It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Drained, exhausted, and in pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
    Drained, exhausted, and in pain

Hi spineys, I have been on here too much lately mainly because i've started my school. I had been taking lyrica and soma to try to somewhat control my various nerve pains and extensive muscle cramps & spasms. While I was home for 3 months, the combo of both meds together was helping somewhat...at least better than any other meds i've tried. But then again, at home, I have more comfy chairs, different chairs, I can sit, stand, or lay down whenever I wanted to. But when I started school, the chairs there are just horrible and I stupidly never even thought about that...It's amazing just how much pain and exhaustion sitting all day can cause. Then I had a dilemma b/c while taking soma & lyrica, I can't focus to well.. I can listen and read my book at school, but my brain isn't absorbing it well enough. So..I was not taking any of these meds in the morning...so I had none in my body all through the day. But then, the pain got (and still is) so bad sitting there being so extremely uncomfortable, plus I cannot even carry or lug around all my books. I sort of figured something out regarding my books, but the sitting is just totally draining me. We do get up after an hour in each class, so I can sort of stretch out a little, but I honesly think the chairs are making things worse. I have to try to find some sort of lumbar support to buy & bring in, and somehow hope it stays on my chair. (there is no lumbar support, it's just a long metal bar on the back of the seat and has a cushion at the top, but that part comes to my mid to upper back)..But anyway, taking the meds causes me not to be able to concentrate enough but the catch 22 is - not taking the meds causes more pain & exhaustion, that I can't concentrate either. :::::sigh::::; I tried to take my meds in the middle of the day one time b/c I was desperate...i got a bit sleepy and couldnt concentrate. So I had another follow up with my PM late this afternoon. He was running a bit behind, so his PA came in & asked me if I wanted to wait for my PM or if I wanted him to take care of my visit today. I didnt care, so he came in and I told him everying. He was extremely nice, actually, really listened to all my concerns. And finally, after me telling him of past meds that didnt work, we decided that he's going to give me 2 scripts each for both lyrica & soma...He said they come in differnt doses, so I will now take a larger dose of both at night (which may also help me sleep)..and in the morning I will start taking a lower dose. And we are hoping that the lower morning dose will keep me attentive enough, but help to keep some of my pain at bay while in school. And it will help keep the meds in my system all day. I guess I will find out next week sometime if this works at all. I really hope so, otherwise this is going to be very tough to get through. I am so exhausted when I get home, I almost fall asleep. I lay down and hardly can't get up again, can't eat b/c my appetite is gone due to the pain. And even though I am so tired & exhausted, I am not sleeping well, which doesn't help. I am almost feeling defeated. So, I'm just kind of venting here.

Try to have the best weekend you can, everyone. At least I get a 3 day weekend to recouperate!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
    mznell
    Inactive
    (female)

mznell HB User
    Re: Drained, exhausted, and in pain

Hello Baybreeze ~

I just finished a search for a portable seat cushion for my aunt. There are a number on the market that should at least make the chair situation a bit better for you. There are many different kinds available; some are all one piece that have both the seat and the back and you can carry it right along with you from car to chair.

I can certainly sympathize with you in that regard. Five years ago I was a docent at an art museum. The auditorium where we had 3-hour meetings, once a week, had seating designed by the (world-famous) architect of the building -- they were beautiful, but were not comfortable for anyone!! I hold the seats responsible for the beginning of my lumbar problems, which resulted in PLIF in January.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

(((((Hugs))))) I could not imagine even trying to sit thru school. I imagine it must be painful. I am so sorry.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
    BlueAtlas
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Your PM sounds wonderful. I hope the new dosage will help. Just curious: if you aren't able to complete the training due to your medical situation, will that help you qualify for disability? Maybe the documentation that you attempted to train for other employment but couldn't due to your circumstances would carry some weight. I know it would be better to be able to work and have insurance and other benefits, but it's just a thought...

I hope you're able to find a good cushion that will help. Is there any possibility of getting a different chair? Is there someone you can talk to about it?

