It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Severe Leg cramps

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
    Severe Leg cramps

My pain is the worst it has been since surgery. Surgery was Sept. 2006. In Sept. 2007 the pain started down the leg. I started the epidural shots in November. I had the 6th shot a week ago. Next step is radio frequency. About a month ago I started getting horrible leg cramps. I use to get toe cramps that came and went over the years. Nothing this bad. Lately they are worse and worse. I woke up yesterday with a horrible pain in my calf. It is over 24 hours and it still hurts pretty bad. I tried stretching it out. Nothing helps. The Oxycodone I take doesn't even help. I already take 2400mg of Skelaxin which is a muscle relaxant. I mentioned to the pain managment doctors and they said drink tonic water. I can't drink carbonation first of all. Plus I think I need something more then that. They said Quinine. They took that off the market because of the side effects. I already have low Potassium and take meds for that. It has been a normal reading. I take B12 already. I don't see anything that is different other then the shots. They really hurt. It is not something you can just rub away. They hurt for days. Has anyone gotten alot of leg cramps? What have you done for them? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
    gabnz
    (female)

gabnz HB User
    Re: Severe Leg cramps

I also have leg cramp, in my right leg, due to sciatica.
    Extra magnesium in tablet form helps me.
    I take it just before i go to bed.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
    deeannek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deeannek HB User

I go thru stages with leg cramps and thankfully am not having any now. They do have a homeopathic quinine product on the market, at least they did this fall. I bought some and used it, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I saw another homeopathic drug for restless leg syndrome and I bought it for Doug but I tried for the cramps and it worked very well. I think it is made by a company called Hyland and they have a lot of natural products and the are on the internet too. I guess if you go that path just ask the pharmacist if its ok to take with what your already taking. You know I think the doctors need to switch us around on muscle relaxers now and then. I think after awhile the body gets used to them and they don't work as well. That is just my opinion i haven't read or heard anything that supports that. I hope you feel better soon, Dee

Old 02-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Hessie, sometimes when I have these TERRIBLE things the pain meds do not touch it in the slightest. I have tried using something like icy hot or these patches called lithoderm -- I put them in multiple places on the leg. Sometimes they work, other times they don't. I am so sorry you are experiencing the wrath of this. I actually have them at night frequently and have to get up and walk it out or sometie just changing positions will help.

They say to put ivory soap under your sheets near your feelt will help too.

Eat high potatssium foods such as spinach or bannanas.

Take calcium with magnesium.

Increase your fluid intake.

Drink Tonic water or gator aide.

Sometimes a hot bath will do or putting ice on the affected area.

Can you tell I have experienced these? Hugs and I hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi Hessie,
    I'm so sorry your having these problems. I had leg cramps after my injections this past summer, they didn't last for a long period of time but boy they were 1,000 times worse than normal cramps, I know how much your suffering. I think it's the steroids in the shots causing them, at least for me. I don't have any tips for you, just prayers the relief comes soon.

God BLess

Carol

Old 02-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I still get some cramps & spasms. Lately my left foot's been cramping alot (even while in a shoe walking or driving) and the other day my left calf started in a few times. Actually my left hand has been, also. Before surgery I had severe spasms all the time all over my body, it pretty much stopped after surgery until I got another problem. Last summer I had severe left sided sciatica with pain & foot numbness - my left foot them was always cramping and I couldnt even feel it. It was weird to watch my foot writhe in weird positions without feeling the pain of it. More recently ive been nerve pain in both outer hip areas, left being the worst; I've had 3 ESI"s, the last one being this past Monday....but my left foot still cramps up here & there. I wonder if nerve compression can actually be a cause of the cramping?
    I have tried the gamut things to try to relieve them, including putting the soap under the sheets! But none of it seems to work.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Thanks everyone for your responses. I wish there was some rhyme and reason to these leg cramps. This last one is three days of pain so far. It is a little better today but still hurts. Strange enough it is in the leg that doesn't hurt normally. But I guess the shots can push the steriods to that side. It is like a mega cramp. The dr. said there are meds for it but I take so many other meds that she hates to give me something else. I put a call into her yesterday because it hurt so much. She wasn't in though. I'll see how it goes. It may seem hard to believe but I have a high pain tolerance. But when everything hurts it is too much.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

I had those super duper muscle cramps myself that would grip and last for hours on end, then on the edge of cramping right back up.

