It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Dizziness after cervical ops

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
    jdesimone
    (female)

jdesimone HB User
    Dizziness after cervical ops

Has anyone experienced dizziness after cervical fusion? I have 2 disks removed from my neck in 2001. I had a 2nd surgery 9/2007 had one more disk removed, the old plate and screws removed and fused this time with bone from my hip and a shorter plate was put in with screws. I've never felt great after either surgery but, this time I'm getting dizzy alot this past year. My neck and shoulders hurt all the time. Can't bend my head down to read anything, I have to have it elevated to eye level. This can't be normal. Other than calling my surgeon, anyone have any suggestions or have gone though this one before??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Dizziness after cervical ops

Hi...I'm Jenny and I'm fused from C3 to T1. I was told that the persistent dizziness may be from the brain needing to be retrained to pick up the clues as to where you are in space. when you move, your head makes thousands of tiny moves to keep your inner ear and brain where it needs to be. Any fusion stops some of those movements so you have more problems with balance and dizziness. I'm just now going through some PT for the balance problems that have come back again. It's brain training.

But I'd let your surgeon's office know. You could have something blocking fluid flow from the brain down the spinal canal and the buildup might be causing the dizziness. You could probably use a post-op MRI. I get yearly x-rays with a yearly check-up by my surgeon but he just did a MRI to make sure everything was okay. So call anyhow.

Other than that, check with your primary. Might be an inner ear problem. But rule out neck problems first.

Come on down to the Spinal Cord Disorders board and say hello to the other cervical folks.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 06-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
    suerein
    (female)

suerein HB User
    Re: Dizziness after cervical ops

[QUOTE=jdesimone;4013861]Has anyone experienced dizziness after cervical fusion? I have 2 disks removed from my neck in 2001. I had a 2nd surgery 9/2007 had one more disk removed, the old plate and screws removed and fused this time with bone from my hip and a shorter plate was put in with screws. I've never felt great after either surgery but, this time I'm getting dizzy alot this past year. My neck and shoulders hurt all the time. Can't bend my head down to read anything, I have to have it elevated to eye level. This can't be normal. Other than calling my surgeon, anyone have any suggestions or have gone though this one before??[/QUOTE]

I have just had my 3rd cervical neck surgery. I get alot of headaches and dizziness not, I called my primary doctor, she states it is vertigo. I will be calling my surgeron to inform him.

Closed Thread