It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Going into 4th week post-op ALIF.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
    lynn1961
    (female)

lynn1961 HB User
    Going into 4th week post-op ALIF.....

Hi everyone....

I am appoaching week 4 post-op ALIF surgery. I am looking for opinions on going to the gym to walk the treadmill? I know walking is the greatest thing to do for your whole self. My plan is to start out walking slow. And slowly build my pace and distance. I feel as if I donot walk enough. I just wanted to get other people's insight? I donot see where this would do any damage to my fusion. I feel as if maybe it will help heal me quicker.

LYNN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
    Devon07
    (male)

Devon07 HB User
    Re: Going into 4th week post-op ALIF.....

If the treadmill is your only option for walking I think being very careful would be okay....although I am against it....I think walking at the park,mall,store,etc would be better....for one its more productive to have a natural walk.....and much safer....one slip on a treadmill could potentially put you back in surgery!....but if its the only option and with careful speeds....I guess its better than no walk at all...just be careful and good luck with your fusion.

Devon

Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
    lynn1961
    (female)

lynn1961 HB User

Thank you for the reply devon.......it is always good to get an opinion of others. I think you are right though. I got to thinking....what if my leg doesnt want to move as fast as my brain and I fall on the treadmill? LOL Wouldnt be too good. Especially at only 4 weeks post op. And I know the fusion hasnt taken that quick. I think I will go to the gym.....and just walk the small track there. I live in MO. so, the weather is too cold for me to do a nature walk as of yet. I love being outdoors but not in the cold. I will save the treadmill for when I am better It might take me a zillion rounds on the small track to make even a half mile but at least I am walking huh? I do believe that walking is the best thing for this kind of recovery. Again......thank you for the reply and I hope you good results as well

LYNN

Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
    momof2girlies
    (female)

momof2girlies HB User

Hi, Lynn! I'm in MO too and not looking forward to finding ways to get my walking in when I have my fusion in 3 weeks! I just plan on going to the mall every once in a while, or walking on the track at the gym. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
    lynn1961
    (female)

lynn1961 HB User

hiya momof2girlie.....

Good luck to you on your up-coming fusion. I am starting to get better daily. I still have pain and still on pain meds. but I am starting to see where I am healing. I am just 4 weeks post-op now. Had I not had the set back <due to a severe nerve flare-up pain> I feel I would even be better than I am. When I wake up in the morning, I dont feel pain till I get out of bed and walk. And then it eases up after I am walking. I do have a walker but I only used 1 day since Ive been home from the hospital. Is your fusion a ALIF or PLIF? I had a ALIB myself. As far as the walking.....Ive been walking in my basement but I think if I would have more room to walk I would walk more. For now.....I have been doing several laps several times a day. I think walking is important Well good luck to you and hope all goes great for you

LYNN

Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
    Ematork
    (female)

Ematork HB User

Hi, I'm new to this, going to have l4,l5 ALIF May 6th, would like to know what to expect when I come home from the hospital. How bad will I feel and what will I be able to do?

Closed Thread