Someone gave me some advice to take some calcium supplements. That someone just happened to be a pharamcist alchemist. I have had kindey stones in past years and it wasn't on top of my list to take calcium. But with that pain I was willing to try anything it hurt so badly.

I got some that day, took some, and that night.. no cramps!! NONE! I was amazed, and thrilled to pieces, and my rest was so much more relaxed as well. It took care of it entirely.

Quainine is also used for people, but in our case we would need a RX dose for it to really help enough.

The calcium is a natural mineral and worth a try to see if it helps you. I use a calcium/potassium/magnesium supplement. Calcium is not just for bones but also for our muscles to properly contract.

Hope this brings you relief like it did for me.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Last edited by Justoneofus; 02-02-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #9
    schragie
    Veteran
    (female)

schragie HB User

Hey there, Hessie and fellow cramp sufferers.

I get those monster cramps too in my calves and feet and sometimes I have to get out of bed at night and walk or stretch them out. I started taking a multivitamin a few days ago and they're less frequent, so that's a bonus.

Hessie, I hope yours are temporary and pass soon.

Is it worse for you guys at night? Are these spasms from potassium or calcium deficiencies or somehow related to nerve problems? I guess cramps and spasms go together, eh?

My doc told me to take extra muscle relaxants before bed, but if eating more bananas and spinach will do the trick, I'd rather just do that.
    Bay -- I would put the soap in my bed, but one of my dogs would probably eat it.

Pep -- Lidoderm does zilch for my cramps, but it does help me with the foot pain (the non-cramp variety).

Schragie-girl

Old 02-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
    deeannek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deeannek HB User

My legs always do this in the middle of the night, If I am lucky enough to be sleeping. I had one so bad that I went around limping for a few days.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Mine cramping was mostly at night. They started in the foot or calve and because I couldnt get up fast enough, by the time I got up out of the bed, the cramp would often crawl up the back inner leg up into my thigh and into my groin area. OUCHY!!! It brought tears and my boyfriend right out his sleep too. They hurt soooo much.

I was taking my pain meds and muslce relaxer at the time and it wasn't helping at all.

I kid you not, the calcium/magnesium/potassium supplement cured my problem. I was totally skeptical that it would work, but it did.

It's worth trying it for a few days and see what results you get. It's totally natural (get ones with no crap in them). If you are still not sure, check with your doctor and phramacist.

Wishing you all a crampless night! But it's superbowl night.. so no clinching anything either! lol.

Yep, Im a girly girl that just happens to love football. Seeyou!

Solidly Fused Nov-2006

Old 02-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I started suffering with leg cramps really bad after I herniated 2 discs. Gatoraide, magnesium, calcium and potatsium absolutely helped. Soap in the bed helped with the restless legs. I have three chihuahuas under the covers and they leave the soap alone. I also found before I go to bed if I do leg movements like I am bicycling helps alot.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
    Mel, I have 2 chihuahuas, aren't they the bed hogs, lol. Soap, 3 chi's it's a wonder there's room for you, lol. Just kidding around, I love my lil chi's, Just got done fostering a 2 month old one with a broken leg, had a hard time watching him go to find his forever home. I do foster care for humane society.

All kidding aside, what does the soap do? What kind of soap? I may just keep some by my feet, I still get horrible cramps in my nerve damaged foot, get so bad I want to scream sometimes. I'll be eagerly waiting your reply.

Give those chihuahua's a big kiss for me!

God Bless

Carol

Old 02-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Is it to help ease pain or make them smell better? hehehe. just had to throw that in there. lol. Just kidding guys!

Solidly Fused Nov-2006

Old 02-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
    mamakitkat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mamakitkat HB User

Thats cute, lol.

Carol

Closed Thread