It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Does anyone have experience with back injections?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #16
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User
    Re: Does anyone have experience with back injections?

Don't apologize.....None of us understands all of this, especially in the beginning. I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll answer what I can.
    Trigger points can be localized or referred. It depends on the condition. For instance, fibromyalgia trigger points are localized. If there is a specific trigger point, that is where the pain is. In Myofascial Pain, trigger points are referred, and it takes a really knowledgeable doc to know what TP to inject to releive the pain that is occuring elsewhere. That is why TP injections have never really worked for me. (I have myofascial)

So many doctors, therapists and chiros use the term "trigger point" to mean something different. So it can be very confusing. There are steroid injections and believe it or not they are now using botox injections for muscle spasms and pain. I do know, with the steroids, "over injection" to the same site can actually damamge the muscle tissue. Beyond that, I can't really explain why some people seem to have more injections than others. Maybe they are in very slightly different spots that even the patient doesn't realize. Just feels like the same spot. Or the doc doesn't know how to do them correctly. Sad, but it happens.

I hope I helped a little. I'm sure others can answer your questions more thoroughly. Take care, CMP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #17
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Thanks Cmpgirl - that was a very informative reply and I appreciate the time you took to type it out.

I've been following your posts. I've had zero energy for a long time once went to a clinic because I felt awful, and my Whie Blod Count was just under 17,000. They sent me home with an AB to return in3 hous and if my white count was still that high they were going to admit me. This was in the mid 90's and all I did was work 70 hours a week. Thankfully the count dropped to 13000 and I was allowed to recuperate at home with follow ups. It was at this time from someone asked me if had ever been DX'd with Chronic Fatigue. It was relatively new then (I think) and hardly any doctor believe it. I've been reading with interest fibromyalgia and am thinking "I have all the symptoms"but my back doctor says the ailment doesn't exist!

Maybe I should investiage this a bit further. My back doctor said, when the artile appeared in teh New York Times "this if not a legitimate condition"" and threw the paper way so II thought it best not to raise it with him!
    Thanks again. I'll make notes and take them with me when I ivisit my PCP in 2 weeks.

Thank you

Old 07-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
    peggylee66
    (female)

peggylee66 HB User

[QUOTE=kim46;3564143]Thanks again Ladybuggy. Good luck with your epidural shot(s). A friend of mine had one this past week as well (directly into the spine) and she received pain relief from it, though she had to stay in recovery for while as she couldn't put weight on her leg for a couple of hours - it would give out.

I'm in physical therapy and have been going weekly for a little over a year now. I'll raise it with them when I go for PT. I expect they'll give me another the following week (spaced 2 weeks apart).

Again, I wish you the best with your injections.[/QUOTE]
    To Ladybuggy02,
    I've been going to a pain and rehabilitation institute since Feb of this year and still have no relief. I even mentioned having an MRI to find out if there's anything internal causing the pain but the Dr. just looked @ me like I was crazy so I stopped going. This Dr. also works with a (so called) Chiropractor & one day he was doing an "adjustment" on me when I heard a loud "CRACK" & I told him that hurt me & he acted like he didn't care & didn't care! So I am going back to my family Dr. & telling him how I was treated, I front of other patients also I might add. I am in pain constantly. There's gotta be a better way to live.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
    fenderpig
    (male)

fenderpig HB User

The injections will useually help on a short term bassis. They do these sometimes to see if they have pinpointed the area that is effecting you . I have had numerous injections and to no real succsess ,but I to, always felt sore and a stabbing pain. but it did help them to pinpoint the area. I have my nerves burnt.. and to be honest, it does help. I , like so many others , am on a pian med regiment. but the combined treatment helps me to feel somewhat human , if there is a way lol . hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
    patti1412
    (female)

patti1412 HB User

Hi Kim46, I myself just went today (7/16) for an injection in my lower back and this was like my 8th one and they don't seem to help me either why? I don't understand.!! I can feel the hot stuff from the shot going down both legs and in very lower back,and after they have the smelling salt to wake me up. Only cuz they don't tell ya not to take oxy with the sleeping pill they give ya... but I always feel like I've been run over by a truck after having this done and I don't get it either..so I feel just the same ..good luck to you..

L3toS1 Fusion
    w/hardware
    plus Laminectomy
    Chronic pain patient
    medtronic my stim implant
    Drop foot

Closed Thread