms with most of them being spinal or actual spinal cord related.this should just realistically be done before actually seeing any chiro since some conditions can be made much worse,not better when a chiro is doing basically 'blind' adjustments on a spine with certain types of issues going on.it could make things much much worse for some people.it would have for my particular spinal cord issue if i had actually gone that route.its just always best to have the areas he would be working on thoroughly scanned before he starts cracking and adjusting things when he doesn't really know whats underneath there that could become a huge problem.better safe than sorry when it comes to the spine and the cord ya know?have you read the thread started on this back board about chiros yet?they can do wonderful things for people but when they don;t know truely what they may be dealing with,things can happen that they never expected and you,the patient ends up paying for it in some nasty way.ya just need to know what you have before seeking one out,thats all.i do hope you can get an MRI done of the affected area that would really show just what the underlying issues are soon.good luck,marcia

Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
    Sweetgirl
    (female)

Sweetgirl HB User

I just started Cymbalta for the same reason - nerve problems stemming from spine issues. I have a bad S1-L5 disk and C-7 is compressed after having C-4 to C-6 fused two years ago. I'm going for my first epidural steroid shot Wednesday for my lower back.

Both my pain doc and PCP endorsed Cymbalta for pain relief. I've been taking Lexapro for depression & will be ending that. Hopefully I can handle two problems with one pill.

Closed Thread