Hope the weekend rest will get you through the next week.
    Take care,
    Emily

Old 05-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi gals, thanks for the support. I do have a cushion thing that I use at home when I sit on my kitchen chairs, but it's pretty thick. I have thought about bringing it to school, but then I will be even higher up. The chairs are not adjustable, not even in height. And I already have a problem b/c I'm too high up (like for keyboarding class). My problem with that is, it hurts my neck. I know I have something going on in my neck as well, that comes & goes..though i've not had that part of my MRI'd yet. ALl their chairs are pretty similar, I found one that is slightly harder seat than the others and I keep that one with me all day. I hate to ask anyone for a new chair...if I had one I could use their that was on wheels, I would ask someone I know to bring it there for me...but all I have is a kitchen chair on wheels, so I'd no way to schlep that back & forth. I think I'll search around the net anyway, maybe I can find some sort of cushion that isn't so thick.Or maybe a doughnut cushion that's a little thinner than the one I have. I'm liking the idea Marlo's mom has about a cushion that has a back and seat on it...as I really need some sort of back support. I'll definnitly check into that. Too bad there aren't battery opertated ones that emit heat! That would be great!

Blue...I really don't know anything about if I would ever qualify for disability. I am pretty stubborn, so I will do everything in every ounce of willpower I can find to stay in school. And it's such a great opportunity and it's free to me. I really hope I don't have to quit. But also, I would never be able to live on the money one gets for disability. There's another woman in my class who has bad spine problems, has a morphine pump implanted. She is on SSDI, but she said she can't live on that & wishes her docs never pushed her into doing it. So she said she's able to work part time while on it...so she's hoping she'll be able to do that after school is done. But I know both of us are so uncomfortable all day; and it sucks lookiing at everyone else, just sitting on their chairs, not squirming, having no problems sitting there all day. Oh well, I guess this is my fate and all I can do is live with it somehow and just do what my body allows. Oh..the doc also said if I get much worse, he'd consider doing another ESI (since it helps me so much)..or he said he could call in medrol dose packs. So thankfully he is actually trying to "manage my pain".

Old 05-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Baybreeze,
    I really like your PM Doctor, seems to me he is very compassion and understanding.
    Also I admire your will power, you should be so proud of yourself. I know how uneasy this is, but you are still trying.
    My heart is going out to you because I know what it means to sit through the day. If I have to sit more than 30 minutes I am ready to scream from back pain and my legs/feet pain (I can't keep them on a floor for too long). I try so hard, but I agree with my body now: I have to do what my body lets me to do.
    I wish you to feel better and to be able to finish what you start: your school.

Hugs and Blessings.....
    Take care!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Baybreeze,
    I really like your PM Doctor, seems to me he is very compassion and understanding.
    Also I admire your will power, you should be so proud of yourself. I know how uneasy this is, but you are still trying.
    My heart is going out to you because I know what it means to sit through the day. If I have to sit more than 30 minutes I am ready to scream from back pain and my legs/feet pain (I can't keep them on a floor for too long). I try so hard, but I agree with my body now: I have to do what my body lets me to do.
    I wish you to feel better and to be able to finish what you start: your school.

Hugs and Blessings.....
    Take care!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you...now see, I never thought of it as willpower, I just think I'm stubbron LOL. I just ordered a lumbar support pillow yesterday so I at least have something for my low back to lean on. It has elastic straps on it so hopefully i'll be able to strap it onto my chair. Too bad I can't sit on a toilet all day HAHHA, because with the big opening, it doesnt put any pressure on my spine. I told my doc that too.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

LOL!! The things we go thru. Baybreeze, don't fall out of your chair but we have my high riser toliet thingy in the homeschool room and guess what? I sit on it all the time. My kids laugh so hard but you know what it is comfy, comfy.

Baybreeze, I'm starting a thread to you cause I don't want to high jack this thread.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

OMGGG , you know what??? My PM even suggested that to me! To use a portable one!!!! Too funny <sort of> but it's help for us!

Closed Thread