It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• fell about 10ft and back hurts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
    jothod
    (male)

jothod HB User
    fell about 10ft and back hurts

on sunday morning i tripped and fell into a ditch about 10ft in between my friend's driveway and his neighbors garage....i landed on my back

i got up and walked it off and didnt think much of it, a few hours later it really started hurting so i went to go see a doctor....took Xrays and all that stuff, and he said i didnt break anything but i probably pulled some muscles.....told me to take pain meds, stretch it, and rest......which i have been doing

my back feels just about the same as it did after leaving the doctor, when i roll over in bed i get sharp pains in lower right back; when i sit up, lay down, or stand up i get sharp pains in lower right back; when i walk and do my stretches i get the same pain......it also feels like my movement is restricted......also hurts if i yawn deeply, cough, blow my nose, or clear my throat

anyone have any advice on what i should do to heal my back, and about how long it should be until i feel like working again ??? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
    jeffengland81
    (male)

jeffengland81 HB User
    Re: fell about 10ft and back hurts

Just rest. That's all you can do at the mo. I hurt my back after falling off a running machine of all things in 2001 and was in pain for about three months after. I just rested it and it got better and I never thought about it again for another four years (then I hurt it playing tennis)

I wouldn't meddle too much with it. Just rest and see what happens. Most backs will sort themselves out with plenty of rest - no bending, twisting or heavy lifting. Treat your back like a baby and take pain meds when necessary. Plenty of warm baths are usually quite healing I have found.

Unless you are getting severe leg pain, then you probably haven't got too much to worry about. Just take it easy for a while.

When you do feel a bit better, swimming is a great way of reducing spasm and getting the back muscles rehabilitated. Front crawl or back stroke (breast stroke does nothing)

Just take it easy I would say.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

REST!! You dont want to start doing things that may make things worse for your back/spine. It is important for you to rest on things that provide you with decent support, rather than something say as extreme as a hammock. It's also important for you to not overly bend, lift anything, or twist your spine for a bit until your back settles down and your doctor gives you the okay to go back to doing normal activities again.

If they gave you meds, take them, especially anti-inflammatories, as your back is probably quite inflammed right now and needs some help getting that back under control.

While RESTING, also make sure you force yourself to get up and WALK around the house some. Walking is a great back exercise! It uses and strengthens back and supporting back muscles.

There is no way we could know the extent of your injury to your back and how long it will take for your body to heal. This could be a week or two of hurt and soreness and then back to life again, or this could be a very long drawn out process. Hopefully not the later.

Hang in there. It's hard to not do things, but you must give into allowing your body it's natural defenses and heal you. Keep us posted.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

I'm so sorry your hurt, REST! it can take some time to heal. Good news is it's all muscular and there are no breaks. There are so many muscles and nerves that depend on each other when your moving your back around, ones you don't even think about being used are being used. Walking is the best way to exercise those muscles like Justone has said. I hope & pray you get well soon.

God Bless

Carol

Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
    jothod
    (male)

jothod HB User

thanks for replies.....yesterday i started walking, i HAVE to go back to work on friday i think......anyway im noticing that my range of motion is improving each day.....i can now sit down, stand up, bend over with my knees, reach for things with my left hand without searing pain shooting through me....two days ago that was not the case......still hurts when i laying down and what not but not nearly as bad as past few days......

i guess ill just make others do lifting stuff and bending stuff at work, thanks for replies and advice

Closed Thread