It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• recovering at home from discectomy and forminectomy (sp??)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
    chm1023
    (female)

chm1023 HB User
    recovering at home from discectomy and forminectomy (sp??)

I have had back problems forever. Nothing was working. I was having pain down the right leg. The doctor decided on surgery. Had surgery last Thursday. My leg was immediately better because he removed part of the bone..but the pain i was in..was almost unbearable. I was in the hospital overnight..taking pain meds every three hours. Tomorrow will be the one week mark. I really thought the pain would have gone away already..and the stiffness that i have. it's a chore every time i move.

Today i have started having pain to the right of my incision..on the inside..but there is a red mark on the outside right where its hurting..its very very weird.

I also have degen disc disease as well...

has anybody had this surgery? how long does it take to fully recover.

i have a two year old and i miss him terribly. i can't pick him up for about 4 -6 weeks...

i am still on a great deal of pain meds...

any advice out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
    chatterboxsd
    Veteran
    (female)

chatterboxsd HB User
    Re: recovering at home from discectomy and forminectomy (sp??)

Well, you are still VERY fresh from surgery!!! Please give yourself some more time to recover! Don't worry about taking pain meds for a few weeks. You don't want your body to get in the pattern of being in constant pain. That is not good for anything: your healing, your mood, nothing!

I would check with your doctor or PT before picking up your child - as much as you want to - you need to be healed enough. He'll still love you and be able to snuggle on the sofa or however you figure out ways to cuddle. I'd see if you could meet with a PT about the body mechanics so that you do it correctly and don't set yourself back. Maybe there are some exercises you can do (when you're more healed) to prepare to pick him up. Going from picking up nothing to a 2-year-old is quite a lot!

Hang in there! It's normal to have pain at this point. I had a little forminotomy on one surgery and then my surgeon did it even more on the next surgery I ended up having. Yes, it's painful to have bone operated on! But, it really did help my nerve pain in the end.

Take care of you!
    - Margaret

Closed Thread