It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Revision, Revision, now another revision L4-L5

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
    rainiermec1
    (male)

rainiermec1 HB User
    Revision, Revision, now another revision L4-L5

Revision, Revision.
    Here I am again, had to register again, therefore the new name. After my Revision in October 2007 my pain was greatly reduced. Then 6 months ago it started again, first in the lower back then radiating across the butt and then progressing down the typical leg dermatomes. I founs a new surgeon last week and he sent me in for a CT Myleogram which shows "A fracture or pseudarthdosis at L4 at the Lamina where it intersects the pedicle." Also there is no evidence of a "solid interbody fusion" and "Solid confluent bone block traverses the posterior elements on the left, minimal if any bone block is evidenced on the right"

This is after a complete revision with new hardware. My Surgeon told me I was fused at 6 months with very high certainty, even after I started complaining of pain. He then dumped me to pain management. I have been on Oxycodone x 40 mg/ day along with a myriad of muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories.

I guess the moral of the story is if you are in pain and do not feel right, find a doc that will go further than a typical x-ray. With mine he looked at them and pointed out the fusion saying all was great for six months, when I finally starting disagreeing, I was off to the pain doc.

So today it is back to a new surgeon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: Revision, Revision, now another revision L4-L5

Sorry to read this Rain, I also had to have a revision of my L4-5 fusion 17 months after being told that I was solidly fused ( I KNEW that it couldn't be possibly fused), and developing a post op Cauda Equina Syndrome that my first surgeon failed to treat, had me out doing a search on my own for another surgeon and a fresh look at things. Several of the other surgeons that I saw , all said that I was not fused, and that 2ndly I had CES, and needed to have a revision to try to save what nerves I had functioning left and to stop the progression of my rapid deterioration. The 2nd surgeon did my revision but has not done even an xray since my revision 18 months ago now, so I don't know if I am fused or not....I am going to have to have a new MRI because my legs are buckling, which almost had me knocking over my PM at my last appointment, so hopefully, I will find out if I am fused or not......I dread the very idea of a third surgery.....I don't know if I have another one left in me if I am not.....Blessings to you ,
    Back

Closed Thread