It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• help mri results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
    crystalleyes
    (female)

crystalleyes HB User
    help mri results

hi all was in a bad car accident 8 months ago had grade 3 whiplash still going to physio and massage therapy just had an mri done and this is the results now going to see a neuro surgeon june 9
    31 yr old woman with vertigo and left arm paraesthesia decreased strength
    FINDINGS : there is straightening of the alignment of the cervical spine.The craniocervical junction is unremarkable.There is no abnormal signal intensity in the cord

At c5 -c6 there is central disc protrusion which is causing mild indentation of the cord . There is moderate canal stenosis.There is mild narrowing of the neural foramina bilaterally due to uncovertebral osteophytes.

At c6-c7 no abnormality is seen

There is abnormal hyperintense T2 signal present in the cord at level of T3-T4 in keeping with a small syrinx.
    At T6-T7 there is a right central disc protrusion causing mild compression on the right side of the cord .

IMPRESSION: right t6-t7 central disc protrusion causing mild indentation of the cord.
    At c5-c6 there is a left central disc protrusion causing signifigant canal stenosis

what does all this mean in english and my doctor says the only way to fix this is surgery so he has booked me an appt june 9 with a neru surgeon but says there is alot of risks.

somedays i can not get out of bed in to much pain or sever dizziness and at times my arm is like jello or cold latley has started in my right arm aswell and can not tilt my head back or forward to much i'm a hairstylist and can not work more then 4 hrs without being in so much pain that i come home and take pain killers and just sleep

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User
    Re: help mri results

In your cervical spine (neck/upper back), you have several things going on at C5-6. You can look up on a skeletal map of the spine to see where this disc actually is. The disc is protruding out causing it to press on the nerves (spinal cord). You also have spinal stenosis (which is where the bony part that the cord runs through the spine is "squeezing" the cord there. You also have some bone spurs there.

In your thoracic spine (mid section), you have a mild disc bulge that is mildy pressing on the cord.

I am guessing if they are discussing surgery, it is our cervical area they are focusing on. Areas in the cervical area can cause some major issues if not treated properly. Once you have the consult, and surgery is indicated, get another opinion.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
    crystalleyes
    (female)

crystalleyes HB User

i know there is lots going on i have been in physio and massage therapy twice a week for last 8 months since a week after the accident but it's not helping my arms are getting worse sometimes they are so weak that i can move them and wheni lift my left arm up to shower i can keep it up for max 2 mins then it's burning and hurting and i get so dizzy

Old 03-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
    deedag1955
    (female)

deedag1955 HB User

Hi, totally agree with previous explanation of your mri scan. Would suggest that you prepare yourself before seeing the neurosurgeon. Take a list of questions you want to ask (especially if surgery is on the cards). I have just been to see a neurosurgeon, my problems are in my lumbar area and for all the preparation I made I still forgot to ask certain questions!! Write it down and make sure you get the response down, take someone with you to take notes and do not be afraid to ask - its your body!! You want to know the % success rate, also % risks. Ask the neurosurgeon how many procedures of this nature has he previously done, does he have patients that you can talk with to disuss their experience. Check out the forums and get other peoples experience. Finally, make your decision based upon the urgency of the surgery and your quality of life. Best of luck and I hope you get the answers you need!

Old 03-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
    crystalleyes
    (female)

crystalleyes HB User

how bad is this does anybody know what can happen

Closed Thread