HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Q: Sciatica and drugs for it (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/705382-q-sciatica-drugs.html)

upstateNYted 07-25-2009 10:54 AM

Q: Sciatica and drugs for it

Hi all, I had an acute bout of Sciatica 4 days ago, and started taking M.prednisolone, cyclobenzaprine, and voltaren on the same day, as prescribed. Now, I don't have back pain nor pain my my leg...however, I'm still partially numb in part of my foot and calf.

Since I dont' have pain anymore, should I still be taking any of these drugs? Can I go off them (or at least finish the 6-day methylprednisolone pack) or is it somehow still good to take anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant even though the pain is gone?

Thanks, and new here,
Teddy

brendaks1 07-25-2009 01:54 PM

Re: Q: Sciatica and drugs for it

Your sciatic pain is all very new and there's a good chance the reason you are in less pain or no pain is due to the steroids (M.prednisolone) or anti-inflammatories reducing the inflammation and therefore allowing your nerve roots to no longer be pinched enough to cause severe pain. Steroids don't last forever and there is a good chance the pain will return in the future if the underlying problem has not been addressed - sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It is great news that your pain has been reduced so much, but the fact that you still have numbness indicates there is still some nerve root compression that may be a long-term problem. This is usually caused by a herniated/bulging disc in your lower spine.

For the cyclobenzaprine and voltaren call your prescribing doctor to get instructions from them as to how much you should take considering what your symptoms currently are.

If your pain symptoms return or the numbness doesn't go away within a few weeks, insist on a lumbar MRI to find out if you have one or more herniated discs. Herniated discs don't always require surgery but can take a lot of time and conservatives treatments like PT, medications and injections to get better.

Warm wishes!

SctcSufferer 07-27-2009 07:57 PM

I would be very, very cautious. I went thru a similar process in January of this year, where I had sciatic pain, took methylprednisolone, felt better, and started playing sports again.

Unfortunately, the pain came back after a few weeks (in part, I think, because I was so active and feeling so good after my medrol dosage that I was playing sports to the limit).
I eventually had to go thru another round of medrol in April, which again gave me temporarily relief, only to have the sciatic pain come back again a month or so later.

I just got an epidural steroid injection 2 months ago (late May), and although I feel better now, am taking it very slow. I've learned my lesson that you don't want to overdo anything because anti-inflammatories are masking the pain.

Take it slow and be very alert of what activities make your symptoms worse/better and adjust corresondingly.

Good luck!

upstateNYted 07-28-2009 12:48 AM

Thanks for the informative replies, i just don't want to be drugged up all the time is all