It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5S1 to L4-5 level why..?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
    Disc
    (male)

Disc HB User
    L5S1 to L4-5 level why..?

Is there any corelation between them had L5S1 bothering me for last 4 years towards my right leg and foot but felt too much of pain in left hip and leg couple of months back and recent MRI shows "Central broad based disc herniation at the L4-5 level with displacement and mild compressive deformity of the descending L5 nerve roots bilaterally."
    Can anyone explain what is going on ,why will this happen though i had original herniation at L5S1 due to heavy lifting incident.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
    mznell
    Inactive
    (female)

mznell HB User
    Re: L5S1 to L4-5 level why..?

Since those two levels are adjacent to each other, my guess is that when you herniated the L5-S1 disc, there was probably pressure put on the disc immediately above it, too. Perhaps your body is guarding the disc that was herniated and your muscles, etc. are compensating to keep the level safe, causing more stress on the L4-5 disc. These are the two levels that take all the brunt of our bodies' movement and are the ones that become damaged most often.

The MRI states that you have a herniated disc at the L4-5 that is bulging out,taking up space that is normally used by the nerve root, causing the neural root to be pinched.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: L5S1 to L4-5 level why..?

When one level is damaged in an injury (or even when it's natural degeneration due to age) the adjacent levels are at risk. They take on more of the work as we alter the way we move, lift, etc. So it's not unusual for adjacent areas to later show signs of problems and have symptoms occur.

Closed Thread