It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

should i be pushing my dr to give me this referral?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20
gwenny99 HB User
should i be pushing my dr to give me this referral?

I'm so frustrated. My physiotherapist wants to send to a ortho surgeon for an mri and to see if surgery is needed. Phsyio, meds, nothing is helping and pain and loss of strength in leg is getting worse. It's been a month. However, I need a referral from my family doctor to go to the ortho surgeon. My family doctor wont' give it. She's wating for the results from an x-ray on Tuesday (which I thought weren't really useful anyway). Why would my family dr not give the referral!! Now, I may have to wait for a long time to get another appt - they are hard to get. Who's in control of my situation - my physio or my family dr?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 983
ladybug8372 HB User
Re: should i be pushing my dr to give me this referral?

x-rays are only useful in looking at bone problems. if its a disc/nerve MRI is the only thing that will detect it. If she refuses the referral right now.....I would PUSH HARD for at least an MRI to be done....and tell her that if she doesnt have it ordered, that you will find a dr that will care enough to get it done!

Last edited by ladybug8372; 03-19-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 836
mznell HB User
Re: should i be pushing my dr to give me this referral?

In the U.S., the doctor would be in charge. I hope you can get this situation straightened out by having a MRI. Can you switch family doctors?

Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20
gwenny99 HB User
Re: should i be pushing my dr to give me this referral?

I just got a call from my dr and they got the x-rays back and now she does want me to go for an MRI. However, she still won't send me to the ortho appt that physio had already set up for Friday. So I'll have to wait for an appt for an MRI thru the hospital. Anyway, at least I'm getting the MRI done now.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Berryville, Virginia
Posts: 2,381
Justoneofus HB User
Re: should i be pushing my dr to give me this referral?

Gwenny. I'm not sure entirely how NHS works up there. But you asked who was in control. YOU ARE! And you must take that stance if you want the proper treatment.

It sounds like your family doc is trying to play super doc and wants to be what I call a Maverick and solve all your problems even if she's not specialized enough to do so.

If I were in your shoes and the ability was available to me, I would change doctors now rather than later. If she's not listening to you now.. what happens down the road when or if you get worse? She's doing what she wants without any consult and agreement with you. There MUST be teamwork between you and any doctor you see, especially when it comes to sleuthing out this back crap.

Keep the appointment to get the MRI done. But when you are in there.. ask them to provide YOU with a copy of the report. They may not give you the films, but they should be able to provide you with a "copy" of the written report of what the radiologist sees on the MRI that will be done. And keep them going forward. It will help you if you need to change doctors and then dont have to wait to obtain that record.

This kind of treatment even happens with the surgeons as well. I had one that did nothing but medicate me and send me to therapy for over 2 years. She should have been running more tests over that time to try and find the source of my pain, but she didnt and I suffered needlessly, but I sat back and just did what she told me, not really involved like I should have been to begin with. After this, I learned to take charge of health and advocate for myself, and searched for the right spine surgeon to help me. I found him!

I hope this helps you some and please let us know what you find out with the MRI. If you can continue with the Physio.. do. Keeping up with as much of it as you possibly can is going to help you in the long run.
"believe in the beauty of your dreams"- E. Roosevelt

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20
gwenny99 HB User
Re: should i be pushing my dr to give me this referral?

Thanks Juston...I lost out on the Fri am appt because they wouldn't book it without a referral from my doctor. But I will try to see if I can get another somewhere else. Otherwise, I have to wait for one of the other hospitals to call back - in Ontario that could be from 1 to 4 months. I'm worried about letting it drag on too long since the leg pain is definitely getting worse, and I can hardly walk on it anymore. I'm taking 20mg oxycontin SR 3x aday for pain and don't want to have to take it for a long time. Also, I havent' been into work and will have to apply for short term disibilty next week. so I was hoping to have an answer soon about whether or not surgery was needed. Otherwise, if it's going to be months from now before I find out, do I need to go back to work in the meantime?

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Should I consider being checked for TMJ? MountainReader TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint 31 12-07-2009 08:40 PM
Should I be worried? Long...... jonahsmom Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 3 05-24-2009 12:14 PM
PC won't give referral kkh47 Lyme Disease 1 10-17-2008 03:33 PM
How Should I Go about Seeing a Doctor for All This? ljd88 Open to All Other Health Topics 1 06-24-2007 04:31 PM
Pain med inneffective what should I do? cptpooface Pain Management 22 12-07-2005 04:58 PM
should i be worried about this being cancer? ConcernedChic Cancer: Colon 6 07-09-2004 08:44 PM
Finding a new Doctor: How should I go about doing so? wannabehotguy Digestive Disorders 2 12-25-2003 07:21 PM
Very low cortisol -- should I look for Addison's? VariegatedFritillary Addison's Disease 9 11-22-2003 11:13 AM
should I have surgery? I'm a single mom! Medikated Mama Pain Management 3 09-19-2003 07:46 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!