It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Possible pars defect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
    dishdope
    (male)

dishdope HB User
    Possible pars defect?

I'm not sure if I have a possible pars defect from my x-rays. The L5 is still behind the S1 which is a good sign. But Ive seen that people can have a pars defect and still good positoning.

I have a bad lower back with very minimal leg pains. Mild scoliosis and uneven pelvis. I dont know what came first or what caused what.

In the x-ray, it looks lke there may be a break but its not a definite divide. I wish i could post the x-rays for you to see, I even have a link to a website where you could see them... too bad.

So I guess my question is... How can I tell if I do have a pars defect?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
    whattothink
    (female)

whattothink HB User
    Re: Possible pars defect?

I believe you need a x-ray taken slightly from the side - I think they are called obliques. The radiologist will use this to see if your pars are intact. My husband had this done a couple years ago.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
    dishdope
    (male)

dishdope HB User

thank you whattothink, yea the x-rays i have now are not like that. They are taken from the sides.

Last edited by dishdope; 07-19-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
    brendaks1
    Inactive
    (female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User

I am not familiar with this spinal problem or the fix the doctor has suggested. However, any back surgery is serious and should not be taken lightly. I would find out more from this doctor what the surgery is called and what exactly would be done. Also, I wouldn't let my daughter go through back surgery without getting at least one or more second opinions. It's amazing how many doctors differ significantly on their opinions of the problem and their proposed fixes. Find the one you are most comfortable with before proceeding as you will be stuck with this surgeon afterwards for quite a while as no other doctor will touch a recent back surgery patient that a different surgeon did.

Normally for spondolisthesis I have heard the fix is a fusion which is a really big deal; however, many teenagers are able to bounce back from it quite well. Find out if the fix will involve a fusion of some type.

As far as letting your daughter return to gymnastics, this is a time to remember that she is not mature enough to make this decision and you as the parent need to make the decision for her regardless of how much she pressures you. She is at an age where she thinks she is invincible and nothing bad will happen. If something bad did happen though, she could end up with lifelong pain or numbness, or even in a wheelchair. Again, be sure to get at least one more doctor's opinion about this before making this decision for your daughter.

Best wishes!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
    brendaks1
    Inactive
    (female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User

Sorry - I just realized I posted my reply on the wrong message!

Best wishes for your spinal problem though.

Closed Thread