It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Severe Butt Cheek and Leg Pain due to Scoliosis???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
    Lulubel
    (female)

Lulubel HB User
    Severe Butt Cheek and Leg Pain due to Scoliosis???

Has anyone had XRays or MRI's and discovered they had Scoliosis too?

I have had severe, debilitating butt cheek and leg pain for the last month and had XRays and was floored to find out I have a moderate case of Scoliosis. Huh?

My DX from the XRays were Moderate Scoliosis, Bone Spurs and Decreased Disc Space at L5 S1. I am 49 and have had back problems since I was 6-7 when a chubby girl fell on me. Over the years I have had nerve blocks, trigger point injections, adjustments, pain meds, etc. But nothing lasted. Last spring my dog was feeling "frisky" and went after another dog and I landed on my butt. I was down for the count for several weeks but it wasn't until I walked over 5 miles last month that this butt cheek and leg issue kicked in. It was the most horrible, unrelenting pain I have ever been in. Having a 9lb baby naturally was nothing compared to this. Throw up migraines were a day in the park. My knee dislocating was a tickle compared to the pain I was in for 3 weeks. Now it's just a constant burning, stabbing, gripping pain from my back down to the bottom of my foot. I can't hardly sit on the potty and the only somewhat relief I can get is if I lay on my left side. Pain meds and muscle relaxers just dull the raw edge of the pain. Since I won't know if my disc is herniated or ruptured unless I have an MRI, does this pain sound familiar to anyone with Adult Scoliosis? Bone Spurs? No disc space?

Unfortunatly I am un-insured and unemployed, and unfortuantly I won't be able to pursue this any further for over a year. In the state of Florida, you can't be insured for preexisting conditons for 1 year if you purchase a policy. Maybe I will be lucky to find a job with insurance benefits and can be grandfathered in???? that is once I can walk without a limp or dragging my foot. Or loaded on pain meds. Which is another question. Has anyone been able to find a job of any type with off the scale pain?

Any help would be great!

Lynda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
    sophie56
    Veteran
    (female)

sophie56 HB User
    Re: Severe Butt Cheek and Leg Pain due to Scoliosis???

I have the exact same thing. I could have written that e-mail word for word. I have and L5 S1 disc herniated (mri found it)....Having back surgery Thursday 21st. I do feel your pain literally and it will NOT stop it will get worse everyday. Good luck and I will say a prayer for you.
    Sophie 56

Old 05-16-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
    cheryl810
    (female)

cheryl810 HB User

I have a bulging disk, DDD, annular tear and scoliosis right in the same area and get the butt cheek, leg pain and knee pain but not as severe as you're getting it. I can sympathize for sure the pain your going through and can only imagine your frustration not being able to do anything about right now...
    Unfortunately Sophie56 is right, it doesn't get better but only worse. Mine has gotten much worse over the past year. I've had these problems for at least 7 years or so and it's getting worse each year; this year being the most extreme jump of pain ever.
    All I can say is I truly hope you can get it taken care of soon!!! The economy is not exactly on our side and it's unfortunate that MANY people are in the same situation; they NEED the insurance and don't have it!!!!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
    Lulubel
    (female)

Lulubel HB User

Good Morning Sophie and Cheryl

Thanks for your replies. Not that I was happy to hear it will only get worse but that there are other people experiencing the same pain. I can't imagine a pain that is 15 on a one to ten scale getting much worse. Right now it's at a 8-9 on a daily basis. I hobble around grabbing my butt and looking ridicolous. I've only had this pain for a month and I am ready to perform surgery on my back, myself. I'm trying to get back into life slowly, even though I am not anywhere where I was in April. I couldn't walk 500 feet without stopping and grabbing my butt much less 5 miles.

Anyway, my doctor was not in the office last week so I haven't talked to him yet about the results. But I am savvy enough to figure out the DX using the info on the internet. The scoliosis, I'm not worried too much about and will deal with that in 10 years or whenever it gets worse. But I'm thinking that either the bone spurs or the decreased disc space (whatever the reason for that) is the from my fall last spring. As I only have problems at the L5 S1 disc. The rest of my back is fine, except for the curve. And the vertebrae there are fine too. So to my laymans way of thinking, something is pressing or compressing or something on the sciatic nerve which in turn is causing the severe butt and leg pain. Makes sense to me?!

Good luck on your surgery Sophie. And please when you are up to it, post a message and let us know how you are doing. I am very interestd in your outcome and recovery.

Lynda

Old 05-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
    sophie56
    Veteran
    (female)

sophie56 HB User

Lulubel, we have a hospital here that will accept you without medical insurance. I live in Memphis, TN. Do you have anything like that near you?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
    Lulubel
    (female)

Lulubel HB User

Sophie,

Hey! I'm in Jacksonville, Florida. Funny-I was in Memphis last year coming home from Montana. You have some scary roads in that town! They are some kind of narrow, by some railroad tracks, going south out of the city.

Anyway, we have Shands Teaching Hospital. I know they care for indigent folks at the clinic, and they have what is called a Shands card. Due to no job or insurance I can get that, but they audit "everyone" in your household. If I was homeless I could get it. Currently I am at my Moms, and she make over the allowed $550 a week which is the maximum anyone in your household can make. Even though my mother is not responsible for paying my bills. And I have checked with Medicaid and I fall into that grey area. To young, no children at home, etc.etc.etc. I have checked with buying a policy but they don't cover pre-existing conditions for one year. And I have had back problems documented with my current Internist over the years.

I have pretty much decided to deal with the pain with pain meds and muscle relaxers and next time it hits me like it did, go to the ER at Shands. They won't turn me away and as long as I send something every month, they will stay off my back (literally-no pun intended). I just hate going that route. I just hope it doesn't happen during a weekend. We have some mean streets around here lately. Shands is where all the drive by shootings and stabbings end up.

So, here I sit....kinda in limbo. I really hate waiting.

Lynda

Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
    sophie56
    Veteran
    (female)

sophie56 HB User

Yeah, same thing here as far as location of the hospital but sometimes we have to do what we have too. Good luck and I'll pray for you.

Closed Thread