It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• strange one...good/bad/or nothing at all...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
    jinks66
    (female)

jinks66 HB User
    strange one...good/bad/or nothing at all...

Hi all,

Hope you had good christmases and new years wherever you are in the world.

I had a lovely Christmas although three trips into town for the shopping in the days leading upto christmas just about killed me (!) but thankfully was able to relax between then and new year and had been doing quite good. If I don't do too much, I'm always reasonably comfortable until I decide to do something.

Anyhow, after new year, hubby and I got struck with the flu and spent the last three days in bed. Today, feeling half normal again, I ventured out to the the corner shop to buy some essentials. Usually with the trip I did, I wouldbe feeling some leg pain by about half way round (after about 5mins or so) but I had the wierdest thing. Almost no leg pain (some slight twinges as I came in the door after around 10 mins) but at the point where the leg pain normally starts my leg started to go numb...so my calf, ankle and foot were pretty much dead by the time I got in the house. After 5/10 mins of sitting the numbness passed in exactly the same way as the pain would normally pass.

Anyone ever had this? Its about the furthest I've walked in months without any pain...but also the first time I've ever had the numbness (sometimes a little but usually the pain is blinding by that point). Is it a good thing, a bad thing...or neither? Don't get me wrong...I'd take it over the pain any day but I'm a little perplexed.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jinks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: strange one...good/bad/or nothing at all...

Hi Jinks!! So good to hear from you! I thought you got better and ran away without telling us. I don't know what to think about the numbness alternating with the pain but I just could not let a post go by without saying I have missed you!!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, I have had similar things happen. I had a severe flare of sciatica which ended up mostly coming from L5. From that, I had different symptoms at different times. I've had my left foot/ankle be numb where I couldnt feel where I was walking or stepping; then sometimes I would have extreme pain in my outer ankle & up my leg a bit, like someone was driving a nail gun into my ankle; then it would go numb again, then pain, etc. I've had the same thing occur in various places along that nerve root from my rear end to my foot. Some days in some spots it was pain, other times numbness and/or pins & Needles; sometimes I thought it went away but then all I had to do was move a milimeter in the wrong direction & there it came back again. Sometimes my left foot went totally ice cold; and sometimes, even though my foot was numb, I could not even have my sheets touch the outside of it b/c I had this awful sensation that kind of hurt but was very irritating to my skin. With nerve pain/issues, I think there are all sorts of symptoms that can happen, plus they can change any time or move from one place to the next. It sounds like maybe that is what happened to you.

I never had sciatic nerve pain on my right side (except only in my outer hip areas) but never down my leg that I knew of. I have some awful problems with my right ankle, though, which also causes me pain on & off. Several wks ago I started getting severe sudden sharp nerve pain on the top of my right foot which would come & go at any time. I thought it was coming from my ankle. But then 2 1/2 wks ago I had a caudal epidural and lo & behold, from that day til now I've not had that nerve pain on the top of my foot since the injection. So that tells me that pain was really coming from my spine, not my foot. And I never had any leg pain, pins/needles, numbness or anything down my right leg. It was only happening on my foot top, that's it. So it really is weird the way all the nerves work. I dont want to worry you....but the numbness is probably tied in with your spine issues and just so happens that maybe that day it went numb instead of causing pain, which can happen.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

The nerves are a funny thing. When my sicatica flares up, my entire leg hurts except for my calf. The shooting pains skip right over the calf. Why it choses to skip that part is unbeknownst to me. Glad to hear that you received some relief from the injection Baybreeze.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Thanks Pepper...I was supposed to get another injection after 2 wks, but per the appt. setter, due to the holidays & other appts, I had to wait 4 weeks. So Im getting another on 1/14. In the past these injections seem to wear off after about 3 to 4 weeks, so I hope this one lasts enough til the next one. Then after that Im done & will dread terribly when the last one wears off b/c it will put me into a bad flare as happens every time. But at least I'll have had a few weeks of feelling half way decent.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
    jinks66
    (female)

jinks66 HB User

Hi guys!!!

Thanks for the quick replies... well, just seems like it might be just one of them odd nerve things! I'll let you know if its keeps up or goes back to "my-kind-of-normal". I've had the odd day here or there over the years where I get incredible burning or a lot of excess twitching, but this is the first day in months and months with no pain on walking that kind of distance, and the first time with that degree of numbness. Wierd. Maybe its just my nerves going a bit haywire after the flu.

Anyhow, I had a nose around the boards after posting and boy, it seems to have been an eventful festive period. Moldova and Shawley frightening everyone like that! So glad I read all that after the events. I was sorry to hear about your trials with your surgeon too Diet. Will you be going back to see him next month or is that it for you with him?

Glad to hear about the success (if only temporary) you've been having with the injections too Baybreeze.

Anyhow, well, I'm still hovering about - will try to keep up with things a bit more often...there's so much to catch up on when you've been away even only a couple of weeks!
    Take care
    Jinks

Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Jinks I will never say never but yes I plan on moving on. Take care of yourself and it is great to have you back.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Jinks,
    welcome back! I have nerve damage in my legs, so I get this also: some days just pure pain, sometimes numbness only, sometimes both.

Do you have any nerve damage in that area?

Have a happy and Healthy New Year!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:02 AM   #9
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User

Jinks,
    I also have nerve damage. Some days it is a burning ache, other days it is burning in my calf and my toes are numb. It can skip over some areas and hurt in my thigh and foot and not in my calf. These nerves are strange things. Since the numbness is new for you though I would probably follow up on it with your doc.

Deb

Last edited by deb53; 01-05-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Closed Thread