It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Myelogram Finally Orderded....any advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User
    Myelogram Finally Orderded....any advice?

My orthopedic surgeon was backed up today, so we met with his PA.(I had met him before and liked him). Well, he took all that I was saying very seriously. I brought my husband with me for the first time and my husband told him that my pain is so bad that I cry every single day.

I asked him many questions about my pain, but finally asked the right now. I asked him if my nerves were permanentally damaged, then why does my pain go away for several weeks after an ESI? He said that indicates to him that there is something there that we cannot see that is causing irritation of the nerves and probably not permanent nerve damange. So he ordered an EMG and a CT Myogram. He they don't do these tests much anymore, but in my case, it might just show something that the MRI is not picking up.

Does this sound right to all of you? Have any of you had a Myelogram? I hate the unknown and get VERY nervous when I don't knw what to expect. Is this test painful? I know some describe it as uncomfortable, but what does that mean? Also, my instructions say to rest for the remainder of the day after the procedure and to resume normal activities the next day. I read a few posts here about people lying down for 2 days. I have my 2 and 3 yr old to take care of. Should I arrange help the next day?

Thanks again for everyones help. I don't think I would have made it this far without all of you.

10sox

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
    mznell
    Inactive
    (female)

mznell HB User
    Re: Myelogram Finally Orderded....any advice?

[i][b]REMOVED[/b][/i]

I think you should arrange for help as you need to stay in bed for 24 hours after you are released from the hospital and it is important you aren't popping up and down as you enhance your chances of developing a spinal headache that way.

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-18-2008 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Directing searches is not permitted, Please read the posting rules

Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
    happygirl440
    (female)

happygirl440 HB User

Hi,

I had a myleogram in August of this year. I can not have a MRI any longer due to an implant last year.

When they compared the MRI of 7-07 to the myleogram of 8-08 WOW!!!
    I have had no accidents or falls since the MRI and the difference was huge.
    I have a lot more spine damage then they suspected including the fact that my spine is broken in four different places that the MRI never showed.

As for the myleogram it self. For me it felt the same as getting an epidural shot. It took about 3 hours since they did my whole spine and take a ton of x-rays. Then the CT was only about 5 mins long. Afterwords I had to stay in the out patient area of the hospital for 4 hours to make sure I did not get a headache. I had to sleep with my head elevated for 3 days afterwords as well. My daily activity was limited to no driving for 24 hours, no lifting for 3 days and no bending for 3 days too.

Good Luck!
    Cindy

Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

I've had two myelograms, and you are correct. They aren't done so often anymore, but are done if there is suspected nerve compression or spinal cord compression. They aren't bad....but they are uncomfortable. And you do have to follow the directions given to you by the hospital for post myelogram. I was back up and taking care of my kids the following day, just not lifting them up to carry them around. That is so that the puncture does not begin to leak.... and drink caffeine. It does help to keep a spinal headache at bay. Regular caffeinated coffee, tea or soda helps.
    They will place you on an xray table and have you lay on your stomach. They will clean the area they are going to do the contrast injection several times, and then they will tell you not to move, so whatever you do, do not move....then they will roll you onto your side for a few minutes and do the removal of a small amount of fluid, and then do the insertion of the contrast material. They will take some fluroscopic pictures that you will be able to see on the tv screen in front of you.....afterward, you will go right to the CT area where they will do the CT scan and then upstairs for about 4 hours to rest flat on your back with your head kept level with your body.....after that , you will be sent home, with instructions to keep your head elevated but no more than 20-30 degrees ( means one or two smaller pillows), and getting up to use the toilet and meals but other than that, laying down for 24 hours from the time of the myelogram .
    Hope this all helps you not to be so scared. I was terrified the first time since I had no idea what to expect.....and it really was not so bad.
    Sandi M

Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User

Thank you all so much for your replies. I tend to get all worked up and worried about these kinds of procedures. I wish they could give me something to help my anxiety, but I know that is probably not going to happen.

In regards to lying down for 24 hours, how do you sleep that night? Can I sleep like I normally do, on my side using one pillow under my head?

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
    happygirl440
    (female)

happygirl440 HB User

Why not ask your Dr for something for the anxiety?
    Cindy

Old 09-18-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

Yes hon, you can sleep as you normally do that night. As I said, the staying down after the myelogram is for your protection, so that you don't cause a spinal leak by lifting the kids or something heavy like a load of laundry. As long as you take it easy when you get home and that night, you will be fine by the next morning.
    And you can ask for something for anxiety. That has no effect on the test results at all.
    Sandi

Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User

Thank you all SOO much for your words and I wil ask for something to help my anxiety. I don't know why I get all worked up about things like this. I just scheduled this for next Friday, so my husband will be able to help me with the kids on Saturday (lifting and such).

I also have an EMG scheduled for Monday morning. I know they stick little needles in you,but that's about all i know. I am not really worried about this test at all.

Thanks again!!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
    happygirl440
    (female)

happygirl440 HB User

EMG's are little needles they stick into you. They receive the nerve results right away.

I've had two and they did not hurt at all but a lot of people say how horrible it is. I had one for lumbar and the other was for my neck/hands.
    I do have a very high pain tolerance.

The test takes about an hour.

Ask your Dr for something for this test too to relax you.

Good luck sweetie.
    Cindy

Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

The nerve conduction study and emg are tests that I believe you should not take something to calm you for....it may cause a delay in the response of the nerves if you do, but check with the doctor who is doing the emg first.
    There are two parts of the test.....the first part, they use a little disc and a thing that looks like a taser to send little shocks down to the nerves they are testing. It twinges a bit but doesn't hurt.....then the second part of the test is the part that they use a tiny needle to insert into the muscles to test whether or not the muscles are recieving the signals from the nerves properly...that does hurt a tiny bit. For me, it was a bit more than tiny, but I know that my body's reaction is not typical for the test.
    Good luck to you on both tests. I hope they turn out fine.
    Sandi

Old 09-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User

I don't even have any kind of anti-anxiety drug in my house. I've never been prescribed one before. So, unless they give one to me the day of the procedure, I won't be getting one. I definatley don't want anything to interfere with the results.

I am so torn about how I feel about these tests. Part of me wants them to find something on the myelogram. This way it will give a reason for my pain. But then again, I was told if they do find something, then we will have to discuss fusion options. I just don't understand how I can be in pain for a whole year after my surgery and have no explanations. I guess that's the nature of back problems.

Thanks again.
    10sox

Closed Thread